Weather channels

Ellen495

I ignore weather channels when traveling to the Caribbean (rain could mean for 10 minutes). How about Alaska? How accurate is Accuweather? We leave July 10 and the weather shows rain and 50's daily. Should I assume  that's correct ? (It is what it is - we'll have fun regardless - but packing differently if so)

THANKS!

Ellen

I've been watching it closely too, as we leave July 11th.  Try to find a site that tells you not only the chance of precipitation, but how much to expect.  There are lots out there, but I've been looking at this 14 day: https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us/14-day-weather-trend/alaska/juneau?from7day=1

Days range from 1 inch to trace, so that at least gives an idea of drizzle or downpour. 🙂  Looks like it will be fairly cool for us!

1 hour ago, scrotser said:

I've been watching it closely too, as we leave July 11th.  Try to find a site that tells you not only the chance of precipitation, but how much to expect.  There are lots out there, but I've been looking at this 14 day: https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us/14-day-weather-trend/alaska/juneau?from7day=1

Days range from 1 inch to trace, so that at least gives an idea of drizzle or downpour. 🙂  Looks like it will be fairly cool for us!

Yeah I repacked very warm clothes. I don't mind cool. Drizzle is okay. Downpour would be a drag. I wonder if the rain cancels the helicopter to the glacier....

40 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

We live in Alaska, and use Weatherunderground.  The ten day forecast provides insight into possible future conditions, but they are fairly accurate for two or three days out.

Is it worth going to Seward to do Major Marine Fjord trip if it's raining all day? We are spending about 1200 for one day (at least). 400 for a taxi from the airport at 8:30  pm, 400 for hotel, whatever the cost of the trip, and the cost of the gold star train back to Anchorage the next day. Personally I thought that was nuts in the first place, but my husband wanted to see Seward (and the cruise is now out of Whittier) but if the fjord trip will be unpleasant, we may as well stay in Anchorage and not spend the money and the hassle. Thoughts? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2022 at 6:08 PM, Ellen495 said:

Is it worth going to Seward to do Major Marine Fjord trip if it's raining all day? We are spending about 1200 for one day (at least). 400 for a taxi from the airport at 8:30  pm, 400 for hotel, whatever the cost of the trip, and the cost of the gold star train back to Anchorage the next day. Personally I thought that was nuts in the first place, but my husband wanted to see Seward (and the cruise is now out of Whittier) but if the fjord trip will be unpleasant, we may as well stay in Anchorage and not spend the money and the hassle. Thoughts? 

Are you cruising a different fjord on your itinerary?

On 7/4/2022 at 9:08 PM, Ellen495 said:

I don’t know if it would be worth it, as it depends on you.....but my Seward activities were the highlight of my Alaska trip this year.  It was sunny, so I don’t know how it would be if it were raining, but the wildlife and the glacier were better than anything we saw on any tour afterwards.  We got within 1/4 of a mile of the glacier (the cruise ship probably got 5 miles, the excursion got within 1/2 mile from what I heard) and it was amazing.  Why not take a car instead of going with all the cost of the railroad and backtracking? The major marine boat has all indoor assigned seating (advantage if it is raining) and ability to walk around the boat outside if you want.  I really wouldn’t miss Seward.....though I thought there were some glacier boat trips from Whittier? That could be an option too.