Travel SIM card - anyone used this one?

Kate-in-Canada

In first browse through Amazon, this sim seems like a good option.

https://www.amazon.ca/travSIM-T-Mobile-Prepaid-America-Canada/dp/B08HQM6PP4/ref=sr_1_19?crid=23BI2V1EJUK3K&keywords=us%2Bsim%2Bcard%2B15%2Bdays&qid=1657394372&sprefix=Us%2BSIM%2Bcard%2B15%2Caps%2C144&sr=8-19&th=1

will be on alaska cruise with a few extra days at end of cruise, so need longer than 7 day.

want data and calls in case I need to call hotels / tour operators etc.

anyone bought from this provider and have feedback before I go ahead and order?

cheers!

34 minutes ago, broberts said:

Provides personal experience using an Amazon purchased sim.

im aware, considering that was my post.

my question was experience with this particular one.  Amazon review are split.

I hope you quoting me back to myself was an accident and not taking time to be a deliberate jerk. 

anyway, anyone have experience with this brand? 
no other commentary needed. 

I've no experience with this particular SIM card, but I did note that the 30-day card is $41.99 whereas you could buy two 7-day cards for $37.98. So if you'll be 14 days or less, that's an option to consider. Not a big saving, but why buy more time than you need?

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I've no experience with this particular SIM card, but I did note that the 30-day card is $41.99 whereas you could buy two 7-day cards for $37.98. So if you'll be 14 days or less, that's an option to consider. Not a big saving, but why buy more time than you need?

I looked at that.  I figured I didn’t really want to switch mid travels, nor have to remember to email and activate the second one before the first one expired.  
and the hopefully won’t happen but in case of extended quarantine I’d be covered.  I figured I’d take 30days for a few extra bucks.

im just hesitant because of the split review in it. The whole 40 would be a waste if it didn’t work 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kate-in-Canada said:

im aware, considering that was my post.

my question was experience with this particular one.  Amazon review are split.

I hope you quoting me back to myself was an accident and not taking time to be a deliberate jerk. 

anyway, anyone have experience with this brand? 
no other commentary needed. 

I wasn't paying attention to the posters. OP wording gave me the distinct impression the poster had no experience with Amazon SIM offerings.

Edited by broberts

8 hours ago, Kate-in-Canada said:

In first browse through Amazon, this sim seems like a good option.

https://www.amazon.ca/travSIM-T-Mobile-Prepaid-America-Canada/dp/B08HQM6PP4/ref=sr_1_19?crid=23BI2V1EJUK3K&keywords=us%2Bsim%2Bcard%2B15%2Bdays&qid=1657394372&sprefix=Us%2BSIM%2Bcard%2B15%2Caps%2C144&sr=8-19&th=1

will be on alaska cruise with a few extra days at end of cruise, so need longer than 7 day.

cheers!

make sure you can use that one in Alaska.      I would just double check that

during the pandemic I used a few different Sim's from Amazon through the TMobile network.  Now I just get them direct from Tmobile since I can cross the border now.  I pay $15US/month for 2.5gb data and talk/text (US only).

10 hours ago, broberts said:

I wasn't paying attention to the posters. OP wording gave me the distinct impression the poster had no experience with Amazon SIM offerings.

But the OP's response to you begs the question; can there anything other than a deliberate jerk? Is there a possibility someone could be an accidental jerk? Or an unsystematic jerk vs. a systematic jerk? 🤔 Questions to ponder on this glorious Sunday morning in the GTA. 😉

@Kate-in-Canada, I'm on Telus. Great network (it works), good customer service, but I don't use their international roaming plans. As for this one, I'll ask my two kids if they know. Those two are winging around the States and the world so much these days for pleasure and work that it's tough to figure out where they are at any one moment. I'll post their comments if either has any experience with the product. 

🤔

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, stefndoug said:

make sure you can use that one in Alaska.      I would just double check that

That’s part of what I’m trying to figure out. 
some of the other sims say they don’t even though use the mobile network….

this one doesn’t say yes or no…and I went through the reviews and couldn’t be sure…

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

@Kate-in-Canada, I'm on Telus. Great network (it works), good customer service, but I don't use their international roaming plans. As for this one, I'll ask my two kids if they know. Those two are winging around the States and the world so much these days for pleasure and work that it's tough to figure out where they are at any one moment. I'll post their comments if either has any experience with the product. 

🤔

I’m on Telus too.  But the roaming fee is too much for a 12 day vacation.

Travelling solo I need to use maps and be able to call hotel / tours etc. safety more than social media or random browsing. 

1 hour ago, Kate-in-Canada said:

this one doesn’t say yes or no…and I went through the reviews and couldn’t be sure…

Why not contact T-Mobile directly and ask them directly?

https://www.t-mobile.com/contact-us

Check out FONUS. I just bought the sim but havent used it yet. Its 15 USD for the sim and 30 US per month. Works off of ATT. You get 20 GB of data per month which is good for Can US and Mexico. You get free unlimited calling and texting in 50 countries plus you can either port your current number or use another selected one.

10 hours ago, Kate-in-Canada said:

problem with Alaska is there is only 1 provider and any of the other ones (like 
TMobile) have to run on their lines.  Depending on the plan is dependant on if it will work.  I have the TMobile Pay as you go plan for $15/month.  It only works on the TMobile network and does not work in Alaska.  Maybe look for a specific Alaska sim?  

11 hours ago, Kate-in-Canada said:

another option...buy a SIM when you get to the first port.  

On 7/10/2022 at 9:39 AM, LHT28 said:

I know you only want info on the Telus sim  but 

I got this sim for travel  they give  a UK  & US number

it never expires  so if you have a balance you can use  on a future trip or even at home

https://www.worldtravelsim.com/proddetail.asp?prod=World.Travel.SIM

I don’t need a Telus sim.  I just need one that works in alaska.  Have you used that one in alaska?

So update, after buying it, days after inquiring with company, I find out even though they said it runs on everywhere on the T-Mobile map in the product description, it won’t work in Alaska. Hopefully Amazon will let me send it back.

has anyone had any luck with getting SIM cards in the ports? I feel like tag may ne the only to know for sure they work in alaska is to buy in alaska.

13 minutes ago, Kate-in-Canada said:

I don’t need a Telus sim.  I just need one that works in alaska.  Have you used that one in alaska?

no sorry  just in Europe & the USA  ..States south of  Canada 

Maybe check the Alaska forum  some people  that live there  may know of one that works  there

On 7/9/2022 at 12:33 PM, Kate-in-Canada said:

I bought a European sim card from this seller on Amazon.ca this year, and the seller was fine.   

Used a T-Mobile sim card for data only in Alaska in 2018 -- purchased from another seller at the time. T-Mobile coverage was reliable and consistent in the ports of call  I visited. As for coverage in more remote areas that might be travelled to as part of land excursions,  I have no experience with that. 

53 minutes ago, Adventures ahead said:

For a short cruise in another country, we don't buy a SIM card.  We set up 'Roam Like Home' with Bell. It can be activated for any/multiple 24-hr period/s if you need to access your own data package. 

Bell, like most Canadian providers, has now moved away from using the 24 hour period to using a calendar day system. So if you turn on your phone and make a call a call at 6:00pm, your daily fee will only take you to 11:59pm that night. We used to fly into FLL in the afternoon and would pay for a 24 hour period, which would cover us from arrival at the airport to sail away the following afternoon. For the same coverage, we now have to pay for two days. At $15 a day for international roaming, it takes very little use before a SIM card becomes the cheaper option. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Bell, like most Canadian providers, has now moved away from using the 24 hour period to using a calendar day system. So if you turn on your phone and make a call a call at 6:00pm, your daily fee will only take you to 11:59pm that night. We used to fly into FLL in the afternoon and would pay for a 24 hour period, which would cover us from arrival at the airport to sail away the following afternoon. For the same coverage, we now have to pay for two days. At $15 a day for international roaming, it takes very little use before a SIM card becomes the cheaper option. 

Thanks. It’s been awhile since we’ve used it so wasn’t aware. A bit confusing with time changes in Europe. Will make sure I understand the coverage!
The ability to make calls is just for taxis and emergencies. We have no one at home we need to call unless an emergency arises and would be nervous without being able to make those calls. In that case, I guess the call would be priceless.

• Like 1