The Haven Lite Strategy by Sthrngary

Sthrngary

1 minute ago, firstimecruiseronncl said:

It was mentioned that they were sold out ahead of time. 

So it's sold out for your cruise? You said "if," so I could only comprehend that you meant in the eventual possibility that your hypothetical future cruise is sold out....ergo, you could purchase the pass on your potential cruise that may happen that you haven't yet booked when Vibe passes go on sale. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

So it's sold out for your cruise? You said "if," so I could only comprehend that you meant in the eventual possibility that your hypothetical future cruise is sold out....ergo, you could purchase the pass on your potential cruise that may happen that you haven't yet booked when Vibe passes go on sale. 

Of course I would try to get them as soon as they become available. My concern is that they will sell out quickly once everyone is aware of the new process.

• Like 1

Dear Sthrngary,

Thank you so much for all the information in this post and your original Haven post. I have been reading and learning so much.  Although we are going Haven lite for our first NCL cruise, I do have a question about Vibe Beach Club.  I am sailing to Alaska on the Encore in a couple weeks and wonder if it is worth it since this is a cooler weather cruise than some others and not sure that beach chair lounging is something I will do much of on this type of cruise.  Would you still suggest getting Vibe because of other amenities offered? Or would you skip for Alaska? 

Thank you so much,

Denise

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, firstimecruiseronncl said:

Of course I would try to get them as soon as they become available. My concern is that they will sell out quickly once everyone is aware of the new process.

My posts are all about strategy.  Realistic expectation.  Making your cruise experience the best it can be.  The game has changed on the Vibe Beach Club.  What if none of us knew the game changed.  What if we did what we always did.  Got on the ship super-fast, even paid extra to get on faster just to run to the Vibe Beach Club Desk.  We were there first but they were sold out.  How would we feel then.  

At least new we know, when you book your cruise, book your Vibe.  Simple as that.  If you can't get the Vibe, make a decision on if you want to cruise if you feel strongly that way.  Better to be informed. 

Now to clarify a couple of points.  The Cruise I am on is a special cruise.  It is for the winners of the slot tournaments from all NCL ships from 2021.  The Haven is almost sold out and that is very unusual for a cruise 150 days away.  The people going on this cruise are not new to cruising and they found out just like we did, the new game for the Vibe.  

On my Cruise which is December 4, 2022; on the Breakaway out of New Orleans; 150 days in advance the Vibe week passes are sold out.  The Cabana's in the Vibe are sold out.  That is a fact.  This does not mean your cruise is sold out.  The new game again is when you book, book your Cabana or Vibe pass.  Nothing is going to change that.  

Folks, I do not do post to create controversy or to promote fear. I do it so those that read my post can be as informed as I am, so we have the best possible cruise experience. 

Cruise well everyone and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, CruiseCatt said:

Dear Sthrngary,

Thank you so much for all the information in this post and your original Haven post. I have been reading and learning so much.  Although we are going Haven lite for our first NCL cruise, I do have a question about Vibe Beach Club.  I am sailing to Alaska on the Encore in a couple weeks and wonder if it is worth it since this is a cooler weather cruise than some others and not sure that beach chair lounging is something I will do much of on this type of cruise.  Would you still suggest getting Vibe because of other amenities offered? Or would you skip for Alaska? 

Thank you so much,

Denise

@CruiseCattVery good question.  Consider this, the Encore has hottubs in the Vibe.  The view is lovely.  There is a bar in the Vibe.  With all that said, the best view in my opinion on a Alaska cruise is the Observation deck which is climate controlled.  You have a Bar and a Starbucks.  Since it is the Encore they have the Thermal Spa which cost as much as the Vibe.  I would opt for the Thermal Spa instead of the Vibe.  Just my two cents which is what I think you were asking for.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@CruiseCattVery good question.  Consider this, the Encore has hottubs in the Vibe.  The view is lovely.  There is a bar in the Vibe.  With all that said, the best view in my opinion on a Alaska cruise is the Observation deck which is climate controlled.  You have a Bar and a Starbucks.  Since it is the Encore they have the Thermal Spa which cost as much as the Vibe.  I would opt for the Thermal Spa instead of the Vibe.  Just my two cents which is what I think you were asking for.

I think this is good advice, thank you. I am going to go for the Thermal Spa!  Much appreciated, and we will definitely be enjoying the observation deck.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

My posts are all about strategy.  Realistic expectation.  Making your cruise experience the best it can be.  The game has changed on the Vibe Beach Club.  What if none of us knew the game changed.  What if we did what we always did.  Got on the ship super-fast, even paid extra to get on faster just to run to the Vibe Beach Club Desk.  We were there first but they were sold out.  How would we feel then.  

At least new we know, when you book your cruise, book your Vibe.  Simple as that.  If you can't get the Vibe, make a decision on if you want to cruise if you feel strongly that way.  Better to be informed. 

Now to clarify a couple of points.  The Cruise I am on is a special cruise.  It is for the winners of the slot tournaments from all NCL ships from 2021.  The Haven is almost sold out and that is very unusual for a cruise 150 days away.  The people going on this cruise are not new to cruising and they found out just like we did, the new game for the Vibe.  

On my Cruise which is December 4, 2022; on the Breakaway out of New Orleans; 150 days in advance the Vibe week passes are sold out.  The Cabana's in the Vibe are sold out.  That is a fact.  This does not mean your cruise is sold out.  The new game again is when you book, book your Cabana or Vibe pass.  Nothing is going to change that.  

Folks, I do not do post to create controversy or to promote fear. I do it so those that read my post can be as informed as I am, so we have the best possible cruise experience. 

Cruise well everyone and enjoy every moment. 

Gary, you’re not creating controversy or fear.  I’ve learned that some people just like to “go there”.   Overall, I’m very happy with all of the advice and communication, especially  in this particular post!   The takeaway here is this:  when you book your cruise, book Vibe.   Make it a mantra!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"Folks, I do not do post to create controversy or to promote fear. I do it so those that read my post can be as informed as I am, so we have the best possible cruise experience. "

Well put. This entire thread is a wealth of knowledge for getting the most out of a Non-Haven cruise. Case in point: 

I was able to call today and book a Vibe Cabana for our 9/27 Bermuda on Getaway. They are still available 70 days out. I decided to do this because I checked and all Haven suites were sold out. I cancelled my "poor" upgrade bids and decided on a sure thing. My cruise now going in:

• Club Balcony Suite
  • Vibe with Cabana
  • Premium Plus Beverage
  • Three Specialty Dining 

All of this is less than if I booked Haven outright (Trust me I checked), and I did so because of this thread. Most important, I would have been more than happy going with my booked room and original "Choose All's" so zero panic. 

Again thank you @Sthrngary

Edited by Dederee
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2022 at 12:50 PM, Sthrngary said:

About the Author:

Gary (sthrngary) writes exclusively about his actual cruise experience. He is known to be truly knowledgeable about the NCL Haven. His writings are never paid for by any company. It is his hobby and passion. Unlike many other op-eds on CruiseCritic.com, Gary will respond to all your questions and all he asks is a like on this main op-ed if you agree it was worthy.

Opening:

Hello everyone. After my last cruise just few months ago, I have rarely posted or commented. I wanted to give CruiseCritic.com a rest. I review all your comments every day and appreciated what I learned. As some of you noticed, I was asked to update my op-ed on the “Secrets of the NCL Haven.”  I did so at the beginning of the year 2022, based on my experience on the NCL Joy, with my family, on the November 26, 2022, sailing. Thanks for the great response to that update.

I had such a wonderful time on the NCL Joy, I decided to go on the ship again as a first time Solo Traveler. Now for a bit of transparency, my November 2021 NCL Joy cruise with my family was a new level of expensive. We were not only in the Haven, but we also had one of the two (H2) Deluxe Owners Suites. A true once in a lifetime experience. I did an immensely popular YouTube video on this unique suite. You can imagine how my mind thought about not going in the Haven for my Solo cruise, after that experience.

For my solo cruise, I booked a Club Suite which was an incredible bargain. Because of the expense of the Family Cruise as you might expect, my funds were limited. I am also retired which also limits my “Fun Funds” for vacations especially for myself only. This created the notion of a strategy called, “Haven Lite.”

Do not anyone get the wrong, I had eight upgrade bids for the Haven on that solo cruise.  As a solo cruiser, the rub is you must pay the upgrade bid twice if you win. If you bid $500.00, it cost the solo traveler $1,000.00. This limited my willingness to bid high. More importantly, the Haven Suites were sold out early. This was because NCL cancelled cruise on a large ship that hit a sand bar. All those passengers were given options with the Joy sailing date I was on as on. If those distressed guests had a Haven Suite prior, they had first rights to the Joy’s Haven inventory that was left. The result was a Haven fully booked much earlier then normal.

I knew this could happen, so I started planning my “Haven Lite” cruise. The rest of this op-ed will focus on my experience. Remember, your experience will change based on what is most important to you and your family. I guess all you long-time members of CruiseCritic.com know why I made that disclaimer, LOL.

Haven Lite Strategy:

Goal:

Have as close to a Haven Luxury Experience as possible during a cruise without having a Haven Suite.

Approach:

Utilize all the tools and amenities that NCL offers including but not limited to pre-pay for amenities. Do not forget to leverage the “Free at Sea” promotion as well as any benefits you receive from your credit card provider. 

Strategy:

Below are some the add-ons I purchase to great the Haven Lite experience. Each add-on to a cruise may have some due diligence that needs to be done along with some expense. Some examples are but not limited to the follows:

Vibe Beach Club:

You cannot prepurchase the Vibe Beach Club.  Your strategy must be to get in the Vibe Beach Club line as soon as folks are let onboard. This means you must research where the club passes are being sold and make a run for it. You also must remember each member of your party has to be on the line to get the pass. From a strategy standpoint, the Vibe has a limited set of passes for the week because the daily passes are so much more profitable for NCL.

Specialty Restaurants:

I always receive the “Free at Sea” promotion that provides me with two (2) specialty restaurants. I book my cruise with my American Express Platinum Card which provides me with “On-Board Credit” and one additional French Restaurant for two. This is a grand total of three (3) specialty restaurants. I then buy a specialty restaurant package with either two (2) or three (3) additional dinners. If I were in the Haven with a Haven Restaurant, I would not buy this additional package.  The Specialty restaurants you choose is up to you. We all have our favorites.

Premium Plus Beverage Package:

To each his own on this package however I aways purchase the “Premium Plus Beverage Package” using the upgrade option when utilizing the “Free at Sea” promotion. Since I am going Haven Lite, I have saved so much money from a Haven fare, this option is reasonable. Many would disagree with this claim but as I said, it is a personal choice. My goal here is to show the many ways I make my cruise as luxurious as possible based on my definition of luxury. The “Plus” package allows me to have very high-end spirits, wines, and French Champagne that I would never purchase at home. Don Julio 1942 tequila is one of my favorites. A bottle, if purchased at a liquor store would cost close to $200.00. The larger bottles are closer to $400.00. On a ship, a shot is $45.00 each. This is just one example of things I have tried and enjoyed while cruising Haven Lite. Now if you do not drink, then take a pass.  Remember, this is not about finding a way to justify the upgrade for the “Plus” package. Drink responsible.

Unlimited Streaming Internet:

The internet on a cruise ship is awful on its best day. I remember when you had to buy it by the minute a decade ago. It was expensive then and now. The “Free at Sea” promotion gives you 250 minutes of normal internet. The upgrade to Unlimited Streaming is about $100.00. If I were in the Haven, I am not sure I would upgrade.  Haven Lite, I do it every time.

Excursions:

Talk about personal choices. My opinion, all cruise excursions are over-priced, lack luster, and underwhelming. The exception is a few cruises in Europe. Over the years I have done most every excursion. Knowing that the value does not meet the investment, I still have some favorites. I have just resolved myself that paying a premium is just the cost of admission. My favorites include:

·        All Inclusive Over the Water Bungalow: I wish you were at this attraction for more time for the price of $550.00 for two people. The other issue is the horrible 45-minute ride to the location. Past that, this excursion gives everyone what they might want. Food, Drink, Water, and Privacy. For 6 hours you feel like you are on one of those islands that only billionaires can visit. You can also engage with the neighbors who want to be in a group in the water. That is what my wife and I did. We did tequila shots, eat steak/lobster, and floated in the water with our new friends for most of the time at the resort. With all that tequila in our systems, the right back was a gas.

·        NCL Private Island Beach Villa:  The NCL private island is lovely. It is a joint venture with the local government. It looks and feels brand new. You can reserve a Private Beach Villa with golf cart transportation, some soft drinks, butler service, air conditioning, internet and the list goes on. The cost is now $899.00 for all six guests. Not bad if you split it with a group of friends. The kicker is you must pay for both food and drinks. Add a few hundred for that. Seems like the price of a cruise for 7 hours on the beach. We always find a way to have folks join us and share the expense.

The Spa:

I love a great massage. When you are on a cruise ship, the massages are not great, they are good. The price is high because we are all captive. Not of this is an issue for me. I always book one massage for the second sea day. You must book it quick because everyone else has the same idea. To enjoy this experience even more, allow me to give you some advice. When the spa personnel attempt to upsell you, just say, “Not today!”  This is the one issue I have with the spa. Also, remember the tip was included automatically. Many people miss that little tidbit.

The Average day comparing the Haven Luxury Experience and Haven Lite:

The Morning:

·        Haven: I wake, get dressed and go to the Haven Observation lounge. I get a cup of coffee (Starbucks from a great machine), I have two Haven Almond Danish (Only available in the Haven) and look out the window at one of the best views on the ship.

·        Haven Lite: I wake, get dressed and to the Observation lounge. I get a cup of coffee made at the actual Starbucks, I have granola with milk and look out the window at one of the best views on the ship.

Breakfast:

·        Haven: I wait for my family to wake, and we go to the Haven Restaurant for breakfast. On the first few days we get a full breakfast then we sometimes simply skip breakfast in the future. The night before, I ask the server if I can have a filet with my steak and eggs. I always order French Press Coffee. The breakfast is always great.

·        Haven Lite: I wait for my family to wake, and we go to the Main Dining Room for breakfast. On the first few days we get a full breakfast then we sometimes skip the meal. Steak and eggs are usually not an option, so I substitute some other kind of meat. I order a Starbucks cappuccino. The breakfast is always great.

Mid-Morning:

·        Haven: My family and I go to the Haven Sundeck. We usually get an umbrella near one of the Hot Tubs. I let the bar server know to check on my group from time to time. Rarely a crowd and has a lovely view.

·        Haven Lite: My family and I go to the Vibe Beach Club. We usually get an umbrella near one of the Hot Tubs. The staff bring over ice water and fresh fruit. It you want an umbrella where this is none, you just ask. The bar service is in the Vibe beach Club and the bar is twice the size of the Haven Bar. Rarely a crowd and has a lovely view.

Lunch:

·        Haven: We go to the Haven Restaurant and usually sit outside. The food is always great, yet it is a long unrushed lunch. To long when things are going on that you want to attend. After a day or two, all you really want is a burger and fries. You usually can get that on in the Haven Courtyard sitting near the Haven Pool or on the Haven Sundeck. Worst case you ask your butler.

·        Haven Lite: We go to the Main Dining Room. The food is always exceptionally good, yet it is a longer lunch because it is a full-service restaurant. After a day or two, all you really want is a burger and fries. This is when the buffet becomes a great option. Like most buffet, you need to make good choices. We also consider the 24/7 restaurants which surprisingly has a nice menu and a great burger. They are also quick.

Afternoon:

·        Haven: This is where it gets complicated. The Haven is a wonderful place just to hangout, especially in the sun. Yet, the rest of the ship has fun activities going on all day. We usually leave the Haven to venture on the rest of the ship. When the crowds get to much, we simply go back to the Haven Sundeck.

·        Haven Lite: There is no difference being in the Haven or Haven Lite in the afternoon. It is important to leave the Haven especially if you like pool games, music, and water slides. When the crowds get to you, you simply go back to the Vibe Beach Club.

Pre-Dinner:

·        Haven: I go to the Haven Bar for a nice relaxing cocktail. I usually sit at the bar meeting new friends and engaging. I am waiting for my family to join me because I can not stand hearing, “My hair looks awful,” “I have gained so much weight on this cruise.,” “I am retaining water.,” “Who has my Tylenol?  I stay out of the family flame thrower by having a drink alone.

·        Haven Lite: I go to the “A” List Bar for a nice relaxing cocktail. Now cut and past the above because nothing changes except the bar location.

Dinner:

·        Haven: I absolutely love the Haven Restaurant. I am fully aware they do not change their menu’s and I am still quite satisfied.  The quality of the food, service and flexibility suits me. Please remember we have three (3) Specialty Restaurants we can choose from during the week for variety. I also have never had an issue eating in the Haven Restaurant at 07:00 PM any night I wanted to do so.

·        Haven Lite: I add two or three specialty dining packages to my account. The nights I do not do a Specialty Restaurant, I do the Main Dining Room and have enjoyed it. The food quality of the MDR is not as good as the Haven however it is so much better then attempting the same dish in my kitchen. My 07:00 PM timing has never been an issue with the MDR and I always pre-book my times/days of specialty restaurants 125 days prior to the cruise.

Entertainment:

·        Haven: It is true that the Haven Guests have a special reserved seating area for the larger venues. It is located stage left in the orchestra section. I have very rarely used these seats because when I arrive, I find a better seat on the end so my lovely bride can go to the bathroom and not bother anyone. Much has been written that the Haven team will escort you to the smaller venues like the Cavern Club or the Comedy Club through the back door prior to the doors opening. I have found this to be extremely inconsistent.

·        Haven Lite: The same comments as above. Most all the entertainment is accessible with nice seats if you just get their a few minutes early.

Getting On and Off the Ship:

·        Haven: Nothing beats the quick access to and from the ship when you are in the Haven. The port days, you use the service elevator. When it is the last day, you do the same. The priority allows for a full and none rushed breakfast. You can even take a shower the day you leave. This one amenity is the greatest loss for me when I am not in the Haven.

·        Haven Lite: It is all about the strategy you use. Let us begin. The instant I can check-in online I do so. The reason is I can choose the earliest boarding time which is usually 09:00 AM. I sit remarkably close to the entrance doorway so I can make my mad dash for the purchase of a Vibe Beach Club pass. On the excursion days, I follow the rules and go to the places where my group needs to meet. I always plan to go early. On the last day, I hide in the Observation deck with a cup of coffee. The night before I went to the Front desk to get the luggage tags that best allows me to get off the ship and make my flight. As I said, it takes some planning, but it has been seamless and quick.

Conclusion:

With some strategy and planning you can make your non-Haven cruise close to the Haven experience. Now that I have done both approaches and said that statement, here are my thoughts.

All my life I was working sixty plus hours a week.  I left home on Sunday afternoon with my family and friends enjoying my pool. I came home on late Friday night or Saturday morning to see dishes in the sink which I did immediately. None of this do I regret nor harbor resentment.

I had a stroke at age 60 and retired. Those decades of demanding work, budgeting, savings, and smart investing gives me the option of staying in the Haven or choosing not to do so. I realize I am fortunate and never forget where I came from. Growing up, we did not have enough money to even eat out at a restaurant. Some of you might remember Howard Johnson’s Restaurants. Once a week they would have an all you can eat, fried chicken dinner. Once a quarter, my mom would take us there. We can never forget where we have come from.

All that said, I believe in a concept called the price vs. value formula.

“When the Price of a Product or Service exceeds the value by one penny;  

then and only then will the guest purchase.”

I would take the Haven every time if I had unlimited funds. I do not and most of you do not either.  Now I look at the sailings, sometimes you can get a very reasonable rate in the Haven. If not, I book a Club Suite or Suite followed by an upgrade bid for a Haven Suite. As you can tell from this op-ed, I always know what the Haven rate was prior to booking a club suite. That way I can realistically bid with the highest chance of winning a Haven Suite. I am just not disappointed if my bid is not accepted.

Now, “you do you,” as my 36-year-old son tells me all the time. My wants and needs are different than yours. My budget or willingness to stretch my budget is also my own. Do your due diligence and most importantly, be happy with your final decision because of your research.

“Cruise well and enjoy every moment"

Not to put words in your mouth. From what I am reading and understanding, it sounds like your Haven Lite experience is not significantly different than your Haven experience on a day-to-day basis with a little research and work. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 2:08 PM, Sthrngary said:

I've sailed on Encore to Alaska and I agree with this statement 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrSea said:

Not to put words in your mouth. From what I am reading and understanding, it sounds like your Haven Lite experience is not significantly different than your Haven experience on a day-to-day basis with a little research and work. 

@DrSeaThe issue is finding way to enjoy your cruise.  First let me answer your question directly.  No, the Haven is without a doubt the way to go if you are on a big NCL ship. That said, when you can create an experience utilizing the Haven Lite Strategy, you can come close but close it not the Haven.  The term I used is called the "Price Value Formula".  When the value exceeds the price by one cent, the consumer should buy. 

Example of what I mean.  My wife and I are going on the Breakaway in December 2022. We are currently going Haven Lite.  Vibe Beach Club Cabana; Premium Plus Beverage Package; Upgraded unlimited internet; Four specialty restaurant meals; prepaid gratuities.  The cost is for two travelers is 40% of the Haven.  That is to much of a difference in price to consider the Haven.

Now will I bid to upgrade to the Haven, sure.  Will I get it, probably not. Will it matter, no.  Why?  Because I will have realistically set my expectations.  Prices on everything go up and down over time.  There will be a time in the future, when they Haven price will be closer and that will be my call.  

Again, if price is no object, I would do the Haven.  As a matter of fact, if price was no object, I would do a penthouse suite on the Regent Seven Seas Cruise on the Splendor.  That cost is about the same as a small SUV.  So price matters in this case.  

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@DrSeaThe issue is finding way to enjoy your cruise.  First let me answer your question directly.  No, the Haven is without a doubt the way to go if you are on a big NCL ship. That said, when you can create an experience utilizing the Haven Lite Strategy, you can come close but close it not the Haven.  The term I used is called the "Price Value Formula".  When the value exceeds the price by one cent, the consumer should buy. 

Example of what I mean.  My wife and I are going on the Breakaway in December 2022. We are currently going Haven Lite.  Vibe Beach Club Cabana; Premium Plus Beverage Package; Upgraded unlimited internet; Four specialty restaurant meals; prepaid gratuities.  The cost is for two travelers is 40% of the Haven.  That is to much of a difference in price to consider the Haven.

Now will I bid to upgrade to the Haven, sure.  Will I get it, probably not. Will it matter, no.  Why?  Because I will have realistically set my expectations.  Prices on everything go up and down over time.  There will be a time in the future, when they Haven price will be closer and that will be my call.  

Again, if price is no object, I would do the Haven.  As a matter of fact, if price was no object, I would do a penthouse suite on the Regent Seven Seas Cruise on the Splendor.  That cost is about the same as a small SUV.  So price matters in this case.  

Thank you for clarifying. From how it reads, it sounds like not a big difference to you.

Another point to clarify:

Shouldn't it be "When the VALUE of a Product or Service exceeds the PRICE by one penny;  then and only then will the guest purchase"? I don't work in business, so maybe I am reading/understanding this incorrectly.

6 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Thank you for clarifying. From how it reads, it sounds like not a big difference to you.

Another point to clarify:

Shouldn't it be "When the VALUE of a Product or Service exceeds the PRICE by one penny;  then and only then will the guest purchase"? I don't work in business, so maybe I am reading/understanding this incorrectly.

LOL, yep.  Lazy writing on my part.  I hate to use excuses but what the heck.  I was diagnosed with covid to days ago and my mind is kind of a fog.  You are absolutely correct. Thank you for the correction. 

Cruise well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kenlorz said:

@Sthrngary now that NCL is offering the Free at Sea PLUS upgrade for $50 a day pp, what are your thoughts? Seems like it makes creating the Haven Lite experience even more affordable!

1B85D034-D5F6-44D8-9692-815E6804FCD9.jpeg

This program is a good one and I had no idea it even existed until I was told by the NCL Rep.  She changed my reservation.  I don't think it really makes that much of a difference money but it is much easier to do this way.  The real difference is comparing it to Haven Proper.  

Cruise well.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sthrngary said:

LOL, yep.  Lazy writing on my part.  I hate to use excuses but what the heck.  I was diagnosed with covid to days ago and my mind is kind of a fog.  You are absolutely correct. Thank you for the correction. 

Cruise well.

I am wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery.

No explanation needed. I just wanted to make sure I didn't misunderstand you. Business is not my strong suit (as the saying goes with drs). I very much agree with your saying. My price vs value formula has a different threshold for the Haven. I am happy to sail outside of the Haven (for a much lower price). For me, the value of the Haven doesn't exceed the price unless I am hosting a little get together in my room with my other guests. Otherwise, I am very much happy even staying in an inside (my eyes are very sensitive to light, and I wake up at 5-6 am daily despite wanting to sleep in...even on my days off when I am so exhausted).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

Gary - were you able to use the plus drink package at the Vibe bar. Did they have champagne, top shelf tequila, etc.

@gmbhardyI was able to use my Premium Plus Package at the Vibe.  The Selection was not great but OK.  If there is a brand you like, ask the manager.  My favorite tequila was only at the Horizon Lounge and the "A" list bar. 

I hope that helps you. 

Cruise well.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@gmbhardyI was able to use my Premium Plus Package at the Vibe.  The Selection was not great but OK.  If there is a brand you like, ask the manager.  My favorite tequila was only at the Horizon Lounge and the "A" list bar. 

I hope that helps you. 

Cruise well.

My dh and I are calling our July 2023 cruise Haven Lite because of you LOL

This will be our first time not in the Haven in many, many years. I would LOVE the Premium Plus for champagne and wine and tequila. My dh really is a beer drinker so it doesn't make sense for us to upgrade but I really REALLY want to LOL

I have the Vibe and will ask the first day for the champagne and tequila and wine LOL Hopefully if they don't have but will get, I'll just tip generously and they will keep around all week.

We do want to upgrade for three more specialty meals (since right now we have four between Platinum and the FaS) so that is a plus.

I'm thinking this weekend to show him this new deal and see if he wants the unlimited wifi, which we really don't need since our two kids are adults and one is married with children.

We do not need shore excursion money. We just plop ourselves at a beach (we are doing Bermuda). I haven't figured out the breakdown since been busy at work this week but without the shore excursion, do we come out ahead if we did this on our own?

It will just make it more Haven like for me LOL

Edited by js
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am an avid cruiser and huge NCL fan. As a fulltime working Mom RN for 30 years we sprung for the Haven a few times in the 2 bedroom. Now the boys are in college, money is not flowing as freely but have learned also the tricks. We are Sapphire now so get the perk of early onboard and early reservations. Have specialty dining x 4 for upcoming 14 night cruise plus 2 latitudes dinners. Have NCL credit card and have a nice onboard credit. Booked private day passes to resorts on certain islands to bypass the cruisers and save some $$. Booked vibe thanks to this site.  Since it's my retirement cruise i am hoping to bid on the Haven but not for the spa room with that big ass tub taking up precious space. I can suffer with prosecco vs champagne with the regular drink package. After 3 who knows the difference 🙂

Edited by 2boyzmom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 2boyzmom said:

I am an avid cruiser and huge NCL fan. As a fulltime working Mom RN for 30 years we sprung for the Haven a few times in the 2 bedroom. Now the boys are in college, money is not flowing as freely but have learned also the tricks. We are Sapphire now so get the perk of early onboard and early reservations. Have specialty dining x 4 for upcoming 14 night cruise plus 2 latitudes dinners. Have NCL credit card and have a nice onboard credit. Booked private day passes to resorts on certain islands to bypass the cruisers and save some $$. Booked vibe thanks to this site.  Since it's my retirement cruise i am hoping to bid on the Haven but not for the spa room with that big ass tub taking up precious space. I can suffer with prosecco vs champagne with the regular drink package. After 3 who knows the difference 🙂

IMO, if there ever was a time to outright book the Haven, it would be a retirement party. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

So, how do you take your 1942?

Thank you for your question.  I needed to respond to a post with a smile on my face and talking about having a nice drink on a cruise ship does that for me.  

I drink it straight up.  However never and I mean never as a straight shot.  It is a sipping tequila.  That is only part of the story.  The part of my life I like to relive on a cruise ship is the times I have gone into a classy bar.  Sat at the bar, had a nice drink and engaged with strangers.  Whether at the "A" list Bar or the Haven Bar if I am so lucky, this is the environment I enjoy the most. 

Nine times out of ten when folks see the distinctive bottle, they ask what it is.  We talk about how I was given my first shot on a cruise on the Getaway, with the Premium Plus Beverage package in 2019. 

I nice drink is only great when you can share the experience.  That is a long answer to a very simple question.  

Cruise well and enjoy every minute.

• Like 2