Current taxi availability from SEATAC

Sea saw 56

For those who have flown into SEATAC recently, were there cabs waiting in the 3rd floor ground transportation area?

I know the pandemic has changed many things, so I hope those with a recent arrival into Seattle might answer this question.

We will be arriving around 1:00 pm on the Thursday before Labor Day, and I am trying to decide whether I should go ahead and pre-book a service.

We will not be in a huge rush, as we are coming in a day ahead of a cruise and will go to the Edgewater beside Pier 66.

46 minutes ago, Sea saw 56 said:

For those who have flown into SEATAC recently, were there cabs waiting in the 3rd floor ground transportation area?

I know the pandemic has changed many things, so I hope those with a recent arrival into Seattle might answer this question.

We fly into Seatac several times a year to visit family and only use Uber or Lyft now. The pandemic decimated what was left of Seattle taxis. Haven't been in the past few months so it's possible they have rebounded a bit, but Uber/Lyft are much nicer, similar in price, and they pick you right up on the 3rd floor parking garage. 

1 hour ago, Sea saw 56 said:

We have never used Uber or Lyft.  Now that we're in our upper 60's, kind of doubt it will happen, but thank you for the suggestion anyway.

I'm 60 and just started using Lyft, so easy to do.  No cash exchanges hands,  on your credit card that is on file with the company.   Can also put your tip on after the trip, if so desired. 

5 hours ago, CGBanks said:

We fly in within the next couple weeks and plan on using a taxi also.  I will try to remember to come back and let you know how it went.

Thank you CGBanks.  We fly in September 1st.  We would appreciate your report!

I fly into Seatac a lot and there are lots of taxis.  What I have found is Uber and Lyft has fewer drivers so many times you are paying a 'surge' price without realizing it.  Before landing do a dummy search at home late at nite to see what the 'real' rate should be then you know if your paying too much.

OTOH cabs at Seatac are both 'flat rate' or metered.  There is a taxi dispatcher and they should be able to tell you the flat rate.  These are preferred since then I don't care about traffic as the rate will be the same.  From the Edgewater or pier 66 any cab offers a flat $40 rate to seatac.  Some people say that about pier 91 but spent the day downtown Seattle today and every cab has a price on their door and they all say $40 FROM the downtown hotel zone which would include pier 66 but not 91

On 7/8/2022 at 10:21 AM, Sea saw 56 said:

We have never used Uber or Lyft.  Now that we're in our upper 60's, kind of doubt it will happen, but thank you for the suggestion anyway.

After we used a yellow taxi in Miami to get to the pier and the driver drove all around downtown to jack up the price, we now Uber it. We paid a fortune for a ride that should have cost a third of what we were charged, I learned very quickly how to download and use Uber

Edited by disneylover89

19 minutes ago, disneylover89 said:

After we used a yellow taxi in Miami to get to the pier and the driver drove all around downtown to jack up the price, we now Uber it. We paid a fortune for a ride that should have cost a third of what we were charged, I learned very quickly how to download and use Uber

Before leaving for Tampa for a cruise an April cruise, I learned there would not be any taxis outside our pre-cruise hotel on cruise morning. The hotel manager confirmed it for me.   He recommended a car service that worked very well.

That was the other option we were considering for this location, short of taxi availability.

Checking ahead with people 'in the know' is a wonderful benefit of this forum.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sea saw 56 said:

He recommended a car service that worked very well.

That was the other option we were considering for this location, short of taxi availability.

Checking ahead with people 'in the know' is a wonderful benefit of this forum.

I guess what most people are getting at is the ambivalence towards using it when it is the most cost effective/highest quality solution for the use you are describing. There is a reason that Uber/Lyft decimated the taxi industry in the US.