Guided tour or on your own to Edinburgh Castle

I see that the tours provided by the usual groups to Edinburgh Castle are only on the outside, as no tour guides are permitted inside.  The tours I have seen are about 1.5 hours and cover the outside of the castle.  I'm not sure if we should do this or not. I find it interesting to hear the history, etc., and wonder if we would be missing it if we didn't.  But the tours I'm looking at start at the base of the hill, climb up the hill, go around the outside of the castle, and take 1.5 hours. I wonder if it would make more sense to take a cab to the top, get out at the castle, and wander around ourselves. I think there's an audio guide.  Pro's and con's? We go next month.

I did the EC on my own. Took the train from London, bought the audio guide and did it myself. I had to go slowly so that I could ‘see’ what the audio guide was talking about. There was alot of history explained at different point in the castle.  It was thoroughly enjoyable.  I hope you enjoy it too!

• Like 1

@ladysail2 You took the train from London to Edinburgh, Scotland?  Isn’t that about 5 hours? 

@cruisegal415 We visited the castle last month.  We were in Edinburgh for five days.  We did it on our own.  We did take a cab to the entrance.  I would go inside the castle.  It seems like what you are describing would be down on the streets.  I don’t really know, though.  I didn’t see people walking around the castle.  The entrance is timed and you have to show the ticket to get close to the entrance. The grandstand seating is already up for the Military Tattoo.  That is directly outside the entrance. There were audios available.  

The Military Tattoo starts next week and runs until the last weekend in August 

Edinburgh will be crazy busy.  Get you tickets as soon as possible. Tickets were sold out many days while we were there.  Tickets are timed.  Good luck and enjoy. 

Yes, it was a long day…started in the dark and ended in the dark, LOL. I took the subway/tube to, I think St.Pancras station early in the morning, then got on the train to Edinburgh. I made sure I knew the time of the return train. Had a really nice day in Edinburgh, then took the train back.  Arrived in London about 11pm, but lots of people around and felt safe. Even the walk from the tube station to my hotel at that time felt fine. I’m glad I did it.

5 hours ago, MSPCUBS said:

Thanks for the tip about taking a taxi to the entrance.  I was wondering how I was going to get up that hill.

It’s not a steep hill, but taking a taxi would save steps and energy. 

• Like 1