Heathrow to Southampton

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find  the thread.  Because of cancellations and late arrivals by air we plan on flying in a day or two before the British Isles Cruise.  There will be 5 of us and I would like some choices on the best and easiest way to get from Heathrow to a hotel in Southampton.  I would especially like an estimate of the prices and choices:  bus versus train versus shuttle or car.  I'm 86 so I'm looking for the easiest way to travel.

I know this is a lot to ask but cruisers have always been helpful.

Thanks, Lynn

I'm cruising out of Southampton in November on Emerald Princess for the Transatlantic cruise and have been looking into this same issue and this is what I've found.  National Express is a bus company with a station at Heathrow that appears to be a 10-20 minute walk from Terminals 2 and 3.  (The walk  is inside with moving walkways in sections).  There are YouTube videos showing what the walk is like.  Just search with language similar to "Heathrow Coach Station from Terminal 2 or 3".  The tickets I've seen range between 16 pounds ($19 US) and 25 pounds (about $30 US).  The bus ride is 2 hours.  There are many departure times to choose from and you can buy your ticket online.  The link is https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/airports/heathrow.  I bought a ticket for 21.5 pounds (and then paid an additional 2 pounds to reserve a specific seat and 5 pounds to be able to catch an earlier or later bus if I needed to).

I looked into going by train but my understanding is that you have take a bus or the Tube to the the train station that would get you to Southampton and that the cost was more than the bus.  Seemed like a lot of work and effort after being on a plane for a long time.

The British Isles/Western Europe has a great thread with a discussion on this very topic.  The link to that topic is: 

I might change my mind and book a transfer with Twelve Transfers which would be about about 145 pounds for a car that holds 3.  I looked at their price for a van that would hold your group and it was 188 pounds (about $225 US).  The British Isles link above has multiple suggestions for companies that provide transfers to Southampton.

Edited by kgillespie5
typos
  • Like 1

As above National Express is a cheap, reliable and guaranteed direct way to get to Southampton from Heathrow. Just pay the extra £5 to ensure flexibility. Prices are between £11 - £20 each way. The coach station is close to the port, shops and surrounding hotels and actually bang in the city centre. 

Train prices are ludicrous here and you'd need to change as nothing is direct but if you're tempted use this site https://www.thetrainline.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gunnywife said:

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find  the thread.  Because of cancellations and late arrivals by air we plan on flying in a day or two before the British Isles Cruise.  There will be 5 of us and I would like some choices on the best and easiest way to get from Heathrow to a hotel in Southampton.  I would especially like an estimate of the prices and choices:  bus versus train versus shuttle or car.  I'm 86 so I'm looking for the easiest way to travel.

Thanks, Lynn

This is also a very helpful website.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_southampton.htm

• Like 2

We’re using London Heathrow Cars.  Nice, private Mercedes sedan very reasonably priced and reliable.  The driver waits in the terminal with a sign, no walking around or getting lost.  The monitor your flights for arrival times.  I love getting off a seven hour flight and then getting to relax in comfort for the hour and a half it takes to get to Southampton.  The last thing I want is to ride in a bus or train or a van full of people.  Really not that expensive to be comfortable.

• Like 3

On 7/17/2022 at 7:38 PM, Lady Arwen said:

We’re using London Heathrow Cars.  Nice, private Mercedes sedan very reasonably priced and reliable.  The driver waits in the terminal with a sign, no walking around or getting lost.  The monitor your flights for arrival times.  I love getting off a seven hour flight and then getting to relax in comfort for the hour and a half it takes to get to Southampton.  The last thing I want is to ride in a bus or train or a van full of people.  Really not that expensive to be comfortable.

Thank you for that tip.  We don't sail until September of 2023 and I already had anxiety about finding the right bus/train.  Sounds like something we need to really consider!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, durangokid said:

Thank you for that tip.  We don't sail until September of 2023 and I already had anxiety about finding the right bus/train.  Sounds like something we need to really consider!

We’re also cruising British Isles September 5, 2023 on Regal Princess.  What’s your sail date?  Yes, much less stressful to be picked up at the airport right at the exit door.  I also need time to relax comfortably after a long flight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

We’re also cruising British Isles September 5, 2023 on Regal Princess.  What’s your sail date?  Yes, much less stressful to be picked up at the airport right at the exit door.  I also need time to relax comfortably after a long flight.

Also September 5.  🙂    Way too far out to get anxiety over this, but there you have it.  We live out in the country so using public transportation is very far out of our wheelhouse!  

Just now, durangokid said:

Also September 5.  🙂    Way too far out to get anxiety over this, but there you have it.  We live out in the country so using public transportation is very far out of our wheelhouse!  

We retired to the country 10 years ago and we have no public transportation at all, so I know what you mean. My issue is getting off of a plane after seven hours and then having to face a bus ride for at least 1.5 hours.  No thanks!  See you on our roll call!

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 4:19 PM, gunnywife said:

Thanks, Lynn

Just did that transfer with 3 persons and 5 big bags and 3 small bags. Wife and I are in our 80s. Arrive early (5:45 AM) at LHR and was met 1 hour later by reserved driver/van from Marble Cars (Bookings.com). Cost $217. Light traffic that morning; about 1 1/2 hour to Southampton hotel (Room2 Hometel).