Tattoo in Edinburg

Let Me Travel!

Oh so sad! We will be in Edinburg during the Tattoo, but also, we are leaving that port late afternoon (5:00PM) and the shows don’t even start until evening…has anyone ever been? I would dearly love to go…I wish Viking would offer an excursion or at least stay in the port long enough for pax to attend….please share if you have ever been able to attend…I’ve heard from some friends that it is a once in a lifetime experience!

2 hours ago, Let Me Travel! said:

Oh so sad! We will be in Edinburg during the Tattoo, but also, we are leaving that port late afternoon (5:00PM) and the shows don’t even start until evening…has anyone ever been? I would dearly love to go…I wish Viking would offer an excursion or at least stay in the port long enough for pax to attend….please share if you have ever been able to attend…I’ve heard from some friends that it is a once in a lifetime experience!

And here I was about to recommend a tattoo shop on Rose St in Edinburgh New Town.... 😁

We have been to the tattoo twice over the years, as well as spending Hogmanay (New Years) in Edinburgh. Highly recommend both. 👌 

We have attended the Edinburgh Military Tattoo a number of times over the years. We prefer the stand facing the castle and usually book seats for the 2nd show on the last night. Definitely worth a visit.

If you wish to visit the Tattoo, you could always request approval from Viking to remain ashore for the evening and rejoin the ship at the next port.

Assuming the next port is Invergordon, it is an easy drive up the M90/A9. Less than 200 miles.

Edited by Heidi13

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

If you wish to visit the Tattoo, you could always request approval from Viking to remain ashore for the evening and rejoin the ship at the next port.

Assuming the next port is Invergordon, it is an easy drive up the M90/A9. Less than 200 miles.

I would do that in a minute! Although Inverness is also an awesome place. But the Tattoo is amazing. Here's some pics from a few years back when we went.

EdinburghCastle TattooSigned.jpg

EdinburghTattoo1Signed.jpg

EdinburghTattoo2Signed.jpg

EdinburghTattoo3Signed copy.jpg

EdinburthTattoo FireworksSigned.jpg

• Like 1

We'd also request to jump ship for the night and join in the next port. We were on a Celebrity cruise a few years ago and the ship was there overnight specifically for the Tattoo. Surprised that Viking wouldn't do the same. Quite a memory!

I totally understand that Viking has to make advance reservations for dock times etc…and I did not plan this trip based on the Tattoo, in fact, I only realized the Tattoo would be happening at the same time we would be there about 1 month ago…but….it would be a real gift if Viking could allow us to stay in Edinburg until late to allow any pax that want to - to stay to watch….I’d just love it!   Maybe we could go really, really fast during the night to get to the next port on-time!

3 hours ago, Let Me Travel! said:

I totally understand that Viking has to make advance reservations for dock times etc…and I did not plan this trip based on the Tattoo, in fact, I only realized the Tattoo would be happening at the same time we would be there about 1 month ago…but….it would be a real gift if Viking could allow us to stay in Edinburg until late to allow any pax that want to - to stay to watch….I’d just love it!   Maybe we could go really, really fast during the night to get to the next port on-time!

Sadly, they couldn’t make it. When we went (off Celebrity Silhouette) we did not get back to the tender dock until 11:30 pm. By the time the last tender was on the ship it was 2:30 am. Not sure if Viking ships can dock in Edinburgh but Celebrity ships can’t and it’s a LONG tender out due to tides that force the ship to anchor far away.

14 hours ago, Let Me Travel! said:

Unfortunately, that isn't an option, as by the time everyone was aboard, tenders secured and the ship got underway, it would require a speed well in excess of 30 kts to make Invergordon.

If you don't want to stay overnight and drive up to rejoin the ship, you could easily arrive a few days early and fly/train up to Edinburgh for the Tattoo. The train service is brilliant, high speed in 5 hrs or less.

• 4 months later...

For those who'd really, really like to make a bucket list event out of The Tattoo, let me recommend The Royal Gallery, which offers the only covered seating in the venue. It's eye-wateringly expensive, but you'll be seated alongside visiting dignitaries and will enjoy a cocktail reception afterwards with senior Officers of some of the regiments participating.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2022 at 10:49 PM, SempreMare said:

Wow.  That is exactly the type of event I like to focus an entire DIY land vacation around.  Thanks so much for posting @Let Me Travel!

I opened this topic out of confused curiosity, thinking

:: Why are Viking cruisers so interested in getting a tattoo in Edinburgh? ::

Talk about a catchy title for a thread.🙃

3 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

For those who'd really, really like to make a bucket list event out of The Tattoo, let me recommend The Royal Gallery, which offers the only covered seating in the venue. It's eye-wateringly expensive, but you'll be seated alongside visiting dignitaries and will enjoy a cocktail reception afterwards with senior Officers of some of the regiments participating.

Definitely the best seats in the house. In addition to being prohibitively expensive, I recall they also have a dress code, which was Uniform or business attire.

Rather than the Royal Gallery, we book the Premium Seats, which are just below the Royal Gallery. Same great view and much cheaper, but not under cover

• Like 1