Euros for Italy - Where is the best place(s) to get it.

Porkpi

If using an ATM, google “biggest banks in Italy” so you can tell the difference between a real bank ATM and an independent that may overcharge.  

• Like 2

We try to use credit cards that doesn't charge the foreign currency conversion fee (2.5% for most banks, and for Amex they convert to USD first then to CAD) when abroad.

If needing to get foreign cash, we go to a local currency exchange shop.  We live in Toronto, and there are at least a dozen such exchange places within 10 minutes drive, and a few within walking distance.  The lines at those FX shops are always shorten than lines at banks.  There are also currencies the banks don't carry, so it is those FX shops.  Oh, with many of those FX shops you can check for their rates online before going.

If we are taking a longer trip and going to several countries using different currencies, we'd get a bunch of crisp new US$100 bills, and use those for exchanges in those countries.  Would need to do some research on what's the best place to exchange in those countries, and sometimes hiring a driver who knows, will help.

9 hours ago, Middleager said:

We try to use credit cards that doesn't charge the foreign currency conversion fee (2.5% for most banks, and for Amex they convert to USD first then to CAD) when abroad.

If needing to get foreign cash, we go to a local currency exchange shop.  We live in Toronto, and there are at least a dozen such exchange places within 10 minutes drive, and a few within walking distance.  The lines at those FX shops are always shorten than lines at banks.  There are also currencies the banks don't carry, so it is those FX shops.  Oh, with many of those FX shops you can check for their rates online before going.

If we are taking a longer trip and going to several countries using different currencies, we'd get a bunch of crisp new US$100 bills, and use those for exchanges in those countries.  Would need to do some research on what's the best place to exchange in those countries, and sometimes hiring a driver who knows, will help.

You can order different currencies online from CIBC ( other banks are probably the same )and have delivered to house so why wait in line 🤔😁

https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-banking/international/exchange-currency-online.html#:~:text=Here's how to order%3A,up at any banking centre

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

You can order different currencies online from CIBC ( other banks are probably the same )and have delivered to house so why wait in line 🤔😁

https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-banking/international/exchange-currency-online.html#:~:text=Here's how to order%3A,up at any banking centre

What if you don't have a CIBC account?

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

What if you don't have a CIBC account?

As I wrote I am pretty sure other banks will do the same, I believe we have order from TD before we closed that account 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

As I wrote I am pretty sure other banks will do the same, I believe we have order from TD before we closed that account 

No doubt. I use a foreign currency exchange outlet nearby me (in Ottawa) that can provide me with just about anything with 24 hours notice; the exchange rate is at least 2% less than my local bank (which does not mail/deliver cash).  So, since I have to go somewhere to get my foreign currency, I usually avoid the bank(s).

I do understand that many travelers don't have these available choices.

Edited by d9704011

25 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

No doubt. I use a foreign currency exchange outlet nearby me (in Ottawa) that can provide me with just about anything with 24 hours notice; the exchange rate is at least 2% less than my local bank (which does not mail/deliver cash).  So, since I have to go somewhere to get my foreign currency, I usually avoid the bank(s).

Nothing close to me, and I wouldn’t want to go to a Money Mart 🤣

IMG_7305.jpeg

5 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I don't like to pay more for CIBC or bank rates, while the FX shops offer better rates.  And banks don't carry that many currencies (try South Africa, Jordan, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc.)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

Which currency exchange outlet do you use? The one that I used pre-covid is no longer in business, and our travel since then hasn't required getting any foreign cash in advance. But we will need some early next year, and your outlet might be a good choice.

21 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Which currency exchange outlet do you use? The one that I used pre-covid is no longer in business, and our travel since then hasn't required getting any foreign cash in advance. But we will need some early next year, and your outlet might be a good choice.

I’m not who you asked this of, but I have been happy with Calforex, with a number of offices across Canada. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I use the Ultimate Currency Exchange (east end at Gloucester Centre).  Here is their website:

https://uexchange.ca/

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I’m not who you asked this of, but I have been happy with Calforex, with a number of offices across Canada. 

9 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I use the Ultimate Currency Exchange (east end at Gloucester Centre).  Here is their website:

https://uexchange.ca/

Thank you both. I'll have to compare their rates, but the Gloucester Centre is much closer and easier to access than the Rideau Centre where Calforex is situated.