Free at Sea dining promo questions

bookworm61

We have 2 free at sea dining vouchers for our 7 night greece/israel cruise. I see some of the dining venues are  a la carte rather prix fixe. How does that work with the voucher? Also, how far in advance can we book that? 

Finally, any nights that are best to eat in the main dining room anyway because it's a special meal? 

Thanks for all advice! 

Edited by bookworm61

I've got similar questions.   Can we book reservations last-minute after we try to go to the MDR and the lines are really long, with any luck?     Is there a thread/article somewhere for when the long lines are on Norwegian (e.g. on At Sea days vs. port days with a 6pm muster call)?

in 12 years of sailing with ncl the most ive ever had to wait for mdr was about 15 minutes, any of the mdr's on board are huge.

it may be tough, however, to book at the last minute for a specialty restaurant, sep cially like teppanyaki or le bistro. better to try and make reservations early either that day, or a few days prior.  you can then cancel ahead of time if you can get into the mdr. 

1 hour ago, bookworm61 said:

We have 2 free at sea dining vouchers for our 7 night greece/israel cruise. I see some of the dining venues are  a la carte rather prix fixe. How does that work with the voucher? Also, how far in advance can we book that? 

This is asked frequently.  Book whichever venues you want.  If you want to book more than you have credits for and don't know at which venues you want to use the credits you will want to book the fixed-price first as the system will assume you're using your credit there and not try to charge you, THEN book the a-la-carte.  When you sit, the server or host will ask if you're using the dining credit.

When can you book?  Generally, bookings open 120 days before sailing, higher-tier Latitudes Rewards members and those sailing in suites and above can book at 130 days before sailing.  Don't be worried if there are no reservations for the number of people and time you would prefer, only a fraction of the reservations are available before embarkation day.

Specialty dining usually won't have a "long line" as it's generally seated by reservation only.

2 hours ago, bookworm61 said:

Finally, any nights that are best to eat in the main dining room anyway because it's a special meal? 

Thanks for all advice! 

Specialty dining credits allow you to order multiple appetizers, an entrée, multiple sides, and desserts. There may be a couple of items on a menu that have an upcharge when using a dining credit. Otherwise it is all covered. Some waiters will tell you you can only have a single appetizer, but that is not what the promotion allows. 

Reservations open 120 days prior to departure and prime time dining will sell out fast. Exceptions: If you are in a suite, you can book 130 days in advance or a club suite 125 days in advance. 

You chose when you want to use your dining package at time of dining. If you are going to eat at a fixed price restaurant (e.g., Teppanyaki) and pay out of pocket, book those first. Then the a la carte restaurants. 

The Executive Chef on the ship has a selection of 14 (or more) menus to select from for your cruise. So, only Chef knows what's for dinner on any given night in the MDR. So there are no "best nights" to eat in the MDR. 

1 hour ago, cruiserbear55 said:

port days with a 6pm muster call)?

?

In other words, some port days, the time you have to be on ship concides with dinner time.   When are the lines long?   On At Sea days, or port days when everybody is on board only part of the time the MDRs are open?   On Princess, we could go to the MDR right when it opens at 5pm and walk right in.  And then we'd walk out of MDR after we were done (but right before a show in the theatre), and there would be a long line.  We would frequently turn down the post-dinner coffee, out of courtesy to the people waiting in line.

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You chose when you want to use your dining package at time of dining. If you are going to eat at a fixed price restaurant (e.g., Teppanyaki) and pay out of pocket, book those first. Then the a la carte restaurants. 

First time cruising with NCL. This may be a stupid question, but I have to ask. We recently booked and the package allows for two nights of specialty dining. If we book a specialty restaurant that does not have fixed prices, like Teppanyaki, we would use one of our specialty allowances and pay any upcharge on the menu correct? It that's the case, we'd not want to use our last allowance at a fixed price specialty restaurant, but save it for another specialty restaurant that's ala carte right? Pay out of pocket for Teppanyaki?

3 hours ago, tetleytea said:

In other words, some port days, the time you have to be on ship concides with dinner time.   When are the lines long?   On At Sea days, or port days when everybody is on board only part of the time the MDRs are open?   On Princess, we could go to the MDR right when it opens at 5pm and walk right in.  And then we'd walk out of MDR after we were done (but right before a show in the theatre), and there would be a long line.  We would frequently turn down the post-dinner coffee, out of courtesy to the people waiting in line.

I'm sorry, I couldn't figure out what you meant by "port days with 6:00PM muster call". After your explanation ,I realized what you were asking. I think you should have said"port days with 6:00PM all aboard call". Muster refers to learning how to put on a life vest and where to meet for your assembly station. It takes awhile for us old folks to figure out what you young uns are saying!!

12 hours ago, Debz62 said:

First time cruising with NCL. This may be a stupid question, but I have to ask. We recently booked and the package allows for two nights of specialty dining. If we book a specialty restaurant that does not have fixed prices, like Teppanyaki, we would use one of our specialty allowances and pay any upcharge on the menu correct? It that's the case, we'd not want to use our last allowance at a fixed price specialty restaurant, but save it for another specialty restaurant that's ala carte right? Pay out of pocket for Teppanyaki?

That's your decision to make.  As a point of reference (and @BirdTravels I think has scans of some of their slips from previous cruises) MY meals at a-la-carte venues have run upwards of $80 average if I were to have paid out of pocket, for ONE person.  If I wanted to go to specialty for more than I had credits for I would probably use the credits on a-la-carte and then out of pocket the cover charge venues.

One a-la-carte venue I definitely wouldn't spend a dining credit on is Q, if it's on the ship you're sailing on.  I'm not saying it's not worth going to, the food was good and the theming of the venue is amazing, but the value just isn't there like it is at other venues.

13 hours ago, Debz62 said:

13 hours ago, Debz62 said:

Teppanyaki is a fixed price, so there is no upcharge to worry about. For a la carte places like Cagneys or Bistro, using a specialty dining plan entitles you to one entree and unlimited starters, salads, soups and desserts.

There are some items that incur an upcharge, but they will be clearly indicated on the menu.

Food Republic is an exception. There you are entitled to four menu items when using your SDP.

Generally, the a la carte restaurants will end up being more expensive than fixed price, and therefore a better monetary value for your free specialty dining. But if you are going to enjoy Japanese hibachi more than French cuisine, obviously value is in the eye (or taste buds) of the beholder.

Edited by AndyCapn
Removed duplicate quote

16 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Specialty dining credits allow you to order multiple appetizers, an entrée, multiple sides, and desserts. There may be a couple of items on a menu that have an upcharge when using a dining credit. Otherwise it is all covered. Some waiters will tell you you can only have a single appetizer, but that is not what the promotion allows. 

Reservations open 120 days prior to departure and prime time dining will sell out fast. Exceptions: If you are in a suite, you can book 130 days in advance or a club suite 125 days in advance. 

The Executive Chef on the ship has a selection of 14 (or more) menus to select from for your cruise. So, only Chef knows what's for dinner on any given night in the MDR. So there are no "best nights" to eat in the MDR. 

Not sure if I lucked out or there was a glitch, but I was able last week to book my specialty dining at 125 days out. I'm Platinum, which used to be high-tier, but not so much anymore, and am booked in a standard balcony cabin. 

We have 3 in our cabin, so I understand that only guests 1 and 2 get the credit; but from looking at what's given per person for the credit and seeing video reviews, etc., it kind of seems like the third person could probably eat their fill off of what the first 2 in our party ordered, especially if a side is added or something. Is it possible for them to just come and sit with us and order drinks a pay a la carte if we end up wanting only a bit more food?

18 minutes ago, astar12 said:

We have 3 in our cabin, so I understand that only guests 1 and 2 get the credit; but from looking at what's given per person for the credit and seeing video reviews, etc., it kind of seems like the third person could probably eat their fill off of what the first 2 in our party ordered, especially if a side is added or something. Is it possible for them to just come and sit with us and order drinks a pay a la carte if we end up wanting only a bit more food?

That seems perfectly reasonable to me.  I would just ask for an extra plate to use.  Also, Food Republic is ideal for stretching specialty dining credits.  Each credit gets four items.  Last cruise, three of us split two credits for one meal and one credit for a lunch.  If you're still hungry, hit the buffet!! 😎

1 hour ago, astar12 said:

I did this with a group since I didn't want a full dinner & my credits were used up. I ordered a baked potato & the server was nice enough to put it with another order & I did not have to pay.