Are tests with CVS Pharmacy acceptable to board in Brooklyn?

ace2542

I have been looking online and it doesn't seem like their test results show passport number. But there is one at the Corner of 34th and 8th right by Penn Station. Perfect for us.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks guys.

We had our COVID tests for our last two voyages at CVS. You are correct that a passport number does not appear on the results (not many US citizens have passports). But I don't think a passport number needs to be included. There's a document somewhere on the Cunard website that specifies what must appear. I can't find that now, but as I recall, it included name, date of birth, date of the test, test type, results, etc.

Found the document. DOB is sufficient -

• Guest’s name and either date of birth, age, or passport number.

Two caveats: 

Only a few CVS stores do walk in testing. Especially for rapid tests. You can try scheduling a dummy test to see where you'd be able to book and see if your store is one of them.

If insurance is not covering the test, I believe the cost to you is MUCH higher than the clinics specifically set up to do COVID testing.

Edited by frankp01
To add Cunard wording

19 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

We had our COVID tests for our last two voyages at CVS. You are correct that a passport number does not appear on the results (not many US citizens have passports). But I don't think a passport number needs to be included. There's a document somewhere on the Cunard website that specifies what must appear. I can't find that now, but as I recall, it included name, date of birth, date of the test, test type, results, etc.

Two caveats: 

Only a few CVS stores do walk in testing. Especially for rapid tests. You can try scheduling a dummy test to see where you'd be able to book and see if your store is one of them.

If insurance is not covering the test, I believe the cost to you is MUCH higher than the clinics specifically set up to do COVID testing.

I found an image of a CVS test on google and no passport number is mentioned though the name would have to be name as it appears on the passport so middle name would have to be included.

We will not be claiming against insurance for our tests. I don't think we can claim. I actually never thought about it.

1 hour ago, frankp01 said:

Only a few CVS stores do walk in testing. Especially for rapid tests

Can  you wait around for the results of the test or come back later and retrive them? I am concerned about losing access to my email perhaps?

24 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Can  you wait around for the results

The first test we had was when testing was relatively new. The test was done in a small booth in the middle of the store's car park. There was nowhere to wait for the results, which arrived as a text in about 15 minutes. For the second test, which was now done in an existing CVS wellness clinic, we actually had to wait for the results before we were allowed to go.

For the first test, we had to retrieve the results and print them out ourselves. For the second test we were handed a printout of all the results of our visit. That included blood pressure and the other usual results from a quick physical.

Edited by frankp01

The last time I had my covid test for cruising done at CVS, it did not have the information needed by the cruise line.  I did a proctored test using one of the free test I had, it was so much easier and less stress than going to the store.  The test was $10.00 and I had the results in 15 minutes and my documents in about 30 minutes.

2 hours ago, frankp01 said:

The first test we had was when testing was relatively new. The test was done in a small booth in the middle of the store's car park. There was nowhere to wait for the results, which arrived as a text in about 15 minutes. For the second test, which was now done in an existing CVS wellness clinic, we actually had to wait for the results before we were allowed to go.

For the first test, we had to retrieve the results and print them out ourselves. For the second test we were handed a printout of all the results of our visit. That included blood pressure and the other usual results from a quick physical.

Text wont work for us with UK prepaid"burner" or track" type phones. You knows the ones James Spader uses on the blacklist. They are the kind we have. We don't have the I Phones.

I would be more than happy to go back and get the printouts myself if needed

1 hour ago, shippmates said:

The last time I had my covid test for cruising done at CVS, it did not have the information needed by the cruise line.  I did a proctored test using one of the free test I had, it was so much easier and less stress than going to the store.  The test was $10.00 and I had the results in 15 minutes and my documents in about 30 minutes.

Why did not have the information needed? I thought they had the name, dob, testing address, testers name etc?

As a Brit when I looked into this CVS wouldn’t test none US citizens.  When in transit last Friday off QM-2 I saw lots of pop-up ‘free’ antigen test centres with certificates on street corners.  They told me they don’t test non-US citizens.

10 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

As a Brit when I looked into this CVS wouldn’t test none US citizens.  When in transit last Friday off QM-2 I saw lots of pop-up ‘free’ antigen test centres with certificates on street corners.  They told me they don’t test non-US citizens.

Probably because they where free back then. They are charging 130 a pop now aren't they as free testing ended didn't it?

I do believe that the 'free' test places won't process non-US citizens because they're only set up to bill the government. There are clinics that will test non-US folks, and they'll bill you directly instead. Since the ones I'm familiar with aren't in canopies on the pavement, they strike me as being just a bit more legitimate than the 'free' ones, in any case. One chain is affiliated with a New York hospital They won't let you pre-book (because they can't handle an international phone number), but they will take walk-ins. The other is a location that a British friend of ours used when returning to the UK in December.

Northwell Health:  PCR & COVID-19 Testing in New York | GoHealth Urgent Care (gohealthuc.com)

Bloom Labs: COVID-19 PCR & Rapid Antigen Tests in Midtown Manhattan (bloomlabs.co)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

Ace2542.  Free testing was still in existence last Friday when I enquired.

That is then. I just sent a message they replied we could do just by walking in. Could you claim the testing cost back against UK travel insurance do you think? Until it was mentioned here I had never even considered it.

2 hours ago, shippmates said:

What test did you use?  How did the proctoring process go?  Thanks.

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Why did not have the information needed? I thought they had the name, dob, testing address, testers name etc?

The results needed to have the CLIA # and other information regarding the lab that was used to process the test.  The only thing the paper showed was my name, birthdate, negative results, store address.

14 hours ago, shippmates said:

The results needed to have the CLIA # and other information regarding the lab that was used to process the test.  The only thing the paper showed was my name, birthdate, negative results, store address.

But a walk in test done to you by a person would not have that problem would it?

On 7/13/2022 at 10:50 AM, frankp01 said:

Two caveats: 

Did you a walk in test or a test booked the store. As in you booked to attend the store and be tested by a person? And that test was accepted? I am sorry if sound simple in asking this question and thanks for your reply.

I used the CVS website to locate a store with a clinic that offered rapid tests and specifically booked the test. As I recall, rapid tests could only be booked 3 days out, and were offered at a very limited number of stores  And, I suspect you can probably only book in advance if you have a North American phone number. But that's just a suspicion. We were tested at CVS in December for boarding a uk-bound flight, and in July for boarding the QM2 in Brooklyn. Both tests were accepted for their intended purposes.

If you can't access the CvS website, for some reason, if you have a specific location in mind I can try and find if they do rapid tests and accept non-US walk-ins.

On 7/13/2022 at 4:14 AM, ace2542 said:

there is one at the Corner of 34th and 8th right by Penn Station.

I just checked. That location does not do in-store testing. Nor do the other 2 or 3 stores closest to Penn Station.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

We were tested at CVS in December for boarding a uk-bound flight, and in July for boarding the QM2 in Brooklyn. Both tests were accepted for their intended purposes.

I have looked on line and there are CVS test results on the google images page with a big block of test and advice after the negative or postive results. They look pretty comprehensive to me

35 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

f you can't access the CvS website, for some reason, if you have a specific location in mind I can try and find if they do rapid tests and accept non-US walk-ins

Thanks. Did you use a store in NYC or did you use on in Philly? We are blocked by GDPR I think in UK but I am sure the hotel would be able to assist or I can my computer to get round the IP blocking.

Bloom Labs do bookings for Brits, and you can book online which is what i have done. 

However, one thing to watch out for, and not sure if it is a problem at my end, the times that you are given are UK times, not NYC times. So i booked for 1430 on the website, not realising until they sent the confirmation through that it was actually booked for 0930. 

Went back in and booked 1815, and came back as 1315 confirmation. 

Also - i have asked before but testing anytime on Wednesday for a Friday departure is fine still? 

Edited by SJS85

15 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Did you use a store in NYC or did you use on in Philly

They were both in Philadelphia. For the most recent trip, in July, because I was in NYC for a few days before boarding, I considered getting tested in NY. I opted, instead, to get tested at home, because I found a location very close to home.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on the testing locations known to accommodate non-US travellers.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SJS85 said:

Bloom Labs do bookings for Brits, and you can book online which is what i have done. 

However, one thing to watch out for, and not sure if it is a problem at my end, the times that you are given are UK times, not NYC times. So i booked for 1430 on the website, not realising until they sent the confirmation through that it was actually booked for 0930. 

Went back in and booked 1815, and came back as 1315 confirmation. 

Also - i have asked before but testing anytime on Wednesday for a Friday departure is fine still? 

Yes it is stil 2 days I think so wed for friday or friday for sunday is acceptable unless someone knows differently

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2022 at 12:40 PM, frankp01 said:

They were both in Philadelphia. For the most recent trip, in July, because I was in NYC for a few days before boarding, I considered getting tested in NY. I opted, instead, to get tested at home, because I found a location very close to home.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on the testing locations known to accommodate non-US travellers.

So I  am going to make the booking with CVS for the tests. I have looked and found images online of negative and positive results with test type names on the test etc. Are they the type of results we will. The test type says "mesa accula sars cov-2 RT PCR.  Is that the correct test? You can see the images for yourself on google images.