Travel SIM card - anyone used this one?

Kate-in-Canada

4 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

For an upcoming cruise that's mainly in Spain (18 travel days), I'm leaning towards taking my older iPhone and buying a SIM card with data that works for European countries so it works if/when I need it for any reason. Maybe to call a taxi. OTOH, I may buy it and never use it! Therefore, I may be better off just activating Bell's Roam-Like-Home for a 'day' if needed, for example, if flights need rebooking.

I am considering the exact same thing... using WiFi when on the ship and WhatsApp for friends and family, but if actually needed, I would activate Rogers Roam Like Home for the day and use it to get whatever done.  That cost may be less than the sim and less hassle too!

Oh, and be careful with your Bell roaming if you do activate it.  If like Rogers, the activation follows your home time zone and is 24 hours from 12:01am to 11:59pm.  So if you activate it when it can go over the midnight period, you will be charged for two days, not the one that you thought you were using it in.  This is my understanding anyway.

I may have said this already, but our new method will be:

1. buy the eSIM for data wherever we are - we like having the data to search and map
  2. NOT activate roaming for our home cell number and rely on WhatsAPP and WiFi for iMessage
  3. Add a voice mail message to our home cell number that clearly states that "This mailbox NOT monitored, if important send an email."  Nothing else - no name - no number - just that direct message.

20 hours ago, dawnvip said:

We are booked for South America this winter, so will likely stick with Airalo from now on.

Airalo is a perfect choice for ports of call on South American cruises. Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Argentina and Brazil all have great data service with the esim.  Uruguay is the one exception: it's not covered. 

• Like 1