Lisbon independently

Oceania Sirena docked a short walk from the city center. Lisbon is hilly but we walked through much of it without a problem. However, we decided to take a tuk tuk tour to see the more distant Belem area of town, including the Jeronimos Monastery. We arranged the tour at the port and paid $150 for 4 people for a 2 hour tour. The tour was good but I wonder if we could have negotiated and paid less. There were tuk tuk vehicles all over the city.

It is easy to explore Lisbon on your own.

Yet, depending on where your ship docks and what you want to see you might need sometimes public transportation or a taxi as Lisbon is too big a city to walk everywhere. Nevertheless that is very easy to do.

Lisbon is super easy to DIY but you would need to take a public bus or tram out to Belem and back(flat but too far to walk) and to get up to the castle, otherwise you would have an extremely difficul tand exhausting climb up.  The city is built on  hills so well worth your time looking at online info about public transport which is quite easy to use. There are also some free elevators, info on these also online.

And Tripadvisor and the Official LIsbon Tourist Info website for ideas and suggestions.

Pre-Covid it was possible to go on to the official website of the Port of Lisbon and find your berth (there are several) which should help with your starting point and planning. Worth a try.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, cweather said:

Can someone tell me if there is a Hop On Hop Off stop close to cruise terminal. Thank you. 

Actually there are various places where ships dock, thus there is no simple detailed answer.

Nevertheless, there should be a stop not to far away as the bus follows partly the river.

On 6/20/2022 at 5:22 PM, cweather said:

Can someone tell me if there is a Hop On Hop Off stop close to cruise terminal. Thank you. 

Yes both lines have stops close to the cruise terminal - near Praca do Comercio (Commerce Square).

One can certainly pay the big bucks for HoHos and spend much of your day waiting for the next HoHo.  But in Lisbon one can also buy a day tram/bus pass and use the #28 Tram Line to get around most of the parts of the city that are frequented by tourists.   If you also want to head out to the Belam area it is just a matter of transferring to the #15 Tram.  Very little waiting time and low cost,  I think it is about 6.50 Euros for 24 hour access.   Like most cities, the best way to truly see and experience the place is on foot with limited use of transportation.  

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We used an app called GPSMyCity which had several walking tours of Lisbon. We did the Alfama Walk.  I paid for the expanded app which allowed us to use the tracking while we followed the route.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Love that GPS my city app; also love downloading maps from maps.me while at home.  Once in a city, you don't need wifi on your phone (just gps) to access maps, and find out where you are. Loved Lisbon.  Used bus and tram.  Took one of the funiculars...forget what they were called....fun!  Tram through Alfama was worthwhile.  Went to Lisbon a day early and did a 3 hour (or so) tour in a sidecar motorcycle with Daniel - Bike My Side. Wasn't terribly expensive, at least not at the time (maybe 10 years ago).

• Like 1