Buying a carnival cruise gift card for a gift

Tntt

I would like to send my parents on a mini vacation and I'm thinking about a three night carnival cruise to the Bahamas. The problem is there schedules will not allow me to book a certain sailing date, so I thought it would he easier to just purchase a carnival gift card and they can redeem when they get ready but my question is prices change daily so what would be a good amount to put on a gift card to cover their cruise for a 3 night with preferably a balcony stateroom leaving out of Port canaveral going to the Bahamas? 

Edited by Tntt
Revision
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tntt said:

I would like to send my parents on a mini vacation and I'm thinking about a three night carnival cruise to the Bahamas. The problem is there schedules will not allow me to book a certain sailing date, so I thought it would he easier to just purchase a carnival gift card and they can redeem when they get ready but my question is prices change daily so what would be a good amount to put on a gift card to cover their cruise for a 3 night with preferably a balcony stateroom leaving out of Port canaveral going to the Bahamas? 

I don’t have that answer for you but some things to consider. You don’t load a single card with a chosen amount. You buy them valued at $100 or $500 (in my experience). If you are an AARP member you can purchase up to 5 cards (virtual) a month at a 10% discount. That can be any combination of 100 and 500 cards. They do not expire so you can use left overs later.

Remember to add in port fees, gratuities, and extras you wish to supply. The cards can be used for any purchases on the ship.

If you need to do a trial run, I am available. 😂 

• Like 2

My sons birthday is in the beginning of December and we typically cruise the week before Christmas every year, many relatives send him CCL gift cards (usually purchased at a grocery store gift card kiosk) for whatever amounts. We load them once we board the ship and he can use that amount to spend on the ship.  Since we cruise at least 2xs a year and they dont expire, he will also use them for more than trip.  

The cards that state $10 to $500 on them, you pick a dollar amount up to $500 and the cashier will enter that amount when you check out from that store.  

In the past you were able to get the AARP gift cards mailed to you so you would have a physical gift card you could gift, seems that all they offer now are the E-cards so you would not have something physical to give to your parents.   But they can load them online to their accounts to help pay for the cruise there is a separate space for gift cards on the account page where you pay your balance.  

Edited by Drazil65

I would do a mock booking for exactly what you want for the approximate week it would be. Take the more expensive option if there are a few. Round up. If there's anything left over they can apply it to their onboard account.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Drazil65 said:

In the past you were able to get the AARP gift cards mailed to you so you would have a physical gift card you could gift, seems that all they offer now are the E-cards so you would not have something physical to give to your parents.   But they can load them online to their accounts to help pay for the cruise there is a separate space for gift cards on the account page where you pay your balance.  

You need to access the card number and pin from your email. I always print that out for my information in case I lose the email. Has the nice Carnival logo on the top. Perfect gift that doesn’t take up any luggage room. 😆 

• Like 1

Prices on Carnival Liberty 3nt Port Canaveral to Bahamas through 2024 range from $189 to $506 per person for a balcony plus taxes and port fees. 

Also don't forget parking or whatever other travel expenses and gratuities if you want to cover everything.

Op you may also want to keep in mind a 3nt Bahamas cruise is pretty much a party cruise.

Edited by Ilovesailaway
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 9:05 AM, 2wheelin said:

You don’t load a single card with a chosen amount. You buy them valued at $100 or $500 (in my experience).

The physical gift cards available at a grocery store (or similar) can definitely be loaded with a specific amount.  And possibly give you extra gas points or something since many will give double points (or similar) for gift card purchases. Win win!

10 minutes ago, ultrafighter said:

The physical gift cards available at a grocery store (or similar) can definitely be loaded with a specific amount.  And possibly give you extra gas points or something since many will give double points (or similar) for gift card purchases. Win win!

Stores in our area don’t carry them or I haven’t looked for/seen them. My experience is with AARP for the 10% discount. Glad we all have options. I’ve told people about the discounted cards and have them tell me it is too much bother. Geeez

3 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Stores in our area don’t carry them or I haven’t looked for/seen them. My experience is with AARP for the 10% discount. Glad we all have options. I’ve told people about the discounted cards and have them tell me it is too much bother. Geeez

I've used both routes just within the past month.  Trying to maximize everything I can!

I live in a little hick Texas town so the Carnival gc in the grocery store was a very pleasant surprise.  I know they aren't everywhere.

3 hours ago, ultrafighter said:

I've used both routes just within the past month.  Trying to maximize everything I can!

I live in a little hick Texas town so the Carnival gc in the grocery store was a very pleasant surprise.  I know they aren't everywhere.

Why not plan the cruise first, sit down with them find out the total cost of the cruise, then buy the correct gift card amount. Summer and holidays are the most expensive, fall are less expensive. A 3 day cruise could be filled with a lot of young people partying.