I'll fix it in post....

pierces

I really dislike that phrase. It has been overused to death as a supposed reason to never shoot anything but RAW. 

While I'm against shooting sloppy and spending a lot of time fiddling with the images afterwards, sometimes it can be very useful or even fun. On our recent cruise, I racked up well over 1,000 shots with most of them requiring little, if any, correction. The ones that needed correcting were mostly handled in Lightroom but a few really called out to me for more attention.

In the ruins of a gold processing plan on Aruba, the shot I took on the inside had a tourist infestation that I didn't have time to outwait. Upon review, I decided to see how well Photoshop's improved content-aware replacement worked. 

(Forgive the low-res examples )

1304999677_Aruba2022-083.thumb.jpg.6e3ca5cb7f6cd884e6ccb5efb89cd330.jpg

I used the Polygonal Lasso tool to outline the individual elements to be removed and triggered the replacement.

image.png.8eecce6173a476fb91bbb38d87c4abed.png

I had to do a little touch-up with the Clone Stamp, but in general, the program did a surprisingly good job of shooing away the crowd.

2012888402_Aruba2022-084.thumb.jpg.fb9897f1b76a91efa578aa93ea75a6bd.jpg

It also works pretty well to defuse photobombs.

1188989617_Aruba2022-147.thumb.jpg.2a8b48d7aaea1aedb59e69cda42c2009.jpg

Voila!

1231066132_Aruba2022-148.thumb.jpg.1d4765d04d886fb17bbd3d795826cf44.jpg

Irresistible additions are pretty easy as well...

1601979271_Aruba2022-149.thumb.jpg.c7927f7a292e65a07f3dd9c229044085.jpg

Postprocessing is often a necessary evil, but sometimes it can be fun.

After reviewing, correcting and categorizing a thousand images in a couple of evenings, that $10/mo. Photoshop/Lightroom subscription is looking pretty reasonable. 

Dave

• Like 4

I’m a big fan of getting it right when I press the shutter button, even if it means having to wait for things to change, people to go etc, but also am old enough to remember spending hours in the darkroom, dodging, burning, tweaking contrast and exposure. Now it’s just done by computer

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 12:08 PM, Gardyloo said:

I like to play with images sometimes.  Here's Seattle before and after the arrival of some unfriendly visitors.

P1000208Hs.jpg

P1000208Hs-indep3.jpg

Do you make movie posters? Or did you want to make movie posters?

It's fun! Makes me think of The Man Who Came to Earth (or whatever the name is of the 60s movie with the space ship that lands in D.C. and a guy who uses diamonds for currency)

I'm like GUT and actually wait around for people to get out of the way, but I do think it's kind of cool that there's a way to do it later. Either way, it takes some bit of time. How much or how little depends on the acuity of one's PS skills, time available on site, blah blah. And if you're making movie posters 😎

I might have added a larger shark fin though 😂 but then I can be a little over-dramatic. 

1 hour ago, Host Bonjour said:

Do you make movie posters? Or did you want to make movie posters?

It's fun! Makes me think of The Man Who Came to Earth (or whatever the name is of the 60s movie with the space ship that lands in D.C. and a guy who uses diamonds for currency)

I'm like GUT and actually wait around for people to get out of the way, but I do think it's kind of cool that there's a way to do it later. Either way, it takes some bit of time. How much or how little depends on the acuity of one's PS skills, time available on site, blah blah. And if you're making movie posters 😎

I might have added a larger shark fin though 😂 but then I can be a little over-dramatic. 

"The Day the Earth Stood Still"....klaatoo barada nikto

Edited by Crew News

14 hours ago, Crew News said:

"The Day the Earth Stood Still"....klaatoo barada nikto

It's amazing how that movie still holds up, even though it was made in 1951 (not the 2008 crap remake). That movie and Forbidden Planet kindled a love of science fiction that has lasted all my life. 

BTW, off-topic is always ok if it involves awesome old science fiction!

Dave

• 1 month later...