San Francisco suggestions.

groundloop

We'll be on Carnival out of San Francisco in September.  Planning to spend the night in San Francisco after the cruise gets back so we can enjoy the city the next day - I'm probably going to book a tour to Alcatraz and then see what else we have time for.

I'm looking for suggestions for an affordable hotel not too far from the port, and it would be nice if we could drop our luggage and have the hotel hold it for us (I'm assuming we won't be able to check-in until quite a while after we get off the ship).  As a last resort does anyone have experience with one of the luggage storage places in the area.

Also, any suggestions for things to do before the cruise?  I've bought tickets to a Giants game for the day before the cruise that'll start at 12:45 so we might have a bit of time that evening to do something.

Everyone has their own idea of "affordable" and affordable in San Francisco is very different from affordable in Stockton. A dollar amount for your budget would help. So would the day you need the room. SF's convention calendar isn't what it  once was,  but September is still a busy month.

Personally I find Alcatraz boring, especially with so much more in the City.

The night after the game, consider dinner at Tadich Grill. It opened in 1849 and is the oldest restaurant in CA.

Before the cruise we'll be arriving the evening of Sept 13, not planning on doing much of anything that night.  We'll be at the Giants game the next afternoon (Sept. 14) and the cruise departs Sept. 15.

We'll be getting off the ship Sept. 30 (a Friday), so will have most of that day to sightsee.

I've glanced at hotel prices on google and yeah, they seem kind of high compared to what I'm used to, but if I could get something for not too much over $200 it'd be great.

And thanks for the suggestion, I'll look up Tadich Grill.

50 minutes ago, marden1970 said:

I agree with CruiserBruce, I would also book the first trip over in the morning.  Less crowded  unitl the next ferry arrives. You can stay as long as you want; the ferries go back and forth all day.

I'm leery of booking something too early just in case there's a delay in getting off the cruise.

Are there hotels close to the cruise dock?   Where you can look out your window and see the ship in port?  Or are most of the hotel chains closer to Fishermans Wharf?

4 hours ago, waltd said:

Are there hotels close to the cruise dock?   Where you can look out your window and see the ship in port?  Or are most of the hotel chains closer to Fishermans Wharf?

There are no hotels like in San Diego where you are literally directly across the street.

On 7/23/2022 at 9:56 AM, waltd said:

On 7/23/2022 at 2:17 PM, scottca075 said:

There are no hotels like in San Diego where you are literally directly across the street.

Some say San Francisco will flip red before anything bigger or taller than what's there now can be built. The folks on Telegraph Hill want to keep their multi-million dollar views.