Honolulu luau

georgiacat

Best for whom? What are your expectations?

My favorite is the Hale Koa Luau, but you need a DOD connection for that one. After that Experience Nutridge is my current favorite.

Toa Luau is very popular, but it is up in Waimea. Chief's Luau and Paradise Cove Luau out at Ko Olina are very popular. If I had young kids, I might do the Aulani Luau, also Ko Olina.

Sea Life Park has a newish luau and the International Market Place has a newish one as well.

If I was planning on visiting the Polynesian Cultural Center, I'd probably do their luau, and I think their luau has the best/most authentic dancing. Many of the performers are from the cultures they depict in the show and are students at BYU Hawaii.

• Like 4

We are doing the one at the Polynesian Cultural Center which we wanted to visit anyway. We chose the package that includes the tour of the center, the luau, an evening show after that, and round trip transportation from Waikiki. It will be a full day (I believe pickup is around 10:30 am), but it includes everything we wanted. Reviews were good!

• Like 4

Yes, we did. We booked the Ali’i package (other packages available as well) on their website . The transportation is $25 per person RT and we felt that the whole package was worth it to us as it included quite a bit and we will not have a car either.

Rita

This is from their website:

PACKAGE INCLUDES:

Island Villages

(12:30 - 6:00 pm)

Island Villages

Six island nations, Hawaii, Aotearoa , Fiji, Tahiti, Tonga and Samoa, are represented within our Island Villages. Each village provides hands-on activities, demonstrations, and performances which brings these unique cultures to life.  Immersive cultural experience in 6 island villages 

All day admission to explore the authentic cultures of 6 pacific Islands. Interact with friendly villagers as they share entertaining presentations, enduring customs and the vibrant traditions of their islands

Guided group tour 

Be part of a small group guided tour through the Polynesian Cultural Center’s beautiful and expansive 42-acres with one of our knowledgeable tour guides. (Check-in 12:45-2:00 pm)

Hands-on activities 

Explore each island’s unique culture with hands-on activities; games of skill, canoe paddling, fire starting, cooking and much more

Canoe tour 

Take a leisurely canoe tour across our magnificent lagoon

Free preselected digital photo (a $22.50 value) 

Get a free digital souvenir photo with additional photos available for purchase

Laie & Temple Visitors Center tour 

Take a spin around the beautiful BYU-Hawaii campus and stop at the historic La’ie Temple Visitors Center to wander through its stunning gardens and displays

Free 3-day pass 

Free 3-day pass to our island villages (after initial visit)

Dining

(5:00 - 6:30 pm)

Dining

Taste, sight and sound unite to bring you the ultimate luau experience. Dine in our authentic “all you can eat” Polynesian buffet while enjoying an island extravaganza of song, dance and celebration from across the Pacific. 

4:40 pm: Seating begins
5:00 pm: uncovering of the pig from the imu (underground oven) 
5:00 pm: Live entertainment begins (imu) 
5:30 pm: Final Seating 
 Alii Luau Buffet with live entertainment (seating begins at 4:40 pm) 

Our award winning Alii Luau is a royal celebration of our cultural heritage which includes the Royal Court procession, presentation of the imu (underground oven), delicious traditional food, and lively Hawaiian entertainment held in a covered outdoor venue against a background of waterfalls and lush gardens

Flower lei greeting (at the Luau) 

Be greeted with a fresh orchid lei as you enter the luau

Evening Show

(7:30-8:45pm)

Evening Show

Experience the power of HA: Breath of Life, an action-packed story of passion ignited by fire, song, and dance, featuring over 100 Polynesian performers from across the Pacific.  Gold level seating at "HA: Breath of Life" evening show 

Gold level seating at "HA: Breath of Life" evening show

• Like 2

The PCC is a great place, very entertaining and the dinner show terrific.

I don't know if the Hale Koa Hotel has restarted their luau, but it is the one we usually go to. We've been to the Hilton's (before it was on top of a parking garage) and Royal Hawaiian's (both before and after the remodel) and Germains's (decades ago). Hale Koa is the only one we'd go back to. We have not tried the "new" ones (meaning anything new in the last 20 years).

3 hours ago, rg123 said:

I saw the one for Hale Koa, too, and it looked nice,  but as we are not military, I didn’t  think we were eligible to attend (?)

Correct-- active duty or retired service members only can stay/utilize Hale Koa. There are some other limited exceptions for DoD employees etc. Official list here: https://www.halekoa.com/about-hale-koa-hotel/eligibility

• Like 1

Best luau we've ever been to was the original Lahaina luau in Maui. So, after looking at a few of them in Honolulu, we will be picking the Chief's luau, which has a 5-star rating from Trip Advisor. We'll be celebrating anniversaries for DH and I, as well as my DB and his wife, so looking forward to the cruise to Hawaii!! Cheers!!

I have read about several of the luaus.  Right now I am thinking of booking the all day Polynesian Cultural Center with the luau at the end of the day.  Does anyone have comments about the Polynesian Cultural experience?

Hi Georgia-cat. After re-reading my earlier post today,  I hope I did not mislead you. There are a couple luau packages to choose from at the PCC and transportation ($25/person) is an optional add on to them. So our total package included the Ali’i luau and the extra transportation. (They have several pick up points in Waikiki). Sorry if I wasn’t clear

11 hours ago, georgiacat said:

I have read about several of the luaus.  Right now I am thinking of booking the all day Polynesian Cultural Center with the luau at the end of the day.  Does anyone have comments about the Polynesian Cultural experience?

I think the PCC is great. As you to through the various "villages" you will meet people from those areas and cultures, who are students at BYU Hawaii and have come from all over Polynesia to go to college there. The entertainment is probably the most authentic you will find.

• Like 2

My husband is not so keen on all the food and drink at this Luau and it is very expensive so will just visit the site during the day and miss the show. I would like to hear some music and dancing and thought to book the House without a key. Any advice on what time to arrive, to sit indoors or out to see the entertainment and what is the food  like?

• Like 1

The music at the House Without A Key starts at 5:30PM in general so I would either want to be there before 5:30PM or after 7PM as some of the early folks leave for dinner reservations elsewhere.

The food at HWAK is good, but Orchids is outstanding. We do cocktails at HWAK, dinner at Orchids.

On 8/7/2022 at 8:14 PM, scottca075 said:

The music at the House Without A Key starts at 5:30PM in general so I would either want to be there before 5:30PM or after 7PM as some of the early folks leave for dinner reservations elsewhere.

The food at HWAK is good, but Orchids is outstanding. We do cocktails at HWAK, dinner at Orchids.

Thanks for your input,

• 2 weeks later...

On their website, Polynesian Cultural Center says that guest will be returned (with their transportation) by 10:45 pm, which is too late for our Carnival cruise.  The ship sails at 11:00 pm.  I've been looking for options WITH transportation, but it's really limited.  For those in the know, would Chief's Luau or Paradise Cove Luau be a safer bet, since they are much closer to the ship? I sure wish the cruiseline would offer a luau, with pickup and return at the port. Arranging transportation is a pain!  Even if you book the luau transportation (and they don't all offer this), you still have to get to and from Waikiki.

On 8/7/2022 at 3:14 PM, scottca075 said:

Great suggestion! If we did drinks at HWAK at 5:30, what time would you suggest doing dinner at Orchids? We'd like to see the sunset.

5 minutes ago, H2OfordCruiser said:

Great suggestion! If we did drinks at HWAK at 5:30, what time would you suggest doing dinner at Orchids? We'd like to see the sunset.

You can Google sunset time for Honolulu on the day you to go, but generally if we went to HWAK at 5:30PM, we'd probably reserve Orchids for 6:30PM.

pcvtmom,

Check the ship that you are cruising on.  We are going with Pride of America.  I believe that they have a luau excursion on one of the islands (not Oahu).  I feel sure that other cruiselines would schedule luaus also.  That is such a "Hawaiian thing".

We are planning to stay in Waikiki for 3 days before the cruise.  I have not made reservations or bought excursions yet, but I am thinking about one day Circle Tour and another day Polynesian Cultural Center with luau and their transportation.  I am sure we will be tired from trying to get too much in.  There is always the beach and the pool.  Then get on the ship and go some more.  Thinking of the Pearl Harbor transportation tour from ship to airport at end of cruise.

6 hours ago, georgiacat said:

pcvtmom,

Check the ship that you are cruising on.  We are going with Pride of America.  I believe that they have a luau excursion on one of the islands (not Oahu).  I feel sure that other cruiselines would schedule luaus also.  That is such a "Hawaiian thing".

We are planning to stay in Waikiki for 3 days before the cruise.  I have not made reservations or bought excursions yet, but I am thinking about one day Circle Tour and another day Polynesian Cultural Center with luau and their transportation.  I am sure we will be tired from trying to get too much in.  There is always the beach and the pool.  Then get on the ship and go some more.  Thinking of the Pearl Harbor transportation tour from ship to airport at end of cruise.

I checked the cruise line's shore excursions first, but Carnival isn't offering a luau at any of the ports, sadly. Hence, my concern about getting back to the ship on time. It appears that Oahu is our best port to schedule a luau, since we have an 11:00 pm departure.

Have never been to this one (only Paradise Cove and going to Polynesian Cultural Center this time), but it looks pretty good and would fit your time frame:

Ka Moana Luau at Sea Life Park. 
checkin is 5-5:30; dinner 5:45-6:45, Luau at 7; finishes at 8. They do offer transportation from Waikiki -$25 RT and says they get back at 8:30. 
I saw this on TravelShack website