Fall New England/Canada itineraries - New to Oceania

Islander500

Hi all, 

We've decided to cancel a cruise in Europe and replace it with one to NE/Canada this fall.  After looking at the options, focusing on dates alone, I noted that the itineraries are slightly different & we don't have much time to analyze the differences before our deadline to make the change. 

So I'm hoping some experienced Oceania cruisers will help us!  :

Looking at the NYC-Montreal or Montreal-NYC routes between mid-Sept and the end of October, 2022. 

Most stops are the same but some itineraries stop in Boston and Bar Harbor, while others stop in Portland, Shelburne, and Corner Brook. 

There's another one that visits Bermuda skipping New England, and another that starts in Montreal-Miami.           

Looking for any advice, whether it be the time to book or the specific itinerary, from those who have sailed these. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you so much! 

Edited by Islander500

Where do you want to sail to?

What ports are of interest to you ?

Any of them are good  if the weather is good

The Montreal to Miami may be  cold  in the Northern ports in November

We have done the NYC to Montreal in the Spring and came home from Reykjavik to Canada and visited Bar Harbor and Boston in September 2019. Friends still rave about the trip to Montreal, sailing past the Statue of Liberty in the early evening was really cool. IMHO I would go for the NYC to Montreal in September  just to try to stay ahead of the Fall weather or storms on the Eastern seaboard. The later you travel the cooler and more unpredictable it will get. 
We are doing a Great Lakes trip at the beginning of October and I expect it to be cooler and hopefully minimal rain but who knows 🙏🤞

Mauibabes

We are on the NYC to Montreal April 10th cruise on Insignia.

We booked because the itinerary looked varied & interesting, with some overnights which we enjoy.

After booking, I saw that this is supposed to be a Jacques Pepin hosted cruise, with signature menus & culinary demonstrations. That will be a bonus if it goes through as planned.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/specialty-cruises

And, like mauibabes said, the sail out past the Statue of Liberty is a magical experience that never gets old.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Islander500 said:

Hi all, 

We've decided to cancel a cruise in Europe and replace it with one to NE/Canada this fall.  After looking at the options, focusing on dates alone, I noted that the itineraries are slightly different & we don't have much time to analyze the differences before our deadline to make the change. 

So I'm hoping some experienced Oceania cruisers will help us!  :

Looking at the NYC-Montreal or Montreal-NYC routes between mid-Sept and the end of October, 2022. 

Most stops are the same but some itineraries stop in Boston and Bar Harbor, while others stop in Portland, Shelburne, and Corner Brook. 

There's another one that visits Bermuda skipping New England, and another that starts in Montreal-Miami.           

Looking for any advice, whether it be the time to book or the specific itinerary, from those who have sailed these. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you so much! 

Having visited the region several times, I will say Id take a cruise that hits Portland and Bahamas.  Bar harbor is way too touristy  and difficult to get around     That said the region is far better to see via land as cruise ships have to  keep well off shore due to the rugged shore and reefs.   Too prices for the fall color  end of sept to  October  are way more $$$$$    And it does get darn cold and rainy end of sept too..  ( remember its frost... freezing temp that make  the fall colors)     Portland is outstanding for seafood and  lobster   better than Bar Harbor...    Newport better than Boston....   Thats my take..  others can disagree.    Best Lobster and prices at Portlands Port Hole.... 2 lobsters corn  taters and  roll...$25! 

france maine, ak 2017 683.JPG

• Like 1

I found the Montreal to Boston Fall foliage cruise a bit boring. Ports are nowhere like European ports with exception of Quebec City. Has not everyone been to Boston by now in their lives? Waters not always predicable as we enter the fall hurricane season. Not much foliage to see from out at sea and only good when entering and in ports, if before Columbus Day.

1 hour ago, brittany12 said:

I found the Montreal to Boston Fall foliage cruise a bit boring. Ports are nowhere like European ports with exception of Quebec City. Has not everyone been to Boston by now in their lives? Waters not always predicable as we enter the fall hurricane season. Not much foliage to see from out at sea and only good when entering and in ports, if before Columbus Day.

Ya columbus day....most of the lobster places close down....    Its an area best seen by car....  Bar Harbor is a coney island tourist trap  except for the Natl Park.  I agree high prices high expectations low experience.

there is a cruise for everyone and i have done this and am doing again in 2023.  Some people cannot

fly long distances any longer and this itin is perfect.  I do think the earlier you can go the better, weather

wise, not all about fall foliage.  there is enough to see in many of the ports and the insignia sept 2023

is a good example.  if you want europe, go to europe.....boston and newport so totally different and offer different things to see.

arl_nocaps

• Like 2