Harry's at the Waterfront?

Weeziblu

My husband and I are sailing to Bermuda for the first time in September to celebrate our 30th anniversary.  I've been reading all of the reviews at Trip Advisor and I think we're settled on Harry's.  If anyone has any experience, reviews or opinions to offer, we would really appreciate it!

6 hours ago, Weeziblu said:

If anyone has any experience, reviews or opinions to offer, we would really appreciate it!

This is one of those things that we're venturing into subjective territory but as a fellow Philadelphian I felt the needed to respond. 

Harry's is ok. It's a very corporate/chain steakhouse feel. There are better places on the island for a meal. Would be comparable to a Capital Grille back home-- they're not bad but there are usually better options. At least thats been our experience the two times we've been there over the years. 

It's a shame but Marcus Samuelson's restaurant, in the nearly adjacent Hamilton Princess, was better food than Harry's and a far more lively and enjoyable atmosphere. It was announced not too long ago that it wasn't reopening. 

In Hamilton itself I would personally pick Port o Call first-- its much more of a locals spot. I'm not sure if Waterlot Inn reopened (it wasn't when we were there during covid earlier in the pandemic, but others might know now) but that's also a favorite for steaks. Sul Verde at the Rosewood is very nice for high end Italian. I miss their formal dining room The Point which was renovated out of existence a few years ago-- but they still have the murals commissioned for Pan Am's offices on the walls in whats now known as The Brasserie which is also quite good. 

Harry's isn't bad, but it just feels like you could be anywhere. 

37 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I'm not sure if Waterlot Inn reopened (it wasn't when we were there during covid earlier in the pandemic, but others might know now)

It's closed, and who knows what its future will be with the Southampton Princess presumably undergoing a massive renovation with an unknown completion date.

I haven't eaten there in years, but it was certainly a top notch restaurant in the past.

12 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Harry's is ok. It's a very corporate/chain steakhouse feel. There are better places on the island for a meal. Would be comparable to a Capital Grille back home-- they're not bad but there are usually better options. At least thats been our experience the two times we've been there over the years. 

Funny I have the same opinion as you about Capital Grill and just had a discussion about that  with some neighbors who love Capital Grill. So it is subjective.  

I have never been to the Lobster Pot in Hamilton but it has been getting great reviews.  

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

This is one of those things that we're venturing into subjective territory but as a fellow Philadelphian I felt the needed to respond. 

It's a shame but Marcus Samuelson's restaurant, in the nearly adjacent Hamilton Princess, was better food than Harry's and a far more lively and enjoyable atmosphere. It was announced not too long ago that it wasn't reopening. 

In Hamilton itself I would personally pick Port o Call first-- its much more of a locals spot. I'm not sure if Waterlot Inn reopened (it wasn't when we were there during covid earlier in the pandemic, but others might know now) but that's also a favorite for steaks. Sul Verde at the Rosewood is very nice for high end Italian. I miss their formal dining room The Point which was renovated out of existence a few years ago-- but they still have the murals commissioned for Pan Am's offices on the walls in whats now known as The Brasserie which is also quite good. 

Harry's isn't bad, but it just feels like you could be anywhere. 

Thank you!  This is very helpful and appreciated!  I had been looking at Marcus Samuelson's restaurant and sad to see that it would not be reopening.  

Any thoughts or experience with 1609 Bar & Restaurant?

Edited by Weeziblu

1 hour ago, Weeziblu said:

Any thoughts or experience with 1609 Bar & Restaurant?

Its very good-- but it is more casual and laid back than Harry's (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Its difficult to beat their views and the very open air concept which is nice. Food at the Fairmont for the most part is excellent and and very consistent. 

Marcus' would have been the perfect alternative. Having been to both a few times I would do 1609 if it were between that and Harry's, but if you are celebrating one, Harry's will be the more "special occasion" place of the two. 

11 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Its very good-- but it is more casual and laid back than Harry's (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Its difficult to beat their views and the very open air concept which is nice. Food at the Fairmont for the most part is excellent and and very consistent. 

Marcus' would have been the perfect alternative. Having been to both a few times I would do 1609 if it were between that and Harry's, but if you are celebrating one, Harry's will be the more "special occasion" place of the two. 

I've looked at Port O Call on Trip Advisor and it looks wonderful - thanks for the recommendation.  It's going to be hard to choose.  Thankfully we'll be in port for a couple of days and could potentially try more than one!