Fires in Bordeaux Region - anyone cruising there now?

pontac

I'm due to go on a Scenic river cruise in Bordeaux in a few weeks time.

I read today that wildfires are raging in the region, including Arcachon which is a excursion destination. 

I'd like to hear from those currently cruising the Bordeaux region what impact these fires are having.....

Source: Fine wine estate evacuated as wildfires rage south of Bordeaux - The Drinks Business 

It's not the same situation but in late 2019 (?) we had a long weekend planned for the Napa and Sonoma wine regions in California. The wildfires had been raging in the area for some time and we were worried how they might affect our trip. We were surprised that we noticed almost no effect despite all the damage. While we were happy our trip was impacted, we still mourned for those who had lost so much. Perhaps you will be as lucky as we were. 🤞

I hope and pray for all those suffering due to the fires across England and the EU. 

Paul

I am obviously not in the region but have just come across an alert from the British government. They have a link to the French regional authorities. Looks bad in the Gironde region. Two villages were blocked off or at least access was restricted and there is a red alert. I think they do not want you to go into forests: https://www.gironde.gouv.fr/

Some images: https://www.lemonde.fr/en/les-decodeurs/article/2022/07/22/before-and-after-satellite-images-of-the-massive-fires-in-gironde-france_5991052_8.html

One does wonder what the impact on river cruising may be. Hopefully a cruiser can supply some up-to-date info.

notamermaid

No doubt the fires are serious, but I'm aware the media makes things more dramatic. That's why I asked what impact the fires have had on river cruises.

One of the excursions is to Arcachon, I was reading of very severe fires there and I expect excursions to the town and sand dunes will not take place during the fires. But I'd like to hear from those on a cruise at this time.

A participant on another - non-cruising forum - is on holiday in Arcachon and he says 

the fires were pretty severe earlier this week and came within a couple of km of Arcachon itself. Last Tuesday evening the sky over the town was, rather alarmingly, entirely obscured with black smoke, although I don’t think we were ever in any real danger.
The fires have been put out now. The effect on local ecology has obviously been pretty devastating but, short of another heatwave, I’d hope you’d be fine for your trip in a few weeks.

Edited by pontac

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Bordeaux Aug. 1-4.  one of those days I took the train over to Arachon Bay.   No indication of any fires on the way or once I got to Arachon.  Living in the Mountain West and asthmatic, I am very sensitive to smoke.  I didn't see or smell any smoke.  The skies over Arachon were nice and blue.  Other than being scorching hot in Bordeaux and Arachon, it was a very nice time.  

I've included 2 photos - one of part of the Arachon beach and one of Bordeaux, with the AMA Amadolce docked on the river,  Hopefully this will give you just a glimpse of an idea of the skies.

QkMFTHLUReijpqESnWL5oA.jpg

KE5aIWUFTOOvvP%ui2s09g.jpg

• Like 2