Tipping extra cash in MDR

weltek

Don't forget the people who you wouldn't normally tip, but they gave great service. For example, the "washy washy" lady at the entrance to the buffet. They stand there smiling, practically forcing you to get the hand washing, but, if anything, get only a smile or a frown. How about smile and give them a tip?

How about having some bucks to spread around. I tipped the the cleaning lady in the public restroom. She looked confused when I offered it to her, but a thank you brought her around to taking the dollar. I'll remember that bright smile forever.

Other housekeepers working in public areas wouldn't mind a buck passed their way. We "rich" cruisers need to remember that the crew is largely from very poor countries. Even a dollar is a big deal. And if it's a big deal to them, it should be a big deal to you. Be kind. Put yourself in their place. I've worked service when I was in college and a good tip really made my day, and possibly something nice for dinner.

Edited by IMNOFUN
Add info
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Are you against the concept of giving people compensation related to their performance? 

I don’t believe that voluntary tipping is a good way of doing this. 

30 minutes ago, IMNOFUN said:

She looked confused when I offered it to her, but a thank you brought her around to taking the dollar. I'll remember that bright smile forever.

A similar experience had by me.  On a long cruise, I liked to linger on my cushioned deck chair and often stayed after the Deck Steward had collected the cushions, but, never asked me to move.  He had to return to get my cushion.  On the last afternoon/early evening of the cruise, as he was doing his job, I got off my chair and gave him a nice gratuity.  He was very surprised and the look on his face and gratitude has never been forgotten by me.  

23 hours ago, ldubs said:

But I do like the current process so much better.  I remember Mrs Ldubs setting aside the combinations of  bills to make sure we had the right amounts for each envelope (envelopes and stacks of bills spread all over the bed, Haha).   And, I hope the staff like it more too, because we leave more than the recommended amount under the current system.  Before I don't remember leaving an additional amount.  Now, with pre-paid grats we typically leave envelopes with additional amounts at the end of the cruise for the cabin and dining staff.  

I 'm just not sure I like how the cruise line is manipulating how the grats are being distributed to staff.   I understand a portion of the gratuities going to the folks in the background, but other than that I'm in the camp that my tip is for the individual, not the corporate bonus pool.  What the individual wants to do with it is up to them.   

I could have written your post myself.  

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

What happened is mostly the result of mass market industry change from Fixed Dining to open dining and lots of alternative restaurant venues. 

Of course, this as well as the advent of the cabin steward teams.  

12 hours ago, Billish said:

Which is what various UK lines do (Saga, P&O,  Marella etc) although gratuuties are not exactly "outlawed".

Nice not to have all the angst that so many American cruisers have about who to tip, when to tip, how much to tip etc. 

HAL tried the "No Tipping Required" route as they became a solely cruise line; didn't stick.  People still tipped.  

28 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

HAL tried the "No Tipping Required" route as they became a solely cruise line; didn't stick.  People still tipped.  

I truly hated this system and thought HAL was disingenuous.   Saying "No tipping required" was ridiculous since in those days tipping was never "required" on any ship.  Folks were expected to ship, the cruise lines (including HAL) issued written "tipping guidelines" and envelopes were generally left in the cabin near the end of the cruise (even HAL did this).   

This is completely different than lines that have a no tipping policy.  When we started taking some cruises on luxury lines with a no tipping policy it took a little time to get used to the idea of not leaving tips for certain crew members.    By the way, you might want to ask yourself "when is a tip not a tip" and the short answer is when it is required (which means it is a fee).

Hank

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I truly hated this system and thought HAL was disingenuous.   Saying "No tipping required" was ridiculous since in those days tipping was never "required" on any ship.

Because I was aware of the tipping practices in the years before I began cruising and during my beginning years, I ignored, what I considered, was an advertising gimmick.  HAL was trying to increase their foothold into the cruising market that was being established by Royal Caribbean, Home Lines, Flagship Cruises, Norwegian Caribbean Lines, etc.  No tipping required was a way to try to distinguish HAL from the others.  

59 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Because I was aware of the tipping practices in the years before I began cruising and during my beginning years, I ignored, what I considered, was an advertising gimmick.  HAL was trying to increase their foothold into the cruising market that was being established by Royal Caribbean, Home Lines, Flagship Cruises, Norwegian Caribbean Lines, etc.  No tipping required was a way to try to distinguish HAL from the others.  

My first HAL cruise was in the Baltic on the old Maasdam.  The first show on the first night was headlined by some comedian who started his show with "welcome aboard to all the seniors and their parents!"  That did get a laugh from the few dozen folks still awake for the late show (must have been at least 9pm) and forever defined HAL in my little ole mind.   But our real liking of HAL happened the first time we cruised on the Prinsendam (we had exactly 200 days on that ship when she left the fleet).

Hank

36 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The first show on the first night was headlined by some comedian who started his show with "welcome aboard to all the seniors and their parents!" 

I hope to god there was a drummer to give an appropriate badumtiss. That joke needs it. Sadly, that’s still how a ton of people see HAL. I have a hard time seeing the brand survive, at least not under Carnival. Why do you need both them and Princess. 

1 minute ago, wcook said:

I hope to god there was a drummer to give an appropriate badumtiss. That joke needs it. Sadly, that’s still how a ton of people see HAL. I have a hard time seeing the brand survive, at least not under Carnival. Why do you need both them and Princess. 

I think HAL is somewhat like two different lines.  There are the longer exotic itineraries for which HAL has long had a great reputation and those cruises do tend to attract the Seniors (me) and their parents!  But there are also the shorter cruises (such as in the Caribbean and Alaska) which attract a somewhat younger clientele.  We once tried a short (back to back 7 day cruises) in the Caribbean on HAL and swore we would never take a shorter cruise on the line.  Sitting at the pool deck on a nice Caribbean day and listening to a so-so band play Glenn Miller's "In the Mood" convinced me that HAL was not what we wanted in the Caribbean (where were the steel drums and Bob Marley?).    On the other hand, we have loved HAL when we did the Voyage of the Vikings, a long Pacific Ocean crossing, etc.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

But our real liking of HAL happened the first time we cruised on the Prinsendam (we had exactly 200 days on that ship when she left the fleet).

She was special.  My traveling companion and I sailed on a Christmas and New Year's Cruise aboard Prinsendam.  It was an excellent cruise and provided a variety of cruise memories that are different from others.  Positively different than other holiday cruises on which I have sailed.  I'll admit that my previous long ago experience with two other sailings on Royal Viking Line ships and Prinsendam's connection with RVL probably colors my memory.  But, regarding Prinsendam, the quality was there.  Prinsendam surely had her quirks.  And, I have wondered about those since she was originally a RVL designed/built vessel.  Is it those quirks that help to endear her in our memory?  

33 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

On the other hand, we have loved HAL when we did the Voyage of the Vikings, a long Pacific Ocean crossing, etc.

HAL has excelled when sailing these kinds of itineraries.  

5 hours ago, wcook said:

I don’t believe that voluntary tipping is a good way of doing this. 

As opposed to involuntary tipping????????

Can you suggest a better way to appropriately reward those who go out of their way to provide those personal services --WHICH, IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT, ARE A SIGNIFICANT PART OF WHAT MAKES CRUISING ENJOYABLE.

• Like 1