What to do right off the ship?

kelkel2

San Juan is a very pretty city. The architecture is beautiful. If you are big walkers then I would just walk off the ship & explore the city.  To the right is a "Town square", when we were there (on a Sunday) there were lot's of local vendors to browse.  To the left is the city wall, really very nice. Good place to explore lots of shops & sights. You will be on the top of the wall & you can walk down to waterside from there. It was a city that I would like to re-visit some day.

19 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

We’re not big excursion people. We really prefer to do our own thing. Is there any shopping or anything to walk around and do safely right off the ship? 

What type of shopping?  Ideas…..  San Juan is safe
Plenty of variety of small shops in the Old Town, just stroll around.

There are designer outlet stores dotted about and a large three floor Marshall’s (probably meet your wait staff there)

If one just wishes to meander, off ship (Old Town), turn left, past large CVS (sells beer, wine and spirits), next turning right and the Old Town is laid out before one, then start the walk.  

3 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

What type of shopping?  Ideas…..  San Juan is safe
Plenty of variety of small shops in the Old Town, just stroll around.

There are designer outlet stores dotted about and a large three floor Marshall’s (probably meet your wait staff there)

If one just wishes to meander, off ship (Old Town), turn left, past large CVS (sells beer, wine and spirits), next turning right and the Old Town is laid out before one, then start the walk.  

We just like to browse. I’d love to browse a market for souvenirs if that’s something they have. But we’ll also have our kids with us for the first time this cruise, they’ll be 4y on this sailing. So nothing super strenuous. We have an excursion booked here, and we may or may not keep it. 

Just off the cruise ship there's a small strip of town dead ahead (a long east-west point), some good souvenir shopping mixed in there. We've walked from one end of that point to the other. Found some nice cafes hidden in some of the streets we walked, like one where we got some great Greek baklava ice cream. On one end of that point are a couple of nice "castillos" (forts) that are nice to see, right on the shoreline, plus some pleasant scenery along the Paseo de los presidentes, the Capitol area, etc. It's pretty along there.

But just to the left off the ship, usually there are (or used to be) some smallish tour buses and taxis so you can go south into the main part of the city. Last time we were there we got a 2-hour bus tour (with a couple of stops) for $10-15, can't remember exactly how much. But I think there used to be "city" buses that you could hop on and hop off.

Expect it to be hot, especially on narrow streets where some of the best shopping might be. As others have implied, San Juan is really one of the best walking ports we've been to. And yes, safe and clean.

Edit to add: I might've skewed the directions a little bit. But if you have any kind of a map it isn't too hard to figure out San Juan proper.

Edited by Moonarino
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 2:57 PM, Moonarino said:

Just off the cruise ship there's a small strip of town dead ahead (a long east-west point), some good souvenir shopping mixed in there. We've walked from one end of that point to the other. Found some nice cafes hidden in some of the streets we walked, like one where we got some great Greek baklava ice cream. On one end of that point are a couple of nice "castillos" (forts) that are nice to see, right on the shoreline, plus some pleasant scenery along the Paseo de los presidentes, the Capitol area, etc. It's pretty along there.

But just to the left off the ship, usually there are (or used to be) some smallish tour buses and taxis so you can go south into the main part of the city. Last time we were there we got a 2-hour bus tour (with a couple of stops) for $10-15, can't remember exactly how much. But I think there used to be "city" buses that you could hop on and hop off.

Expect it to be hot, especially on narrow streets where some of the best shopping might be. As others have implied, San Juan is really one of the best walking ports we've been to. And yes, safe and clean.

Edit to add: I might've skewed the directions a little bit. But if you have any kind of a map it isn't too hard to figure out San Juan proper.

I’ve never been to San Juan, but we have been to St. Augustine in Florida where there’s an old city and a fort. Am I right in assuming San Juan is similar? If we just get off the ship and walk to the old city are there shops and things worth going to? 
I’m just really torn on what to do here. There’s a few excursions that seem ok, but we hate tours where we’re forced to spend x amount of time in a certain place before moving on.  
Would we need to get a taxi to the old part of the city coming off the ship? 

40 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

I’ve never been to San Juan, but we have been to St. Augustine in Florida where there’s an old city and a fort. Am I right in assuming San Juan is similar? If we just get off the ship and walk to the old city are there shops and things worth going to? 
I’m just really torn on what to do here. There’s a few excursions that seem ok, but we hate tours where we’re forced to spend x amount of time in a certain place before moving on.  

Just walk north after arriving at the OT and meander east/west as one fancies.  Almost impossible to get lost

Fort (shown in mo) is about a 15 walk west.

51CDC4F5-1C70-4BB7-A4BA-03EA0E51ECE9.jpeg

Edited by PORT ROYAL
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

Not sure how you can get around, but be warned there are numerous ups and downs in San Juan. One of the forts (I think the one PORT ROYAL points out) is at the top of a long upward grade. I was 60-something when we made that walk and managed ok, but I used to play basketball etc. Just keep this in mind for yourself and whoever else might be walking with you. It's flat near the cruise port, but don't let that fool you.

Edit to add: Would be great if they bring the trolleys back by the time you cruise. We did use that at least once in the 3-4 times we've visited.

Edited by Moonarino
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

Not sure how you can get around, but be warned there are numerous ups and downs in San Juan. One of the forts (I think the one PORT ROYAL points out) is at the top of a long upward grade. I was 60-something when we made that walk and managed ok, but I used to play basketball etc. Just keep this in mind for yourself and whoever else might be walking with you. It's flat near the cruise port, but don't let that fool you.

Edit to add: Would be great if they bring the trolleys back by the time you cruise. We did use that at least once in the 3-4 times we've visited.

I would love them to bring the trolley’s back! 

• Like 1

It is definitely an uphill walk to the forts.  Perhaps take a taxi there and work your way downhill.  

People fly kites at the fort.  Wide expanse of open grass - not even necessary to pay to be on the fort campus.  Could a 4 yo control a small kite, with assistance?  At least could get some unrestrained running around on grass.

Streets and sidewalks are narrow and sometimes uneven.

DE5801A2-525A-4B7B-B2FA-89A33BBBFDC2.thumb.jpeg.d4eb37c9f5d8eb2b526f17e4272285ea.jpeg

Your kids (and you) may enjoy seeing a town of cats.  There’s an organization that feeds them.  I saw a lot of them as I walked up the street on the farthest left (west) side of Old San Juan.  (Dec 2021 - and it was hot).

35D01DC9-F135-4E34-B622-29FF5D6F2A3F.thumb.jpeg.5e637b01ddbd31815d11e70e18079aff.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am on a cruise Christmas week and it looks like our stop in San Juan is Sunday, Christmas Day arriving at 4pm-11pm.  Will anything be open or will the entire city be closed on Sunday evening/Christmas?

36 minutes ago, Snate said:

I am on a cruise Christmas week and it looks like our stop in San Juan is Sunday, Christmas Day arriving at 4pm-11pm.  Will anything be open or will the entire city be closed on Sunday evening/Christmas?

The tourist board will give definite information

Phone: 1-787-710-8280

Written Question: https://cupeles.com/contact/

On 8/29/2022 at 7:08 AM, Snate said:

I would have to say it's doubtful much will be open...perhaps a few restaurants.