Royal stock question...

17 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Today my email for stockholders benefit bounced, twice. I emailed to stockholders@carnival.com as I have done for 2 cruises this year, March and May.  If people think this is still the correct email address I will try again tomorrow. Any suggestions?  Thanks, m—

Sorry folks, I posted on wrong forum. m—

3 hours ago, KATHYMAC68 said:

What’s the easiest way to go about purchasing them?

We just opened an account, transferred money into it and purchased when we felt the price was good.  You can set dollar amounts of what you want to purchase it at and dollar amounts on when you want to sell.  We now use TD Ameritrade:  https://www.tdameritrade.com/  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We just opened an account, transferred money into it and purchased when we felt the price was good.  You can set dollar amounts of what you want to purchase it at and dollar amounts on when you want to sell.  We now use TD Ameritrade:  https://www.tdameritrade.com/  

Thanks for that info!

18 minutes ago, KATHYMAC68 said:

Thanks for that info!

Check around for transaction fees. Some online brokers have zero commissions on stock purchases.

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/buying-stocks/landing/top-online-stock-brokers-for-your-investing-strategy/?publisher=ta-brok-co-adw-na-brokerage-2-na-na&campaign_group=596352112029&gclid=CjwKCAjwrNmWBhA4EiwAHbjEQJgHPqSFkqEy1wrm1A8y7YpN0H-_u07UxlxzJpyjYDsSappMAdD7wxoCFC8QAvD_BwE

Edited by Big_G
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 10:35 PM, LeeW said:

Had ten Celebrity and Royal cruises booked for the next year.  With prices in the mid-30th made sense to buy stock.  Didn't get confirmation of purchase before first of those cruises but was able to submit for the remaining nine.  In four days had confirmation of $900 worth of OBC.  Used retirement money that I wasn't spending anyway.  Now if the dividend ever come back will have stock paid for in a couple of years.  Maybe three if only OBC.

I am no expert but my experience of owning 100 RCCI shares to date is:

Cost:💲2200

OBC : 💲4600

Dividends:💲1200

Current share value:💲3800

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

I am no expert but my experience of owning 100 RCCI shares to date is:

Cost:💲2200

OBC : 💲4600

Dividends:💲1200

Current share value:💲3800

This doesn’t tell me much as far how well you made out. How long have you had them, they haven’t paid dividends in going on two years. Last payment rate was $3.16 per share so about $316 per year for 100 shares. That computes to owning it nine years, seven with dividends and two without. That means you had them when it hit it’s all time high of $136 which made it worth $13,600 compared to $3,800 now. If you bought it for the obc it turned out ok for you, if you bought it to make money, you held it way too long.

6 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

This doesn’t tell me much as far how well you made out. How long have you had them, they haven’t paid dividends in going on two years. Last payment rate was $3.16 per share so about $316 per year for 100 shares. That computes to owning it nine years, seven with dividends and two without. That means you had them when it hit it’s all time high of $136 which made it worth $13,600 compared to $3,800 now. If you bought it for the obc it turned out ok for you, if you bought it to make money, you held it way too long.

Bought for the OBC. Covid has temporarily stopped the Divi. Yes we could have sold at 136 but no-one was forcasting Covid at that time, nor that cruiseing would stop for nearly 2 years. Hindsight is wonderful. We have more cruises booked so more OBC to come. Will sell when we stop cruising. I just posted our experience not a recommend to buy or sell.

8 hours ago, the penguins said:

Bought for the OBC. Covid has temporarily stopped the Divi. Yes we could have sold at 136 but no-one was forcasting Covid at that time, nor that cruiseing would stop for nearly 2 years. Hindsight is wonderful. We have more cruises booked so more OBC to come. Will sell when we stop cruising. I just posted our experience not a recommend to buy or sell.

You bought for the obc, it’s your money to do with whatever you want, but when faced with a huge gain it would have been prudent to reevaluate your situation. The $10,000%+ profit could have more than made up for not getting the obc for several years. Besides, you could always buy it back when it drops.

I’ve been in the stock market for 35+ years, with one goal in mind, make money, and have exceeded my wildest dreams with the results, so it brings tears to my eyes when I come across chances missed like this. I’ve made the mistake of selling too early but in most cases there was a nice profit involved.

This is not a recommendation of as sort, just a personal opinion.

Enjoy your obc and cruise your heart out.

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

You bought for the obc, it’s your money to do with whatever you want, but when faced with a huge gain it would have been prudent to reevaluate your situation. The $10,000%+ profit could have more than made up for not getting the obc for several years. Besides, you could always buy it back when it drops.

I’ve been in the stock market for 35+ years, with one goal in mind, make money, and have exceeded my wildest dreams with the results, so it brings tears to my eyes when I come across chances missed like this. I’ve made the mistake of selling too early but in most cases there was a nice profit involved.

This is not a recommendation of as sort, just a personal opinion.

Enjoy your obc and cruise your heart out.

We will. However everything you said is based on hindsight. Until Covid neither the price nor the dividend had ever dropped. Whatever price we had sold at we would have had to pay more to buy them back for the next cruise. Enjoy your cruises.

57 minutes ago, the penguins said:

We will. However everything you said is based on hindsight. Until Covid neither the price nor the dividend had ever dropped. Whatever price we had sold at we would have had to pay more to buy them back for the next cruise. Enjoy your cruises.

It’s not based on hindsight it’s based on knowing when to take a big profit when you have a chance. Every time I buy a stock, I have an exit strategy. When it goes up, I put a stop loss order in to preserve some of the gains. I also have a target price to sell, but don’t put a sell order in until I think it’s getting ready to peak. As it gets closer to the target price I reevaluate the potential of the stock and if I think it will continue to rise, I’ll adjust the target to sell. I’m somewhat covered both ways up or down.

So, if you would have sold near the top, and took the $10,000 profit, you would immediately by the stock back to get the $100 - $200 obc? Why don’t just use the money from your stock sale and let the remaining money grow. At $200 a cruise, the profit would cover you for 50 cruises before it’s gone, if you aren’t making any money on interest or anything.

Whatever floats your boat.

Bye.

42 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

It’s not based on hindsight it’s based on knowing when to take a big profit when you have a chance. Every time I buy a stock, I have an exit strategy. When it goes up, I put a stop loss order in to preserve some of the gains. I also have a target price to sell, but don’t put a sell order in until I think it’s getting ready to peak. As it gets closer to the target price I reevaluate the potential of the stock and if I think it will continue to rise, I’ll adjust the target to sell. I’m somewhat covered both ways up or down.

So, if you would have sold near the top, and took the $10,000 profit, you would immediately by the stock back to get the $100 - $200 obc? Why don’t just use the money from your stock sale and let the remaining money grow. At $200 a cruise, the profit would cover you for 50 cruises before it’s gone, if you aren’t making any money on interest or anything.

Bye.

A lot of what you say makes sense but how come you don't have to pay taxes on your gains?

10 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Bye.

I love your strategy and it's right. My entire portfolio of single company shares is 100 Royal, bought and basically ignored except for applying for OBC. The dividends have been spent on our grandson when we visit him in Dallas (we live in the UK). The shares have also been left to our grandson in our wills. Perhaps it's why our American friends call us the Crazy Brits. Keep cruising.

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

I love your strategy and it's right. My entire portfolio of single company shares is 100 Royal, bought and basically ignored except for applying for OBC. The dividends have been spent on our grandson when we visit him in Dallas (we live in the UK). The shares have also been left to our grandson in our wills. Perhaps it's why our American friends call us the Crazy Brits. Keep cruising.

Can you get the credit on UK booked cruises then?  or do they have to be booked with an American travel agent?

1 minute ago, gavvy said:

Can you get the credit on UK booked cruises then?  or do they have to be booked with an American travel agent?

Applies wherever you book and through whoever you book with. You apply direct on line with booking ref, sail date, ship, name, and proof of share ownership. Very straightforward and we have never had a request refused even when we did the Opera cruise on Reflection out of Southampton which was technically a charter.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, the penguins said:

Applies wherever you book and through whoever you book with. You apply direct on line with booking ref, sail date, ship, name, and proof of share ownership. Very straightforward and we have never had a request refused even when we did the Opera cruise on Reflection out of Southampton which was technically a charter.

Sorry meant to add applies to sailings on Royal, Celebrity and Silversea.