What’s allowed to carry onboard? 2 bottles of wine per person? Or 2 per cabin?

letsgogogo

I have always understood it to be 2 per cabin and this is what’s stated in the FAQs on the Celebrity site. But I have heard and read posts from others suggesting this has changed. If so is that official and documented anywhere? Or just lax enforcement? 

4 hours ago, TowandaUK said:

It’s recently changed to 2 per person. Check it out on the celebrity faq

image.thumb.png.67f668a4a7c447b935a61f4c47e39e48.png

Interesting,  if I am read this right if we have a beverage package we do not have to pay a corkage fee for the two bottles of wine we bring onboard?

1 minute ago, canderson said:

Correct.  

Great news, we board the Reflection in less than 30 days, and I know I can find a couple of bottles of great Italian wine to take with us in Rome. 

37 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Great news, we board the Reflection in less than 30 days, and I know I can find a couple of bottles of great Italian wine to take with us in Rome. 

There must be some irony in taking Italian wine to Rome!

If you like Italian, watch for this one while aboard.20211108_202927.thumb.jpg.805b2b5211552c995c926532b6c51f1c.jpg

13 minutes ago, canderson said:

There must be some irony in taking Italian wine to Rome!

If you like Italian, watch for this one while aboard.20211108_202927.thumb.jpg.805b2b5211552c995c926532b6c51f1c.jpg

What I meant was it will be easy to find great Italian wines in Rome to take onboard with us in Rome. It would be silly to take them to Rome from the US, LOL

The wine in your picture is from the Tenuta wine estates area south of Florence and we are doing a 6 day land trip after our cruise to Florence and have scheduled some winery visiting in Tenuta, which produces some of our favorite Italian Reds. I will look for it onboard. Here is a link to the winery; 

Tignanello | Marchesi Antinori

Last time in Italy in 2018 we shipped home a couple of cases of Italian wine from wineries we visited,

Edited by terrydtx

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

What I meant was it will be easy to find great Italian wines in Rome to take onboard with us in Rome. It would be silly to take them to Rome from the US, LOL

Yes ... I misread your intent!

If you find older vintages that require decanting, if you're lucky, your sommelier will handle that tableside and will supply some decent glassware.  It's been a long while since I've brought anything aboard that required it, so don't know if the training is still in place.  If you do, let us know how it went.  I'd tip the original corkage charge if it done properly.

7 minutes ago, canderson said:

Yes ... I misread your intent!

If you find older vintages that require decanting, if you're lucky, your sommelier will handle that tableside and will supply some decent glassware.  It's been a long while since I've brought anything aboard that required it, so don't know if the training is still in place.  If you do, let us know how it went.  I'd tip the original corkage charge if it done properly.

Our last trip to Italy we found some excellent Brunello Montalcino wines very reasonably priced in Rome. They normally require decanting to open up, so I will take your suggestion to our Luminae sommelier. Even the Tignanello you suggested should be decanted.

After we leave Florence we will be in Venice for a few more days and have a wine tasting trip to the Pino Grigio and Prosecco wine producing areas north of Venice.

Edited by terrydtx

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

Our last trip to Italy we found some excellent Brunello Montalcino wines very reasonably priced in Rome. They normally require decanting to open up, so I will take your suggestion to our Luminae sommelier. Even the Tignanello you suggested should be decanted.

The 16 Tignanello had no sediment, and required only a little aeration to open up.  

11 minutes ago, canderson said:

Stop me before I go all pedantic on aeration vs decanting...

Good to know!  Usually I hold off on Tig until it's 10-12 years old.  Given I usually can't wait, I purchased 375s of the '15 and '16.  Having said this, I preferred it when it was $40/bt....ah the good ole days!

38 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

The wine in your picture is from the Tenuta wine estates area south of Florence and we are doing a 6 day land trip after our cruise to Florence and have scheduled some winery visiting in Tenuta, which produces some of our favorite Italian Reds. I will look for it onboard. Here is a link to the winery; 

Tignanello | Marchesi Antinori

Last time in Italy in 2018 we shipped home a couple of cases of Italian wine from wineries we visited,

Terry--if you get a chance, eat at Osteria di Passignano (the Anitnori restaurant right next to the vineyard where the 'regular' Sangiovese grapes are grown, and around the corner from the Tig vineyard.  They have a tour where you get to walk through the vineyards with a guide, see the inside of the old monastery converted into wine storage space, and eat dinner at their restaurant (including all of Antinori's upper echelon wines).  Well worth it if it's still offered.

• Thanks 1

I won't say another year or two wouldn't be beneficial, but the 16 has the edges all nicely rounded off already.  We had them swap out our 2X 1L booze setup in the cabin for a couple of these.

Edit:  I should add that we have no idea how these were stored during the shutdown.  May have aged more quickly.

Edited by canderson

19 minutes ago, canderson said:

I won't say another year or two wouldn't be beneficial, but the 16 has the edges all nicely rounded off already.  We had them swap out our 2X 1L booze setup in the cabin for a couple of these.

Edit:  I should add that we have no idea how these were stored during the shutdown.  May have aged more quickly.

Never can tell provenance.  But if it was delicious--who cares!

Interesting on the liquor set up.  We have this on our upcoming cruise on Millie.  DW is a lightweight and I cannot go through 2L of bourbon/tequila in a week (well I could, but it would be ugly).  Swapping for wine is a good idea.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Terry--if you get a chance, eat at Osteria di Passignano (the Anitnori restaurant right next to the vineyard where the 'regular' Sangiovese grapes are grown, and around the corner from the Tig vineyard.  They have a tour where you get to walk through the vineyards with a guide, see the inside of the old monastery converted into wine storage space, and eat dinner at their restaurant (including all of Antinori's upper echelon wines).  Well worth it if it's still offered.

Thanks, we will look for the restaurant.

20 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Never can tell provenance.  But if it was delicious--who cares!

Interesting on the liquor set up.  We have this on our upcoming cruise on Millie.  DW is a lightweight and I cannot go through 2L of bourbon/tequila in a week (well I could, but it would be ugly).  Swapping for wine is a good idea.

It's just that this particular 16 may not have aged similarly to something Terry might have in the cellar.

Yes, ask the shoreside concierge about a swap!  We had a 15nt B2B and no way we'd have been able to glug down 4L of booze (2L for each leg!)

1 hour ago, kearney said:

So if you have the classic package no corkage fee..but if you don't what is the fee in the dining room? I thought it was $25... 

I think it is $25…..I have another question that I wonder if anyone can answer. There is no corkage fee for those with a drink package,  but what if one is sailing with no package? My daughter wants to bring some champagne on board and share it with me. She has a drink package and I don’t. Are they going to let me have some? Will they charge me a corkage fee if it’s her bottle? 🤔 

54 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

I think it is $25…..I have another question that I wonder if anyone can answer. There is no corkage fee for those with a drink package,  but what if one is sailing with no package? My daughter wants to bring some champagne on board and share it with me. She has a drink package and I don’t. Are they going to let me have some? Will they charge me a corkage fee if it’s her bottle? 🤔 

I doubt they would have an issue with who is drinking...by the way...you can have the wine in your cabin on your own..so no fee. That is what we have done...Alas I don't think the cabin attendant would have champagne glasses...but perhaps they do.

Thanks for posting about the change. I guess there's not been any formalization yet on how B2Bs are to be treated? I always understood the unofficial rule to be you can take on initially wine for both sailings, and have been successful doing so, but it would be good to have that written out somewhere too. 

• 1 month later...

I must be getting older? Would someone explain to us shy, never ask folks why does Celebrity allow you to bring on 4 bottles of wine in your carry on, BUT will not let you have drinks served in a Cabin that has passengers over 21? Do they think we are smuggling under age kids with us? We leave them home!  LOL

$1000 bill.jpg

19 minutes ago, kjwinston2019 said:

I must be getting older? Would someone explain to us shy, never ask folks why does Celebrity allow you to bring on 4 bottles of wine in your carry on, BUT will not let you have drinks served in a Cabin that has passengers over 21? Do they think we are smuggling under age kids with us? We leave them home!  LOL

$1000 bill.jpg

I didn't know this was an official rule; some cocktail glasses are exclusive to certain bars so it's easier on the crew