Bourbon

hornscruiser

Basil, Woodford, Makers, Four Roses, Elijah Craig, and Bulleit are all onboard.  Of course, any particular ship may have a temporary shortage depending on both supply provisioning and "excessive" demand.

Bulleit Rye and Rittenhouse Rye are also available.

• Like 2

When on Ovation in May/early June they had limited availability of some Bourbon as many passengers apparently requested them in their room and those requests are filled prior to stocking the bars (per Seabourn staff).  For example, I believe the Old Fashioned in TK Grill bar called for Woodford Reserve but they were out of it, so they substituted Jack Daniels 🤮 (also out of other more preferred brands such as Makers or Four Roses).  The bartender told me the reason was so many passengers had requested this to be stocked in their suites!  I didn't fully believe this, but sure enough I spoke with some friends I met on the ship and they informed me they had a full, unopened bottle of Woodford in their suite that they planned to take home! 

I also found the same with tequila and it being of limited availability.  The pool and sky bar would run out of our preferred brand and they only had Jose Cuervo or something that you can't really mix into a margarita, like Patron Citron.  Then also confirmed with a "diamond" on the ship that they had multiple bottles of good tequila in their room.

I really don't understand the alcohol in the suite thing - sure, it may be some peoples cup of tea, but I would much prefer for someone at the bar to craft my cocktail.  So overall, the alcohol situation was mildly disappointing and even more so that people's individual requests got honored over keeping the bars well stocked.  I'm sure this is a difficult balance for Seabourn as many passengers can be demanding at times (including myself), but Seabourn may need to revisit this policy until the supply chain becomes a non-issue.

Edited by ciaoYacht

27 minutes ago, ciaoYacht said:

I really don't understand the alcohol in the suite thing - sure, it may be some peoples cup of tea, but I would much prefer for someone at the bar to craft my cocktail.  So overall, the alcohol situation was mildly disappointing and even more so that people's individual requests got honored over keeping the bars well stocked.  I'm sure this is a difficult balance for Seabourn as many passengers can be demanding at times (including myself), but Seabourn may need to revisit this policy until the supply chain becomes a non-issue.

I think you are making a very good point.  While we have always had requested bottles of liquor in our suite, we could count on one hand the number of drinks we have mixed with them.  Usually, at the end of our cruise, the bottles are unopened--and I hope returned to the stock of the ship.  I agree with you that the bars of the ship should be stocked before the individual suites. And who carries the suite bottles home? And WHY would do do that?  I think all of us have well stocked liquor cabinets at home and don't need to carry these bottles in our suitcases.  

At the same time, I know people we have met on SB who have told us that have ordered second bottles of their preferred liquors for their suites.  I have to admit that I was surprised.  We have consumed our fair share of cocktails onboard SB ships, but almost always at the bars onboard.  I do realize that not everyone enjoys a cruise in the same way, so I am prepared to read other takes on this issue.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SLSD said:

And who carries the suite bottles home? And WHY would do do that?

Yes I was a little shocked, but not completely surprised, with this type of behavior on a luxury cruise.  Also heard of people trying to "pick the lock" to get more Molton Brown amenities.

I am on vacation I want to enjoy myself and have someone prepare nice cocktails for me.  I don't want to worry about recouping value by taking a bottle of Bourbon home with me, or toiletries for that matter.  We can all afford to purchase those on our own if we can afford to sail on Seabourn!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ciaoYacht said:

Yes I was a little shocked, but not completely surprised, with this type of behavior on a luxury cruise.  Also heard of people trying to "pick the lock" to get more Molton Brown amenities.

I am on vacation I want to enjoy myself and have someone prepare nice cocktails for me.  I don't want to worry about recouping value by taking a bottle of Bourbon home with me, or toiletries for that matter.  We can all afford to purchase those on our own if we can afford to sail on Seabourn!

3 hours ago, ciaoYacht said:

When on Ovation in May/early June they had limited availability of some Bourbon as many passengers apparently requested them in their room and those requests are filled prior to stocking the bars (per Seabourn staff).  For example, I believe the Old Fashioned in TK Grill bar called for Woodford Reserve but they were out of it, so they substituted Jack Daniels 🤮 (also out of other more preferred brands such as Makers or Four Roses).  The bartender told me the reason was so many passengers had requested this to be stocked in their suites!  I didn't fully believe this, but sure enough I spoke with some friends I met on the ship and they informed me they had a full, unopened bottle of Woodford in their suite that they planned to take home! 

I also found the same with tequila and it being of limited availability.  The pool and sky bar would run out of our preferred brand and they only had Jose Cuervo or something that you can't really mix into a margarita, like Patron Citron.  Then also confirmed with a "diamond" on the ship that they had multiple bottles of good tequila in their room.

You "really don't understand the alcohol in the suite thing", but there is a little thing called Covid going around, which can either make you sick or get you quarantined.  Some people worry that sitting and drinking at a crowded bar with strangers boistrously talking and laughing is more likely to get them exposed to Covid than drinking their liquor in their suites with their spouses.

Plus, some people drink their drinks in their underwear. 🙂

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

You "really don't understand the alcohol in the suite thing", but there is a little thing called Covid going around, which can either make you sick or get you quarantined.  Some people worry that sitting and drinking at a crowded bar with strangers boistrously talking and laughing is more likely to get them exposed to Covid than drinking their liquor in their suites with their spouses.

Plus, some people drink their drinks in their underwear. 🙂

I see a bit of humor in your post.  I had not realized that people go on Seabourn cruises to sit in their suites and drink alcohol in their underwear.  That is quite a picture to contemplate.  And yes, there is Covid--which is why some regular cruises have held off going on cruises.  They, after all, can drink alcohol in their own homes in relative safety.  As I mentioned in a post above, I do realize that not everyone approaches cruising in the same way. 

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Catlover54 said:

Plus, some people drink their drinks in their underwear.

Being that the cruise I was on had 255 passengers, social distancing, even at the bar, was a non-issue.  And I'm not judging if you like to throw a few down in your undies or even need an eye-opener with your room service, its just not my cup of tea... and I'd much rather have the booze equitably shared so all can enjoy, instead of just those who choose to stay in and chug away in their rooms.

I say good booze for all on Seabourn!

1 hour ago, Catlover54 said:

there is a little thing called Covid going around, which can either make you sick or get you quarantined.

At this point, we should be more afraid of Norovirus from sailing on ships.  We have vaccines.  We have testing.  And people who are getting sick from "a little thing called Covid" are largely asymptomatic or getting flu-like symptoms at worst.  Of course there are exceptions, but those who are still this "scared" maybe should rethink traveling in congregate residential settings, such as on a cruise.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Old Thread, but worth reviewing in 2024. Does anyone know what the current "in-stock" bourbons are on-board? I'm a bourbon newbie, but I have very good friends who are much more into the brands (current reasonable favorite is Woodford Reserve Double-Oaked)

Best, jdk

40 minutes ago, Katsings01 said:

Just off Ovation. They had Elija Craig, Woodford Reserve, and Bulleit from what I recall. 

Thanks for,the update…I’m a big bulleit fan.  I also enjoy basil hayden

Nancy

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you go on the Source App, and then select [View More] on Gourmet Dining, and then select The Club, you can get a current bar list for the ship today... although it could change of course when your particular cruise started and the particular ship (this is for Pursuit, although I assume it's identical to Venture).  I just downloaded the list, which for Bourbon had:

Basil Hayden, Bulleit and Woodford Reserve  and Blanton's for an additional $20

File attached

club_menu_update_lastlastlast.pdf

Edited by seabourn_noob
add ship
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2024 at 3:35 PM, seabourn_noob said:

If you go on the Source App, and then select [View More] on Gourmet Dining, and then select The Club, you can get a current bar list for the ship today... although it could change of course when your particular cruise started and the particular ship (this is for Pursuit, although I assume it's identical to Venture).  I just downloaded the list, which for Bourbon had:

Basil Hayden, Bulleit and Woodford Reserve  and Blanton's for an additional $20

File attached

club_menu_update_lastlastlast.pdf 252.82 kB · 28 downloads

This is great - thank you. I am presuming that the same basics will be on SB Venture next month.

Best, jdk