Freedom vs Sunrise

Megan_Strick

Any one done both? Or can anyone give any opinion on whether or not one is better than the other. I will be cruising solo and really don't care about ports if that matters. I'll only be doing beach days at any of the ports. I'm a no frills person and just go with the flow. Doesn't take much to make me happy.

I have been on both multiple times although my most recent cruise on Freedom was probably 6-7 years ago (i need to look at my own Sig!)

My personal view is that the $200MM retrofit of Sunrise bumps that ship significantly ahead.  She's a very nice upgraded older hull with all the bells and whistles of the newer, larger ships.  Think things like specialty restaurants, a nice Serenity, nicely updated rooms, etc.  Don't get me wrong.  Freedom is a very nice ship.  Perhaps the best of the Conquest Class boats.  But she's still a largely un-upgraded Conquest Class boat.

That said, for me travel (read that plane tix) and itinerary would both play a factor in my decision.  Enjoy whatever you choose.

I have been on both multiple times although my most recent cruise on Freedom was probably 6-7 years ago (i need to look at my own Sig!)

My personal view is that the $200MM retrofit of Sunrise bumps that ship significantly ahead.  She's a very nice upgraded older hull with all the bells and whistles of the newer, larger ships.  Think things like specialty restaurants, a nice Serenity, nicely updated rooms, etc.  Don't get me wrong.  Freedom is a very nice ship.  Perhaps the best of the Conquest Class boats.  But she's still a largely un-upgraded Conquest Class boat.

That said, for me travel (read that plane tix) and itinerary would both play a factor in my decision.  Enjoy whatever you choose.

49 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Thanks! Luckily, I am within driving distance of Charleston and would fly to Miami. Charleston is 3 hours and Miami is 6. I could drive to Miami but I'm going solo and I hate being in the car. I'm leaning toward Charleston.

11 minutes ago, sthrnbll said:

Thanks! Luckily, I am within driving distance of Charleston and would fly to Miami. Charleston is 3 hours and Miami is 6. I could drive to Miami but I'm going solo and I hate being in the car. I'm leaning toward Charleston.

Freedom is out of Port Canaveral, Sunrise is out of Miami and Sunshine out of Charleston. 

So if you do choose Charleston you’d be on Sunshine which I personally would pick above Freedom and Sunrise. 

1 hour ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Freedom is out of Port Canaveral, Sunrise is out of Miami and Sunshine out of Charleston. 

So if you do choose Charleston you’d be on Sunshine which I personally would pick above Freedom and Sunrise. 

Oh geez. I was getting the names wrong. I guess I should have clarified that this is next Sept also. So scratch Freedom. I have a few saved. So, Sunrise and Sunshine. Miami and Charleston

3 hours ago, sthrnbll said:

Ahh! So you meant SunSHINE, not SunRISE.  Been on both.  My comments still stand.  LOVE Sunshine's Serenity.  Perhaps the very best (and certainly most unique) in the entire fleet. I like both those 'Sunshined' ships for different reasons.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sthrnbll said:

Oh geez. I was getting the names wrong. I guess I should have clarified that this is next Sept also. So scratch Freedom. I have a few saved. So, Sunrise and Sunshine. Miami and Charleston

I would still go with Sunshine, and I would agree with jsglow she is certainly the most unique with the three deck serenity. I would try Sunrise again in the future though, I sailed when it first came out of the transformation and see how things settled in. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jsglow said:

Ahh! So you meant SunSHINE, not SunRISE.  Been on both.  My comments still stand.  LOVE Sunshine's Serenity.  Perhaps the very best (and certainly most unique) in the entire fleet. I like both those 'Sunshined' ships for different reasons.

Thank you! I think that is what I am going to go with

As long as you're cruising in off-peak times Sunshine is great. During peak times (basically when school is out) they might as well change the name of the ship to Sunlines. The Lido and lounges are far too small for the ship's capacity when she's full.

13 minutes ago, mz-s said:

As long as you're cruising in off-peak times Sunshine is great. During peak times (basically when school is out) they might as well change the name of the ship to Sunlines. The Lido and lounges are far too small for the ship's capacity when she's full.

I'm guessing you're right about that. Frankly, we steadfastly avoid the peak seasons for that very reason.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jsglow said:

I'm guessing you're right about that. Frankly, we steadfastly avoid the peak seasons for that very reason.

For many years I had to cruise during peak times because of the kids schedules but I don't any more thank goodness! I think I like September. Its still warm and kids are back in school

13 hours ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

I would still go with Sunshine, and I would agree with jsglow she is certainly the most unique with the three deck serenity. I would try Sunrise again in the future though, I sailed when it first came out of the transformation and see how things settled in. 

I just booked the Sunshine!!

• Like 1