Travel SIM card - anyone used this one?

Kate-in-Canada

22 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

For a short cruise in another country, we don't buy a SIM card.  We set up 'Roam Like Home' with Bell. It can be activated for any/multiple 24-hr period/s if you need to access your own data package. 

Telus has similar easyroam. But it’s $15 for everyday you use it.  On a 12 day trip that’s 180 bucks. I’d much rather just find a SIM card that works in alaska. Unfortunately all the descriptions says check t mobile map, which shows alaska coverage, only to find out when asking the company that they don’t work in alaska after all.

I previously suggested Fonus. 50 countries for calls unlimited but data only for US Canada and Mexico 20 gb for the month. SIM is 15 US and then 30 US per month. Much cheaper than the Can version with the cell companies at 15 per day which is 450 per month. 

12 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

We used new SIM cards for extended stays in Mexico and Australia.

Unsure about a SIM card that would work in multiple countries… UK and Guernsey, France and Spain for 10 days total?

There are many SIM cards available for Europe that cover just about anywhere you might want to travel. This one for example (random pick, not a recommendation) covers 70+ countries:

https://ca.simcorner.com/products/europe-uk-sim-card-12gb?variant=33285019828268&currency=CAD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzKe519mC-QIVDrrICh1xXQaBEAQYASABEgKchvD_BwE

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

There are many SIM cards available for Europe that cover just about anywhere you might want to travel. This one for example (random pick, not a recommendation) covers 70+ countries:

https://ca.simcorner.com/products/europe-uk-sim-card-12gb?variant=33285019828268&currency=CAD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzKe519mC-QIVDrrICh1xXQaBEAQYASABEgKchvD_BwE

Thank you. Do you know where it's shipped from?

Is there a SIM card you can buy (locally) in Canada before you travel?

Probably at Heathrow upon arrival; however, arrive late evening and kiosks may be closed?

7 minutes ago, Adventures ahead said:

Probably at Heathrow upon arrival; however, arrive late evening and kiosks may be closed?

Amazon.ca offers a broad selection of cards that you can purchase here before your trip, but you will probably get a better deal waiting until you arrive in London. I've been doing a bit of research in advance of a multi-country river cruise next year, and found these two companion articles quite informative:

https://www.traveltomtom.net/travel-tips/europe-sim-card

https://www.traveltomtom.net/travel-tips/buying-a-sim-card-in-europe

There is quite a variation in what each SIM card offers. Some, for example, will give you unlimited calling within Europe, but no free calls to or from non-European countries. Others will give you a number of free minutes for such calls. Similarly, there are variations on data use, text messages and the like. So your intended use of your phone during your 10 days in Europe will have a big influence on which one you pick. Happy shopping! 😇

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

When is your trip?

I got a sim from the USA arrived in a week or so  but had also ordered a phone with it (not required)  so took longer  ..this was also pre covid

See my post #14    they give you a UK phone number  with the card

& you can add more $$ to the account if you need it

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

When is your trip?

I got a sim from the USA arrived in a week or so  but had also ordered a phone with it (not required)  so took longer  ..this was also pre covid

See my post #14    they give you a UK phone number  with the card

& you can add more $$ to the account if you need it

We fly Aug 3, return Aug 13.

I'd only use the phone if we got stuck and felt it was an 'emergency'. If I used it only twice (for a 2-day roam-like-home charge with Bell), sounds like it would be about the same price as getting a travel SIM card. Of course, that's the problem with emergencies... you never know when one will arise and how urgent it may be. Otherwise, email on wifi will be adequate communication for this particular cruise. The package is activated on my cell phone from a previous trip so it's already there if I need it.

We're Elite on Princess (don't know if that made a difference) and was able to use a 'courtesy' phone at Guest Services. I contacted a tour operator once when the meeting time got messed up.

Thanks again, everyone, for your replies. I did pick up some tips, especially the new way that Bell counts your 24-hr activation to 11:59pm and in what time zone.

• Like 1

Buying a physical SIM is becoming old school.  Most phones now support dual SIM or an eSIM (virtual SIM) that you buy online before you leave, load it onto your phone and then activate it when you land.  Most cover large regions (so a Europe eSIM will cover every country in Europe, not just an EU country).

The bigger issue is Alaska having spotty service.  AT&T is the most reliable, contact AT&T support and buy an eSIM from them.  They email it to you and you should be good. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.amazon.ca/Preloaded-12GB-Countries-Worldwide-Unlimited/dp/B0B57GFDM5/ref=sr_1_17?crid=10FE878GGTNL5&keywords=uk+3+prepaid+sim+card&qid=1659295077&sprefix=uk+3%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-17

This is the best card. The price varies wherever you buy it, but the function and usable countries are the best with this one.

Combine with whatsapp and Fongo you can call anywhere anytime. Almost.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, darren42 said:

https://www.amazon.ca/Preloaded-12GB-Countries-Worldwide-Unlimited/dp/B0B57GFDM5/ref=sr_1_17?crid=10FE878GGTNL5&keywords=uk+3+prepaid+sim+card&qid=1659295077&sprefix=uk+3%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-17

This is the best card. The price varies wherever you buy it, but the function and usable countries are the best with this one.

Combine with whatsapp and Fongo you can call anywhere anytime. Almost.

Have you used it in EU ? 

In the US, I never get SIM cards. My son has, and he says its cheaper. I just text 222 and when you make your first call of the day, you are charged.(?$8.??) I've been told by Rogers to make sure you make all the calls that you need to on that day. Once done, turn your phone off.

I use wifi extensively when abroad for texting, emails and FaceTiming. Watch the crew, they will lead you to the best spots!!

A word of caution, I've always had spotty service not matter what carrier etc in Alaska, Ireland and Iceland.

22 minutes ago, 3Shelaghs said:

In the US, I never get SIM cards. My son has, and he says its cheaper. I just text 222 and when you make your first call of the day, you are charged.(?$8.??) I've been told by Rogers to make sure you make all the calls that you need to on that day. Once done, turn your phone off.

I use wifi extensively when abroad for texting, emails and FaceTiming. Watch the crew, they will lead you to the best spots!!

A word of caution, I've always had spotty service not matter what carrier etc in Alaska, Ireland and Iceland.

Rogers now charges $12/day for the US and you still have to use your plan's minutes, texts and data.

• Like 1

I’ve been looking for a Sim Card to use in the EU for our westbound TA cruise in November. I came across this company. It is Australian but has a dispatch location in Canada. I submitted a question via their contact us webform this afternoon and they answered 5 hours later. Good reviews, no sales tax, free standard shipping and multi Sim discount.

https://ca.simcorner.com/collections/europe-sim-card

7 hours ago, Munday said:

I’ve been looking for a Sim Card to use in the EU for our westbound TA cruise in November. I came across this company. It is Australian but has a dispatch location in Canada. I submitted a question via their contact us webform this afternoon and they answered 5 hours later. Good reviews, no sales tax, free standard shipping and multi Sim discount.

I have been look at the same one for Sept Copenhagen to Boston TA , it does not cover Greenland 

buy two or and get 5% off 

I will probably or a couple today 

23 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I have been look at the same one for Sept Copenhagen to Boston TA , it does not cover Greenland 

buy two or and get 5% off 

I will probably or a couple today 

Thought i would try this as well and just received my sim card in the mail. You will have to log in and register your sim upon receiving it along with providing the sim card # , order #, and activation date. You will then receive this email confirmation with personal info and info below:. Hoping it works when we go in a couple of weeks.

TMobile / AT&T / O2 / THREE
Your sim will be activated on your nominated dates which is w hen your 30 days of service will begin. If you have made an error with the details provided such as the activation date, please e-mail our support team at: support@simcorner.com along with the sim details. If your travel plans change and you need to update your activation date or put a hold on the activation, please e-mail our support team at least 3 days prior to your initial activation date. If you haven't provided 24 hours notice for activation and need your sim activated urgently or have any other queries, please contact us at support@simcorner.com. We recommend that you take the opportunity to read the instruction sheet provide with the sim card prior to use in order to avoid running into any issues.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2022 at 12:19 AM, Munday said:

I'm also looking at their SIM cards as in late Oct. we'll be going to the Middle East, then NCL Epic cruise from Haifa to Rome.  Would love to hear people's actual experience with these SIM cards.

23 hours ago, Middleager said:

I'm also looking at their SIM cards as in late Oct. we'll be going to the Middle East, then NCL Epic cruise from Haifa to Rome.  Would love to hear people's actual experience with these SIM cards.

Can confirm the sim card arrived in an envelope with a Canadian stamp. So locally mailed.  Ordered on July 28th and arrived via Canada Post regular mail August 5th.  Put phone on airplane mode and then inserted the sim to check the phone number. It will be a UK phone number +44 1234 457890.

image.thumb.png.d541e2571e49e6ad77d11eeec3547047.png

• Like 2