September Alaska Cruise

cruiseforus

Is it a mistake to go in September. We are looking at a cruise this Sept 9th. Will it be really cold and rainy? We are 2 couples in our 70’s. I know the weather if iffy any month but is it a guarantee that September will be really cold? 

2 minutes ago, cruiseforus said:

Is it a mistake to go in September. We are looking at a cruise this Sept 9th. Will it be really cold and rainy? We are 2 couples in our 70’s. I know the weather if iffy any month but is it a guarantee that September will be really cold? 

We have been on 4 or 5 Sept cruises to Alaska.  Weather can change quickly and varies, but generally we have had some very good weather.  Never REAL cold as I recall, unless we were at one of the glaciers.

I have been on two Alaska cruises in late August/early September. One trip had beautiful skies all week. The other trip had a fair amount of rain. The temperature wasn’t cold except sailing past the Hubbard glacier. An optional river raft excursion was cool and wet, not the best combination. 

I also suppose experiences may vary by the definition of “really cold.”

A number of years ago we did a mid-September Alaska cruise followed by a Pacific Coastal for a B2B.  Due to high winds we missed Ketchikan which had no cruise ships that day.

Last September we did a B2B pair of Alaska cruises after the passage of the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act.  On the second leg of that B2B the ship left a port early due to a pending storm, but the following cruise they had beautiful weather the entire time.

One never knows-climate is what we can predict, but weather is what we get!  My last cruise to Alaska was 8 years ago, just after Labor Day. I remember it rained in Juneau and Skagway, but was sunny in Ketchikan-go figure, as it is the rainiest place in S.E. Alaska!   Even living in AZ., , I did not find it cold. I would do this cruise again, even if it would be the same weather pattern. Who knows, the whole cruise could be filled with sunny days.

7 hours ago, cruiseforus said:

When working on the cruise ships, I did a couple of consecutive Alaska seasons.

In September, we could have brilliant sunshine one week and then a 70 kt storm and heavy rain the next.

"Really Cold" is very subjective, depending on where you are from. Living on the West Coast , I find 0C/32F is really cold, but it never got anywhere close to that in Alaska in September.

7 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Really Cold" is very subjective, depending on where you are from. Living on the West Coast , I find 0C/32F is really cold, but it never got anywhere close to that in Alaska in September.

And after several years of  a misspent youth in the Arabian gulf / Red Sea / Aden area I used to shiver when it dropped into the 70's 😁

• Haha 1