MV Portland Bay Recovery Attempt.

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

Pretty much. Thanks.

I have met Chris Frame on a couple of cruises, where he often lectures on the history of Cunard or cruising in general. I have long been a fan of his work.

Thats a lecture I would have enjoyed immensely, much more than towel rolling. 😂 

• Haha 1

On 7/7/2022 at 11:47 AM, Docker123 said:

A few years ago there a cruise ship which kept breaking down. After about a lot of repair stops, it broke down entirely in Bass Strait. Norwegian Star, 2017.

A/Some very large tugs we’re sent to tow it back to Melbourne.

I don’t know whose tugs, but there are some around the coast which can be deployed.

It did take 24 hours before the ocean-going tug reached us, though.  Yes, I was on board.  Both azipods stopped working.  The ship was "dead in the water".  It had been hobbling around the world on one azipod but NCL wouldn't cancel any cruises so that the ship could be repaired in Singapore.  The German engineers were still on board in Melbourne, so finally and properly fixed there.  

Nevertheless, for those who know Bass Strait, the situation could have ended in disaster!  Fortunately it was warm and sunny, and the sea calm and smooth.  NCL opened the bar to all on board!

22 hours ago, Port Power said:

It did take 24 hours before the ocean-going tug reached us, though.  Yes, I was on board.  Both azipods stopped working.  The ship was "dead in the water".  It had been hobbling around the world on one azipod but NCL wouldn't cancel any cruises so that the ship could be repaired in Singapore.  The German engineers were still on board in Melbourne, so finally and properly fixed there.  

Nevertheless, for those who know Bass Strait, the situation could have ended in disaster!  Fortunately it was warm and sunny, and the sea calm and smooth.  NCL opened the bar to all on board!

You were so lucky with the weather.