Live From HAL's Zuiderdam August 3-10 Alaska Inside Passage

chefestelle

8 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Mescaline is available at the Front Desk.  Taking it after you are motion sick is futile.  I always have a bag of ginger drops just in case. 

😵

OH my!!!  @Crew News I do believe you meant Meclizine (motion sickness med)!! i

Mescaline is a mild hallucinogenic drug!!!  From Wikipedia:

"Mescaline or mescalin (3,4,5-trimethoxyphenethylamine) is a naturally occurring psychedelic protoalkaloid of the substituted phenethylamine class, known for its hallucinogenic effects comparable to those of LSD and psilocybin. It occurs naturally in the San Pedro cactus (Echinopsis

..."

Once again, those spell check gremlins!!

~Nancy

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

😵

"Mescaline or mescalin (3,4,5-trimethoxyphenethylamine) is a naturally occurring psychedelic protoalkaloid of the substituted phenethylamine class, known for its hallucinogenic effects comparable to those of LSD and psilocybin. It occurs naturally in the San Pedro cactus (Echinopsis

..."

~Nancy

Darn.  Guess I’m back to nature hikes searching for mushrooms.  I mean wildlife.  🙃

6 hours ago, Crew News said:

Mescaline is available at the Front Desk.  Taking it after you are motion sick is futile.  I always have a bag of ginger drops just in case. 

I have been on many Alaska cruises and always wear my sea bands the first evening until bedtime.  By the morning, my body has adjusted to the sea and i don't need them for the rest of the cruise.

The pea soup is served around 9:30 AM at several locations onboard.  My visit the aft Lido deck for my pea soup and take it back to my aft balcony for consumption.

Tip:  Avoid the allegedly "seared" scallops in the Pinnacle Grill.  Fillets were excellent as was the beet side dish.

I have posted the daily activities, MDR menus, and the Late Buffet menus for Zuiderdam Alaska in 2022 at the right link in my signature below.

I followed your live report ravenously (hence my legendary comment about the pea soup)! I especially noted the seared scallops in Pinnacle because I'm taking my sister there for her birthday dinner. We will avoid them. I love beets, though. Definitely getting them. Thanks again for all the work you did posting current information on your site!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

😵

..."

~Nancy

I did not even pick that up! Hahahahah! could you imagine?

8 hours ago, oakridger said:

😵

..."

~Nancy

Curses to spell checkers on late night posts.

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2022 at 11:30 AM, *Miss G* said:

You mean, like, “I hope this cruise doesn’t impact the ecosystem of this untouched place”?

We were on Volendam in Antarctica in early 2020.  One of the naturalists aboard (an Australian named Craig Franklin - who worked with Steve Irwin) did a whole talk about this subject. He has been spending Antarctic summers on board cruise ships (mostly HAL) for many years.

He's passionate about the ecosystem and its preservation.  Passionate.

So, how does he reconcile the two things?

1. He believes that HAL does everything they possibly can to minimize their impact.  In particular, he believes that bringing more than 1000 people on one ship to actually the Antarctic up close and personal is a very, very good thing.  Doing it in large groups means fewer ships.

2. He also believes that the more of us who actually visit the Antarctic, the better, because we all come home more aware, and yes, sharing some of his passion for the place.  He considers it a win-win situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/20/2022 at 9:25 AM, LJProk said:

We were on Noordam and did Whittier to Vancouver, amazing trip and would recommend to anyone! when you sail past the glaciers on Noordam they opened a forward deck on 4 that is normally closed. They had a bar set up outside but more people were eating the pea soup they were serving than ordered drinks. It was rainy and 48 that day! Skagway we did the white trail pass which fun, and the summer sled dog excursion which was a favorite for us. Juneau was whale watching and mendenhall glacier. And Ketichikan we did the misty fjords boat trip (do not recommend). Have fun, wish I could go back and we've only been home a week!

Can you give details on the misty fjords boat trip. Was this the kayak trip thru the ship? We are booked next week.  

• Like 1