Riviera deck Sky Princess

Nicole&Pete

All,

We are on the Sky this weekend and someone has messaged us this week from the regal princess saying they have been upgraded to a room under an overhang section on the ship. We have booked midship deck 14 (riviera) and I can see that is technically under an overhang as well but not the first deck under it. I never even saw that there was an overhang section to the ship before they said.

I really should have looked at a picture of the ship before choosing a room!

Has anyone been midship on deck 14 and found that their balcony was constantly in shade due to the overhang?

Thank you

Assuming you are in one of the mini suites R414 to R423 with the extended balconies. Two decks above is the seawalk which curves out over the water. Sun or shade will depend mainly on the direction of the ship and not on the overhang. 

14 hours ago, skynight said:

Assuming you are in one of the mini suites R414 to R423 with the extended balconies. Two decks above is the seawalk which curves out over the water. Sun or shade will depend mainly on the direction of the ship and not on the overhang. 

We’re actually in one of the rooms forward of the rooms under the sea walk and I think there is an overhang from deck 16?

thanks

2 hours ago, Nicole&Pete said:

We’re actually in one of the rooms forward of the rooms under the sea walk and I think there is an overhang from deck 16?

thanks

In that case the balcony from deck 15 cabins will be the same size as your balcony. The larger overhang from the Lido deck, two decks above will extend a little further out maybe an extra 4 or so feet. The answer will be the same. Sun or shade will be dependent mainly on the direction of the ship and not on the overhang. Examples, if your cabin is on the port side and the ship is heading north then your cabin will have afternoon sun, morning shade. If the ship is heading east you will be in the shade all day as the sun will be to the south of the ship with the reverse true if heading west. 

15 hours ago, skynight said:

In that case the balcony from deck 15 cabins will be the same size as your balcony. The larger overhang from the Lido deck, two decks above will extend a little further out maybe an extra 4 or so feet. The answer will be the same. Sun or shade will be dependent mainly on the direction of the ship and not on the overhang. Examples, if your cabin is on the port side and the ship is heading north then your cabin will have afternoon sun, morning shade. If the ship is heading east you will be in the shade all day as the sun will be to the south of the ship with the reverse true if heading west. 

Ok great so the overhang from the lido deck should only affect the deck directly below and probably not our deck!

The balconies really do look quite small on the Sky.

1 hour ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Ok great so the overhang from the lido deck should only affect the deck directly below and probably not our deck!

The balconies really do look quite small on the Sky.

They are small, 9ft x 4ft deep. You have to sit on angles.

39 minutes ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Thanks, we were looking at the middle section with the angled balconies but I didn’t fancy sitting under the sea walk.

The sea walk was redesigned on the sky so looking down onto the angled balconies is not easy. Also may I add hardly anyone walks across the skywalk a complete waste of time in my opinion. As has been said balconies on the sky are mostly pathetically small so the angled balconies offer a nice bit of extra space. 

15 hours ago, southamptoncruisers said:

The sea walk was redesigned on the sky so looking down onto the angled balconies is not easy. Also may I add hardly anyone walks across the skywalk a complete waste of time in my opinion. As has been said balconies on the sky are mostly pathetically small so the angled balconies offer a nice bit of extra space. 

Ah ok, it’s probably too late to change room now as we sail Saturday, and those balconies are probably taken anyway.