Using AirTag to track kids (< 10 years old) onboard?

mkkao924

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

You are naive. There have been predators caught on cruise ships and there is crime. There have been rapes and sexual assaults.  

Hardly naïve.  There are nearly 30 million cruise passengers per normal year.  I bet the violent crime rate is lower than in your hometown.  In the law of large numbers there will always be criminals and crime, but you have to weigh that against the damage caused by being too protective and sheltering.  Crime will always happen but to not allow kids to be kids without hovering supervision is also damaging to a child's sense of self and ability to become a full functioning adult.  Take the bumpers off the coffee table, the kids will be just fine. 

• Like 3

On 7/24/2022 at 10:44 AM, mkkao924 said:

I know Apple does not recommend to use AirTag to track kids, and I don't intend to rely on using this solely to track kids, but I am wondering if this even works onboard (at sea) as supplemental method of tracking? For example, when they are in kids club, I might be able to use it to track if they still stay in kids club or they ran out.

It does not sound like it would work well, but even if the horizontal aspects were accurate (forward/mid-ship/aft and starboard/port), there's also the vertical variables (deck 6 vs. deck 14).

22 minutes ago, n4w said:

It does not sound like it would work well, but even if the horizontal aspects were accurate (forward/mid-ship/aft and starboard/port), there's also the vertical variables (deck 6 vs. deck 14).

Unless the inside of the ship is mapped, pretty sure none are, all a user will see is that the tags surrounded by ocean. I live in a multi story building  and my four tags right now show located at home and as you surmise there is no indication whether they are on the 4th floor or 10th floor. If I am within 15 to 30 feet I can use precision tracking to find an AirTag. There will be a pointer and with the amount of feet away the tag is. This actually useful at home if I misplace my keys. Not going to be useful tracking kids. My neice can't find her cat sometimes in her apartment. It would work for that....

On 7/24/2022 at 1:44 PM, mkkao924 said:

I know Apple does not recommend to use AirTag to track kids, and I don't intend to rely on using this solely to track kids, but I am wondering if this even works onboard (at sea) as supplemental method of tracking? For example, when they are in kids club, I might be able to use it to track if they still stay in kids club or they ran out.

Air Tags rely on other apple phones and devices near the tag to receive and report it's presence. That requires that those device are all up on internet. This would not work on a ship or in areas where there are not tons of other apple devices around. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Air Tags rely on other apple phones and devices near the tag to receive and report it's presence. That requires that those device are all up on internet. This would not work on a ship or in areas where there are not tons of other apple devices around. 

There are over a billion Apple devices and all it takes is one on the internet so the odds are pretty good there will be an Apple device around. But again I don't think AirTags will be much use as a kid tracking device on a ship. An Apple watch would be a better device to know where the kids are.

Edited by Charles4515

On 7/25/2022 at 10:04 AM, Middleager said:

So what's recommended to keep track of the wives?  (Chip implanted in the back of the neck while she sleeps?) 🤪

Who cares where they roam off to? 

With phones in airplane mode, even with WIFI turned on, there's no location info.  Reception can get blocked amidst all the metal, making reception kind of spotty.

Also agree that kids in the Club are signed in/out up to age 10 or so, after that they can sign themselves out, but have to sign the paper (can't just walk off).  In our experience, a daily schedule was posted... ping-pong at 10, basketball at 11, video games at 2... so we had a fairly good idea where they'd be.

When mine were old enough to sign themselves out, we had them call the room/leave a message.  We also identified a zone on deck where they could usually find me on a lounge with a book.  "in the shade near the ice cream".

Oh, and that if they weren't in the kids club, they had to be together.  Smile!

On 7/26/2022 at 4:37 PM, Charles4515 said:

You are naive. There have been predators caught on cruise ships and there is crime. There have been rapes and sexual assaults.  

i work closely with threat/ security assessment. what crazytrain stated was absolutely correct; cruise ships (potentially) provide an environment rich in "targets" but poor opportunity.

are there sex crimes on cruise ships? yes, just as there are murders; however given the massive number of people cruising annually (30M+) both are very rare. 

finally and yet again, most sex crime are committed by a trusted individual and this is especially true of prepubescents.