Which cruise line to Sitka

tetleytea

Not that I ever start a bloody religious war every now and then, but I'm trying to decide between a cruise line to Alaska for 2022.   I'm trying to decide between Holland, Norwegian, and RCCL; all of whom have sailings to Sitka.   Norwegian lets me pick up a Club Class Suite for just a little more than the price of a balcony on Holland.  We are active, working adults.   We like to share a table in the MDR, but is that still simply not a thing at all on Norwegian?    Can't decide.   

Thanks for anything you know.

9 hours ago, tetleytea said:

We like to share a table in the MDR, but is that still simply not a thing at all on Norwegian?

If you would like to share a table just ask the host !

Usually table sharing is appreciated on the first night of the cruise when those without dinner

reservations overwhelm the MDRs during the prime dining time.

The host is looking to accommodate the crowd and your offer would be one of the solutions.

The table selection location may not be the best.

Checking with the host well in advance may have better results.

But NCL does table share in the MDRs - - - 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tetleytea said:

Are the hosts asking if we are willing to share?   It seems kind of awkward if we were the only ones saying we would share.  

Perhaps not - - -

But then - - -

Crowds - waiting times half hour or better - times a wasting for delaying dinner to see a show

or other sail-away event -

Chance offer it to the host for an alternative -

May be the ice breaker to solve the problem -

More in likely only going to happen that first cruise night.

On 7/1/2022 at 6:33 PM, Ashland said:

We're sailing RCI Serenade in September and Sitka will be one of our port stops. A new one for us.

Enjoy!! I just got off RCCL Serenade today.. Sitka was my favorite stop. It was the most beautiful setting of the 3 in my opinion!! 😍

FE10C2B8-29BB-416E-AEE3-F343DFFAAF0F.jpeg

8 hours ago, texasweather said:

Enjoy!! I just got off RCCL Serenade today.. Sitka was my favorite stop. It was the most beautiful setting of the 3 in my opinion!! 😍

FE10C2B8-29BB-416E-AEE3-F343DFFAAF0F.jpeg

What did you do in Sitka ? We'll be an extended family that includes our two young grandsons and want to do the Raptor center and Bear excursion. I've tried to book a private tour although someone said they have these tours available after you get off the shuttle bus into town.

HAL does Sitka.  We got back a week ago tomorrow.

Here is how close the HAL boat is in Sitka (no tendering or walking a mile).  I am not a huge HAL-only fan as we will cruise any line that we get a good deal with and NCL is on my radar now but this may help you some...  I believe the others MAY have to tender in??  Could be wrong, of course.   

IMG_1523.JPEG

Edited by CupKayke

14 hours ago, Ashland said:

What did you do in Sitka ? We'll be an extended family that includes our two young grandsons and want to do the Raptor center and Bear excursion. I've tried to book a private tour although someone said they have these tours available after you get off the shuttle bus into town.

We just walked around town and shopped.. not much to do in town itself but I did find it had the most beautiful setting of our stops. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, texasweather said:

We just walked around town and shopped.. not much to do in town itself but I did find it had the most beautiful setting of our stops. 

Ketchikan is my "walk around town and shop" port; especially when that port-of-call is short.  The Creek Street salmon run is good when it's in season, anyway.

On 7/4/2022 at 12:30 AM, tetleytea said:

I decided on Norwegian, the reason being that the sailing goes to Sitka and ISP.  

Now we have a lot of work to do figuring out the excursions.  Never been to Sitka before.

On our first visit, we went to the Raptor Center, the Fortress of the Bears, and the small aquarium. We enjoyed all 3 of those stops, but I could see how some people might find them a little cheesy. We're looking at a marine wildlife excursion for our upcoming visit in September. 

We have a brief stop at ISP, and my wife chose the ziprider, we'll see how that goes.