The Sanctuary on Discovery Princess

Taykee1

I spent a week in the sanctuary on the Discovery this April. The cabanas are very nice and cost $220 per full day and $140 per half day. This covers 2 people in the cabana. No discount for solo. No discount for booking the entire cruise. Loungers are $40 per full day and $20 per half day and are discounted to $30 per full day if booked the entire cruise. Prices are the same on sea days as port days. On Alaska sailings the price of loungers will be increased on scenic cruising days such as Glacier Bay day but the cabanas will stay the same price. 

Half days are from 8 am to noon and 1 pm to 5 pm. On the Discovery they served afternoon tea on sea and port days. Some other ships have only served tea on sea days. 

In addition to what you see stocked in the fridge of our cabana we were given a 375 ml bottle of alcohol of our choice (Bombay/absolut vodka/Jim Beam) per half day, so 2 for each full day. Alternatively we could choose a bottle of red or white wine per half day. 

The menu I posted a picture of is available to all but the soft drinks/booze/bowls of fruit are given only to those in cabanas. Afternoon tea is served to all sanctuary guests. The sanctuary crew will bring drinks from the retreat bar for any sanctuary guest but you will either use your drink package or charge them to your folio. 

The hot tub is the cleanest on the ship and is for all sanctuary guests. 

As to whether the sanctuary is worth doing on an Alaskan cruise or not that simply depends on what the weather happens to be like and your personal tolerance for it. I have done the sanctuary for an entire 10 day Alaskan sailing RT out of SF and loved it. I posted one picture from that cruise. Pretty sure you will be able to pick it out. 

A1C2500D-E540-4B00-B34F-DA0297623AE5.jpeg

4F8393B4-F6C3-4455-BCE0-B856F44CEF0C.jpeg

D984DA22-A442-47F8-9B84-28549B752A05.jpeg

75CCF0CC-E4CF-4A06-8783-ABF31EFB591D.jpeg

25DC812D-B0C9-459A-8069-133E9680046E.jpeg

7FD64295-3534-4E29-9401-4BF1874CC38B.jpeg

1A1A73C6-6871-4C11-A827-6721D13DA2B7.jpeg

09F5ED4A-2B40-4201-BA39-4F9DB328B587.jpeg

979C9C26-5357-466F-9643-F0479DA4C961.jpeg

F06976CC-2603-4507-83F6-20489C3B3F13.jpeg

CA7BD51B-959E-4C3E-A4D3-85D622B065E0.jpeg

F3FA23D0-9AE2-4344-8271-FCF5E3F53933.jpeg

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, but I do not like the Sanctuary much on Royal Class as there is just too much direct/indirect sun.  Hard to get shade (very few locations).  Much prefer Crown/Grand Class for this.  But I do like time there on sea days for sure. 

Is there a huge difference between the retreat area and the sanctuary? 1st time on princess and trying to see a difference between an area for free and one that seems to be quite a bit of extra dinero.

The retreat areas vary a bit from the grand to the Royal class but essentially they are an adult only area with a pool and hot tub or two.  On the Discovery there was a bar but on the Grand and Ruby there is not. The loungers are nice and do have padding. The sanctuary loungers are a definite upgrade though. There’s no special menu, no special dedicated attendants, no afternoon tea …… it’s just a (most of the time) quieter space. I have at times experienced loud party type adults there. In the sanctuary it is ALWAYS quiet and peaceful and calm. 

$20 is a pretty cheap buy in for an afternoon sea day to see if you like the sanctuary or not. You can use OBC. 

The cabanas are shaded. There are fewer shaded loungers on the Royal class than the grand class (Island has an aft sanctuary that I really love). 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel

It's usually too cold in Alaska, but the pool area outside it has some nice lounger/recliner areas that people rarely discover, since it's a bit more hidden on Discovery with the Penthouse suites over the Lido pool area. I wish they'd retrofit every ship to have a Hollywood Pool and Conservatory, as on Majestic, particularly since the new NCL ships have gorgeous front viewing areas, RC has a nice front Solarium, and even HAL still keeps their classy Crow's Nest, all of them free and sheltered. The other lines have bars there to make money, instead of charging for access. 

• Like 1