Iceland in August - what will people wear on board?

BrendaJ

It seems strange to be visiting ports in the middle of summer where the temperatures are quite low - daytime highs in the mid fifties.   Will people be wearing summer attire onboard?   Will the White Night be outdoors?   I can't imagine wearing sundresses and sandals when it's so chilly.

8 hours ago, BrendaJ said:

It seems strange to be visiting ports in the middle of summer where the temperatures are quite low - daytime highs in the mid fifties.   Will people be wearing summer attire onboard?   Will the White Night be outdoors?   I can't imagine wearing sundresses and sandals when it's so chilly.

We did a cruise to Norway in July a couple of years ago. We had snow in Flam! We took lots of layers which worked well as the weather varied - it was warm & sunny in Bergen. No-one wore sundresses and sandals though. Our White Night was in Tromso - most people wore long sleeves and lots wore jackets on top. It was great though - still light at midnight!

• Like 2

We did Iceland in July it’s very much long sleeved T-shirts layers, maybe pack one short sleeve item but it’s not sunny weather clothes.  It’s the most beautiful country (going back next year). The geothermal activity and how they harness it to best advantage is so scenic 

I doubt White Night will be outdoors, it’s a lovely event but not at all suited for northern climes! 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, uktog said:

We did Iceland in July it’s very much long sleeved T-shirts layers, maybe pack one short sleeve item but it’s not sunny weather clothes.  It’s the most beautiful country (going back next year). The geothermal activity and how they harness it to best advantage is so scenic 

I doubt White Night will be outdoors, it’s a lovely event but not at all suited for northern climes! 

I guess it depends on the weather. Ours in Tromso in July was outside, but it was a sunny evening.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I guess it depends on the weather. Ours in Tromso in July was outside, but it was a sunny evening.

I am now about 70/30 between cold/wet (around the world) than warm and dry so I suspect that clouds out judgment now. If only Azamara had a retractable roof what a difference that would make to white nights but I know technically on the  current ships it’s considered a no

• Like 2

We were on a cruise that stopped in Iceland and Greenland.  We packed jackets that roll up very small but kept us warm and gloves and hats.  While the bitter cold was in damp Faroe Islands and Orkney Islands, the sun was out for Greenland and Iceland, so chilly but sunny.

• Like 2