The Haven Lite Strategy by Sthrngary

Sthrngary

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

A nice drink is only great when you can share the experience.  That is a long answer to a very simple question. 

I became aware of 1942 a few years ago when it was featured on Bravo's Below Deck.  Do you prefer it neat or with a cube?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Thank you for your question.  I needed to respond to a post with a smile on my face and talking about having a nice drink on a cruise ship does that for me.  

I drink it straight up.  However never and I mean never as a straight shot.  It is a sipping tequila.  That is only part of the story.  The part of my life I like to relive on a cruise ship is the times I have gone into a classy bar.  Sat at the bar, had a nice drink and engaged with strangers.  Whether at the "A" list Bar or the Haven Bar if I am so lucky, this is the environment I enjoy the most. 

Nine times out of ten when folks see the distinctive bottle, they ask what it is.  We talk about how I was given my first shot on a cruise on the Getaway, with the Premium Plus Beverage package in 2019. 

I nice drink is only great when you can share the experience.  That is a long answer to a very simple question.  

Cruise well and enjoy every minute.

What a lovely sentiment! 🍸Such a great way to appreciate the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, DrSea said:

IMO, if there ever was a time to outright book the Haven, it would be a retirement party. 

My thoughts exactly. I already sprung for a great aft balcony so let's hope for bidding to occur. Right now the Haven cabins are very pricey for this cruise coming in at around 7-8k per person but it's 14 nights...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Happycrafter123 said:

I am curious, what is the ‘A’ list bar?  I was recently in the getaway and am planning a trip on the breakaway and had trouble on my last one finding the best spot for a good quality drink.

My reference to the "A" list bar was from the NCL Joy.  It was the bar that separated Cagney's Steakhouse and the French Restaurant.  It was very classy and is called different things on different ships.  

Hope that answers your questions.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I became aware of 1942 a few years ago when it was featured on Bravo's Below Deck.  Do you prefer it neat or with a cube?

Always neat.  I have now a bottle at home and it is not every ones cup of tea. My adult children just know cheap tequila for shots.  This is sure not that.  

Thanks for asking.

Cruise well.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Amazing post! We are implementing your "Haven Lite" strategy on our upcoming cruise on Encore. We're in a Club Balcony Suite, upgraded to NCL's new Free at See Plus with Premium Plus Bev. Package, Cabana confirmed and paid for in Vibe Beach Club for the week, and going to purchase Thermal Spa passes. 

Will post as we get closer on an additional add-ons we've purchased!!

Thank you!!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gary, I have enjoyed reading all your postings.   I may have missed this in your postings, so forgive me if this has already been addressed:    On a future cruise,  I have booked a Haven spa suite-  I spring for two massages on a cruise- sometimes it is good, sometimes actually really good.  What I want to know, is this:  If I contact the concierge, prior to cruise with preferred days and times for the massages, would the concierge be able to book this for me before boarding the ship?  If not, is this something the concierge can take care of as soon as I get on the ship  (Bliss)?  I really don't want to stress out dealing with hoards of cruisers at the spa to book these, if I can avoid this.  Thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jetswdo said:

Gary, I have enjoyed reading all your postings.   I may have missed this in your postings, so forgive me if this has already been addressed:    On a future cruise,  I have booked a Haven spa suite-  I spring for two massages on a cruise- sometimes it is good, sometimes actually really good.  What I want to know, is this:  If I contact the concierge, prior to cruise with preferred days and times for the massages, would the concierge be able to book this for me before boarding the ship?  If not, is this something the concierge can take care of as soon as I get on the ship  (Bliss)?  I really don't want to stress out dealing with hoards of cruisers at the spa to book these, if I can avoid this.  Thanks.

Call the Haven Pre-Cruise desk.  I think what you will have to do is have the Haven Desk on the ship handle if for you.  Don't worry, you will be boarded first.

26 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Call the Haven Pre-Cruise desk.  I think what you will have to do is have the Haven Desk on the ship handle if for you.  Don't worry, you will be boarded first.

Spa representatives have always been in the Haven check-in day available to book appointments.  So, if the Pre-concierge can't do it for you, you should have the opportunity to do it as you're having your first drink at the Haven bar. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info.  I'll will call the Haven pre-cruise desk first, just in case, as I like to take care of as much "stuff" prior to embarkation.   It looks like it probably will need to be handled on the ship- just wanted to know what the procedure is.  

34 minutes ago, Jetswdo said:

Thanks for the info.  I'll will call the Haven pre-cruise desk first, just in case, as I like to take care of as much "stuff" prior to embarkation.   It looks like it probably will need to be handled on the ship- just wanted to know what the procedure is.  

Go to Guest Services on Deck 6.  

• 5 weeks later...

I'm doing this strategy on a cruise with a ton of other family. Not worth it to book the Haven when no one else can get in.

The thing I keep debating is Vibe. I love the Haven bar, and it's one of the things I'll miss the most.

However, the cruise is the July 4th one to Alaska on Encore. Just not sure if I'll want to be outside during that weather.

What's it like up there in an Alaska summer? Is is still worth it?

I'm not a spa person so it's vibe or no vibe for me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chillyw said:

I'm doing this strategy on a cruise with a ton of other family. Not worth it to book the Haven when no one else can get in.

The thing I keep debating is Vibe. I love the Haven bar, and it's one of the things I'll miss the most.

However, the cruise is the July 4th one to Alaska on Encore. Just not sure if I'll want to be outside during that weather.

Based on the time of year you are going, it is more than worth it.  If it is to chilly, just go in one of the hot tubes while viewing. Lots of fun.   Now for some negative comments which I rarely do.  No lounge or bar on the ship is as good as the Haven Bar.  I tried and failed.  Everyone who has read my posts and my subsequent reviews. The Vibe Bar is very nice but the offerings are limited.  Especially when you have a Premium Plus Beverage Package which I have done and until the supply chain issue is resolved, will not do in the future.

It is my conclusion that after two cruises doing Haven Lite, one as a solo and one with my wife.  I will take a break from NCL cruising for a while. The ships are short of supplies like certain spirits and wine.  The restaurant quality and service are effected by supply chain, cost reduction leading to quality issues, and a completely filled ship.  Even the Haven has had some issues with quality and over crowding especially in the Haven Bar and Sundeck.

I feel like those that stayed away from cruising are back.  Let this wave of guest go on their cruises and enjoy the postponed vacations they all missed during covid.  I personally will shift to a smaller ship, in a Premium-Plus/Luxury/Ultra Luxury Brand during this transition.  The older I get, the more I focus on personalized service, improved food quality, relaxing lounge experience and yes even the opportunity to dress up for dinner.  Tastes change over time and after being spoiled by the Haven once to many times, I would prefer a elevated experience for the few cruises I have left.

Just my two cents and I know I over answered your question.  You can ask me anything and I will be happy to comment back honestly.

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

@Sthrngary A little late to the Haven Lite game plan. I travel in just over 2 weeks. Vibe is showing as sold out online. Is there availability on embarkation day, and if so, where do I go to book this? Are thermal spa passes also available day of?

Yes on both.  I would call NCL or your travel agent to double check on the Vibe.  Also, I would purchase the Thermal Spa if that is what you would prefer.  Unless the temps are really cold, I prefer the Vibe.

My strategy get on the ship first, get to the specific location usually a place like Headliners.  Find it quick and you have to get on line for the possibility.  If Vibe is booked go to the spa for the Thermal Spa.

17 hours ago, chillyw said:

I just want to say Haven to Alaska on the Glacier Bay day is amazing. You likely can stake out a stop in the general observation area (indoors) but we loved just bundling up and having that top forward part of the deck almost empty most of the morning. Were out there from like 6:30am until 12pm (went to get lunch as the ship left the area).

It depends on everyone you are traveling with though but loved that outdoor private space for the glacier day.

Also have to say having the hot tubs on the top deck as we pulled out of Ketchikan when it was sleeting and no one else on the top deck was another amazing moment of that trip.

Sorry off topic as this is supposed to be about haven-lite.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 6:49 PM, redmomof4 said:

Thank you for putting this together! I’ve enjoyed reading through it!

@redmomof4 You are more than welcome.  I would like to change something I said in the original posting. Until we here consistent positive comments on the Premium Plus Beverage Package again, that might be an items that MAY not have the same value as it once did.  During my last cruise, it did not met up with my expectations.  I think in the future it might bounce back but time will tell.

• Like 2