Yipee! we got cruise covid...

barely

Cruised Celebrity Eclipse to Hubbard Glacier Vancouver to Vancouver (7 days) July 10 to 17.

Good cruise.. but ship is definitely overcrowded .  Lineups for everything.. from dining to elevators. Won't be going that size.. again.

Also embarkation drill (for Covid) was seemingly thorough /careful. For obvious reasons. No complaints.

Masks were optional on board. Compliance diminished seriously after the first day.

Of the 5 of us in our family group , 3 of us got Covid .

Symptoms well entrenched by the last day of the cruise.. and continue a week + later.

Wunnerfull !.. I was told (not by any sales /marketers tho) that there  was/is ! a 50% chance of getting Covid on a cruise.

Welll.. That advise proved conservative.. at best. 

Feeling Lucky?? we certainly were not.

• Thanks 2

Sorry to hear.   There seems to be so much of it it is one of several reasons we cancelled our 50 day South Pacific cruise.  Not worth the risk to us as the cruise was quite expensive.  

I hope the 3 of you that got covid it isn’t too serious.  

• Like 1

No not hospital serious.. but It is more unpleasant  than any previous  Bad flu episode.. And it seemingly lingers.     Seriously annoying, as we all had survived 2+ years .. Covid free.               

Noting that All of us had 4 vaccine shots as well... presumably it could have been worse.

i was on that cruise too with my wife and 2 kids.  I tested positive for covid the morning we left the ship.  Tested negative today, so about a week, wife got it a couple days after, kids are negative.  We wore our masks almost all the time, except for outside.  We stayed away from big groups of people and only took masks off to eat inside and i still got it.  Everyone else was just acting like everything was normal. I was a little surprised, huge groups of people inside, no masks, no worries.  That being said, what a joke, 2+ years of wearing a mask and worrying for a half assed cold/flu for 3 days?   I am glad i wasn't sick but a bit underwhelmed after all the fuss for this long. None of us have got Covid over the past 2+ years.

Edited by xman1111
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, xman1111 said:

We wore our masks almost all the time, except for outside.  We stayed away from big groups of people and only took masks off to eat inside and i still got it.  Everyone else was just acting like everything was normal. I was a little surprised, huge groups of people inside, no masks, no worries.  That being said, what a joke, 2+ years of wearing a mask and worrying for a half assed cold/flu for 3 days?   I am glad i wasn't sick but a bit underwhelmed after all the fuss for this long. None of us have got Covid over the past 2+ years.

The virus probably does not  make exception to those that are eating or  being outdoors with or without a mask 🤔

Yes big joke  on all those that  have severe covid  long term effects or died

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

The virus probably does not  make exception to those that are eating or  being outdoors with or without a mask 🤔

Yes big joke  on all those that  have severe covid  long term effects or died

i meant we wore our mask way more than anyone we saw and when we ate, we sat way off to the side or outside.   I am saying how i felt after avoiding it for these 2 years.  Can't say anything these days without someone getting all upset, you'll be ok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Daughter in law works in ICU... She has seen Dozens of people die ugly Covid deaths. 

Nothing to joke about. Despite unrelenting news coverage of Idiots / ridiculous views.  

However the Virus has mutated massively in the past 3 years and the currently virulent strain is less toxic. Regardless, I know of a couple of people who are experiencing serious symptoms with it.

So symptoms/effect varies widely  with individuals.

I consider myself lucky and  Quad vaccines likely played a part.                               

PS: Masks are most effective in keeping contagion In rather than Out.                              A significant difference .

Regardless, by the 4th  day virtually No One wore a mask anywhere,  other than Staff.  This surprised me... some.

One night in the Main Eclipse Dining Room.. a Family  seated next to our table.

Their two preteen sons .. Coughing and Sneezing virtually constantly.

Mum said that 'She' was a Nurse and that they were actually OK.

Then   proceeded to wipe noses with table linens.  Nurse ?.. my ass.

Can't make this level of Shite up. 

They claimed to be from Vancouver ... nothing short of embarrassing that.

The Maitre 'D relocated us immediately.  Possibly too late though. 

Cruse ship /staff were fastidious re covid precautions. Kudos to them.

Cruise line is serious about protecting their Business.

But their  'Customers'  not so much.. Hey! they (or their Credit Cards) paid.. so there is a delusional Entitlement attitude .

There is No underestimating Humans.

Edited by barely
  • Like 7

On 7/23/2022 at 7:50 PM, Elismoots said:

We disembarked  the Adventure of the Seas on July 16. On July 17 we tested positive for covid after being able to avoid it for 28 months. We just beginning to feel better today.

If i may ask , what were your symptoms , i hear a sore throat mostly .

Did you get booster shots ?

Thanks

All 5 of us had  4 vaccine shots. Weeks before boarding.

We all passed the required /verified Covid test screening the day before embarkation.

Curiously during embarkation.. Only a cursory Glance at the Test results was done.

From what I casually observed: 

one could  V Easily falsify that testing.. IF one could care less/found it expedient to cheat..                     

I was  pre warned  (medical friends) that  becoming Covid infected was  a given on a Cruise.   Health  researchers  keep such statistics.. for reason.

Yet there is  100% avoidance/non mention of that  small inconvenient Factoid .. Anywhere.. (other than from medical sources).. to do with the Cruising Business. 

Symptoms varied..  Clearly on individual immune system conditions . 

Mine was a heavy Head cold, Headache, Stiff muscles for about 1 1/2  ~ 2 days With No sleeping possible.  I 'seemingly' fully recovered in ~ 4 days. A lingering propensity to doze off tho.. is worrying

Others had  Migrane type symptoms, Sinus issues, stiff joints and semi constant coughing.  Almost 2 weeks on.. their symptoms , albeit reduced.. continue.

Not good.     Happily none seemed to demand Hospitalisation.                                              

Cruising and Covid seem as inseparable.. likely for years to come. 

Plan accordingly

Edited by barely
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, loman said:

Thanks

i know this wasn't for me but... i was double vaxxed and boosted.  I started with a sore throat, then rough voice, chills, a cough, and headache.  It was like a mild cold and a mild flu, rolled into one.

Edited by xman1111

41 minutes ago, xman1111 said:

i know this wasn't for me but... i was double vaxxed and boosted.  I started with a sore throat, then rough voice, chills, a cough, and headache.  It was like a mild cold and a mild flu, rolled into one.

Thank you for the reply . I hope that you recovered quickly .

• Like 1

19 hours ago, loman said:

Thanks

Both of us were double vaxed and double boosted. I had a bit of a sore throat but not for long. Mainly a cough, body aches and a fever. It disrupted my sleep as well. My wife also had a headache and shortness of breath.

12 minutes ago, Elismoots said:

Both of us were double vaxed and double boosted. I had a bit of a sore throat but not for long. Mainly a cough, body aches and a fever. It disrupted my sleep as well. My wife also had a headache and shortness of breath.

Thank you for the response. Im cruising end of September and plan on getting a second booster of pfizer a month prior, to get the best possible protection.

Then all i can do is hope for the best. 

I have evaded it so far and am glad to hear that the symptoms are not too severe and are now more manageable. Wishing you ... All the best ! 

On 7/23/2022 at 10:04 AM, barely said:

No not hospital serious.. but It is more unpleasant  than any previous  Bad flu episode.. And it seemingly lingers.     Seriously annoying, as we all had survived 2+ years .. Covid free.               

Noting that All of us had 4 vaccine shots as well... presumably it could have been worse.

May I ask, where how did you get your 2nd booster, they're not sending invites to under 70s yet?

10 minutes ago, turnin50 said:

May I ask, where how did you get your 2nd booster, they're not sending invites to under 70s yet?

In Ontario you need to be over 60 and 6 months since your last booster .

I just walk over to my local drug store for mine. 

Shoppers Drug Mart should be able to help you . Give them a call .

Dont know what the regulations are in BC .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turnin50 said:

Yeah seems like BC is always behind the rest of the country which is why I asked barely who is from Vancouver how they all got their 2nd boosters 

You guys were in the front of the line getting nature's beauty so it's only fair you are always behind the rest of us for other things.  😉

I'd gladly trade you Hamilton's harbour for Victoria's harbour.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

You guys were in the front of the line getting nature's beauty so it's only fair you are always behind the rest of us for other things.  😉

I'd gladly trade you Hamilton's harbour for Victoria's harbour.

True it’s pretty damn nice over here