question about cabin location - Viking Neptune

jaykaym

We are planning a Viking Ocean cruise to Turkey and Greece on the Viking Neptune.  We are two couples traveling, neither are very experienced with cruising and I've discovered it's an entirely new world to navigate.   We currently have cabins on deck 4 - close to water line, close to mid-ship - to minimize the rocking movement. I won't be spending much time in my cabin except to sleep but I do want to be able to sleep.   It is on the other side of the ship from the laundry room and not particularly close to the elevators.  I thought I had covered all my concerns but then it was pointed out that it was just over the dining room!  I'm not worried about evening noise because dinner will be over before I go to bed but what about noise from setting up for the morning breakfast service?  Is this going to be an issue? 

All your help is appreciated.  Get ready for lots of questions.

Dining room is on deck 1, 2 and 7….there is no dining on deck 3 or 5. Deck 4, you only have cabins between you.  

Viking rooms are extraordinarily quiet.  

Edited by Mich3554

5 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

The deck plans are virtually the same for all Viking Oceans ships.  We have spent months on deck 4 and were very happy.  But it is not "near the waterline".  

And Jim - didn't one time you have an issue on Deck 4 with lifeboat "banging" ?   I recall some others on different itineraries mentioning that, although I think when brought to attention the crew fixed those issues.

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

True but I fixed it.  😱

We are booked on Jupiter cabin 4069.  Are we going to hear the lifeboats being lowered or raised?   What about the view off the balcony, are the lifeboats going to interfere with the views?    How did you fix the banging of the lifeboat?

I might have time to change cabins if there will be a problem with any of this so anxiously awaiting your response.   thanks in advance.

Just now, Camden lady said:

We are booked on Jupiter cabin 4069.  Are we going to hear the lifeboats being lowered or raised?   What about the view off the balcony, are the lifeboats going to interfere with the views?    How did you fix the banging of the lifeboat?

I might have time to change cabins if there will be a problem with any of this so anxiously awaiting your response.   thanks in advance.

I took a picture of the starboard side on a past Viking Cruise and edited in the room numbers - mostly so I had an idea of what rooms to book in the future.  Hope this helps.  We have chosen to stay mostly on the 5th floor. 

1419069816_VikingRoomNumbersTenders.thumb.JPG.40bb5dbd2c551af6fd77b0b9fb964c55.JPG

• Like 4

4069 is over a boat.  You will certainly hear noises when they are preparing to launch and launch/retrieve.  This is normally at times you would probably be awake or even out of the cabin.  As to fixing the boat noise under 4054 I could do it because I had a career working on ships.  Anyone else it is recommended to call the Services number and request a deck person to hear and then secure any boat noise bothering you anytime other than when in use. 

5 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

I took a picture of the starboard side on a past Viking Cruise and edited in the room numbers - mostly so I had an idea of what rooms to book in the future.  Hope this helps.  We have chosen to stay mostly on the 5th floor. 

1419069816_VikingRoomNumbersTenders.thumb.JPG.40bb5dbd2c551af6fd77b0b9fb964c55.JPG

Thank you.  That helps al lot as I see we are directly over a lifeboat.

May see if I can get a different cabin.  I have been on 5 before so I know it is a quiet deck.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

4069 is over a boat.  You will certainly hear noises when they are preparing to launch and launch/retrieve.  This is normally at times you would probably be awake or even out of the cabin.  As to fixing the boat noise under 4054 I could do it because I had a career working on ships.  Anyone else it is recommended to call the Services number and request a deck person to hear and then secure any boat noise bothering you anytime other than when in use. 

So they don't launch the lifeboats early when having to tender?   I have been on other lines that were launching early in the morning.  I usually stay on 5 on Viking away from the lifeboats but the Viking person doing our booking said he stayed in this cabin and it was great.   Should I trust that or not?   

2 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

It can be early and they can be retrieving them late.  Depends on the schedule and the ports.  It will be posted in your Viking Journey itinerary as to tender ports.

Thanks.  Think I will see if I can change cabins although the web site says they are all sold out.   

We have been in a cabin above one of the tender boats and really were not bothered by the launch or retrieval of the boat. But each to their own. 4069 is over a lifeboat and I suspect if they are launching that boat... noise is your least concern. 😁

35 minutes ago, Camden lady said:

So they don't launch the lifeboats early when having to tender?   I have been on other lines that were launching early in the morning.  I usually stay on 5 on Viking away from the lifeboats but the Viking person doing our booking said he stayed in this cabin and it was great.   Should I trust that or not?   

Similar to Jim, we have spent 100+ days in a Dk 4 cabin above the lifeboats. We have booked another 140 days in the same cabin.

Occasionally you will hear a small electric motor, which is topping up the hydraulic accumulator system. This is required to ensure the boats can be launched with a dead ship. Most probably don't even hear it or know what it is.

At tender ports, they start preparing to launch the boats just prior to arrival, which is when we were getting up and preparing to head for breakfast. We never heard any noise from below that was an issue, as Jim sailed before us and had taught them how to properly secure the boats. I was prepared to do the same, if req'd.

The boats do not restrict the view from the balcony.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Similar to Jim, we have spent 100+ days in a Dk 4 cabin above the lifeboats. We have booked another 140 days in the same cabin.

Occasionally you will hear a small electric motor, which is topping up the hydraulic accumulator system. This is required to ensure the boats can be launched with a dead ship. Most probably don't even hear it or know what it is.

At tender ports, they start preparing to launch the boats just prior to arrival, which is when we were getting up and preparing to head for breakfast. We never heard any noise from below that was an issue, as Jim sailed before us and had taught them how to properly secure the boats. I was prepared to do the same, if req'd.

The boats do not restrict the view from the balcony.

Good to know.  Thank you so much.  I called and was told all the cabins have been sold out even though the cruise is not until July 2023.   Who knows what things will be like by that time....Russia may have decided to invade Norway.  🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Camden lady said:

You might hear them being lowered and raised.  They are hauled up before the boat departs in the late afternoon so unless you are napping it shouldn't bother you.  In the morning if you are not an early riser you might hear them.  A lot of people do like watching the crew do the work though.

57 minutes ago, Haqdeluxe said:

We have been in a cabin above one of the tender boats and really were not bothered by the launch or retrieval of the boat. But each to their own. 4069 is over a lifeboat and I suspect if they are launching that boat... noise is your least concern. 😁

Lifeboats are the tenders for shore excursions.

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Lifeboats are the tenders for shore excursions.

I'm referring to the boat in the middle of the three. I've seen the ones on either end/side (tenders) of the middle one (lifeboat) used many times for tender duties but have never ever seen the one in the middle lowered. Have you? 

8 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

CC, what ship was this ? On Venus we had 4055, but it's skipped in your photo. Had no noise, and no obstructed view.

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Occasionally you will hear a small electric motor, which is topping up the hydraulic accumulator system. This is required to ensure...

Now I know what to say to impress the Captain during an impromptu interaction. 

"Sir, was that gentle motorized sound the hydraulic accumulator system getting topped off?" 

😁

• Like 3

9 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

CC, what ship was this ? On Venus we had 4055, but it's skipped in your photo. Had no noise, and no obstructed view.

This is what is known as a mistake on my part!  I never noticed that I had simply skipped 4055 in keying the room numbers.  Thank you for catching my error!  Obviously 4055 is in there between 4057 and 4053.  So sorry!

This was actually the Viking Sky, and taken in port in Stockholm (where one could stand on the "cliff" opposite the ship and get a great view looking north).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

This is what is known as a mistake on my part!  I never noticed that I had simply skipped 4055 in keying the room numbers.  Thank you for catching my error!  Obviously 4055 is in there between 4057 and 4053.  So sorry!

This was actually the Viking Sky, and taken in port in Stockholm (where one could stand on the "cliff" opposite the ship and get a great view looking north).

Thank you, CC, no apology necessary!  I was quite impressed with your photo and cabin# overlay.  Have not been to Stockholm, but everyone says how beautiful it is, especially Sail in.  Hope to see it someday.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Haqdeluxe said:

I'm referring to the boat in the middle of the three. I've seen the ones on either end/side (tenders) of the middle one (lifeboat) used many times for tender duties but have never ever seen the one in the middle lowered. Have you? 

You are correct, the one in the middle certainly looks different and like a lifeboat.  I never saw it lowered for tendering and never observed the crews emergency drills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FetaCheese said:

Thank you, CC, no apology necessary!  I was quite impressed with your photo and cabin# overlay.  Have not been to Stockholm, but everyone says how beautiful it is, especially Sail in.  Hope to see it someday.

Impressed by photo also.  Saved it as a screen shot for further reference.  Thanks.

9 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

You are correct, the one in the middle certainly looks different and like a lifeboat.  I never saw it lowered for tendering and never observed the crews emergency drills.

Had cabin #6030 on O--R ship, was listed as obstructed, but only partially, by a similar small life boat.  Really could see well out of large rectangular window.  Really like that cabin (also same as #6033).  I like to refer to that small size boat as a "commander's boat".  Andy, any thoughts?