San Diego Cruiseport Hotels

dgartin

Hello,  We are booked on a 35 day cruise leaving in  February on Holland America leaving from and returning to San Diego.    I am looking for a hotel that offers airport shuttle AND cruiseport shuttle.  We will be staying at least one night pre-cruise and one night post cruise.  I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks a lot.  

Donna

Hot Springs, AR

There may be a couple of hotels that offer both, but none that I would recommend. Look at the map below.

https://goo.gl/maps/HdRkSb8isvNML1hv8

The airport and cruise port are barely two miles apart. Directly across from the cruise port are three hotels, the Residence Inn Bayfront, SpringHill Suites Bayfront and Hotel InterContinental San Diego. See the map below.

https://goo.gl/maps/cxthoDK4Sq1C4Jtg6

These are all relatively new hotels and the location unbeatable.

Totally agree. There are 8 or maybe 10 hotels within easy walking distance of the port, and AT MOST, a $15 taxi ride, before tip, from the airport. The farthest away from the port is about 6 blocks. Take a look around...a number of threads here about San Diego hotels.

• Like 1

We will be staying at Holiday Inn Express airport old town which has shuttles to/from airport and cruise port. We have never been to San Diego before and I would be interested in hearing why Scott would not recommend.

Diane

6 hours ago, Set to go said:

We will be staying at Holiday Inn Express airport old town which has shuttles to/from airport and cruise port. We have never been to San Diego before and I would be interested in hearing why Scott would not recommend.

It is a rotten location. It is right on the 5 Freeway, not much around. See the map below.

https://goo.gl/maps/8TGtftGzSCeJs3pm6

Here is the SpringHill Suites Bayfront, Residence Inn Bayfront (same building) and Hotel InterContinental San Diego.

https://goo.gl/maps/Zm1aGdnaTwpoyEkq7

You wake up across the street from your ship and to glorious views of San Diego Bay. You also have great dining right there and stores to buy water, snacks, wine, etc before boarding. No amount of free shuttles could entice me to stay anyplace else.

Scottca075,

Would like your opinion on the Holiday Inn Express Downtown on 7th Ave.  Using  points and it is way less than bayfront properties.  Looks like there is plenty to eat and see in the area.  But…will consider a change if recommended. We are flying in Jan 5, for a Hawaii cruise Jan. 6.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

2 hours ago, Sudoku said:

Scottca075, Would like your opinion on the Holiday Inn Express Downtown on 7th Ave.  Using  points and it is way less than bayfront properties.  Looks like there is plenty to eat and see in the area.  But…will consider a change if recommended. We are flying in Jan 5, for a Hawaii cruise Jan. 6.

It isn't in a great area, but neither is the area awful.

If the InterContinental is too many points, I'd look at the Kimpton Palomar, Hotel Indigo and Holiday Inn Bayside before I'd book the HI Express on 7th. The HI Express on 7th is on a little bit of a hill too.

Transport from the airport to many nearby great hotels is just minutes and cheap. The most I ever paid from the airport to a hotel was $20 including tip.  There are several hotels within walking distance to the ship if you can drag your luggage a few blocks.  I'm Hilton brand loyal and do the Embassy or Hilton Gaslamp, so can't comment on HI properties.    Embassy for one night is good and you could drag your luggage to the pier.  Many years ago we had 14 of us and paid the hotel shuttle driver to take us all to the pier.  Hilton Gaslamp you will need a ride share.  I agree not to stay in Old Town no matter the price it's not worth it.   

21 hours ago, scottca075 said:

It isn't in a great area, but neither is the area awful.

If the InterContinental is too many points, I'd look at the Kimpton Palomar, Hotel Indigo and Holiday Inn Bayside before I'd book the HI Express on 7th. The HI Express on 7th is on a little bit of a hill too.

Thank you!  We changed to the HI Bayside for just a few more points. I feel much better now. 😊

• Like 1

I’ll be leaving out of San Diego in December and have a room booked at the Double Tree downtown but was told that it was an older hotel that was showing it’s age. I also booked a room at the Hilton airport/Harbor Inn. For those of you who know the area, which reservation would you keep? I’m a Hilton gold member so want to stay in a Hilton property.

33 minutes ago, AnnieBelle said:

I’ll be leaving out of San Diego in December and have a room booked at the Double Tree downtown but was told that it was an older hotel that was showing it’s age. I also booked a room at the Hilton airport/Harbor Inn. For those of you who know the area, which reservation would you keep? I’m a Hilton gold member so want to stay in a Hilton property.

Can I say neither? Those are possibly the last two Hiltons I'd book in DT San Diego,

Start with the Carte Hotel, Homewood Suites/Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Little Italy, then the Homewood Suites Liberty Station, Hilton San Diego Bayfront, Hilton San Diego Gaslamp, Hampton Inn Liberty Station, Embassy Suites  and Hampton Inn Pacific Highway, THEN the Hilton Harbor Island then the DoubleTree DT San Diego.

• Like 1

The DT on Front Street?...nope, pass.

The Embassy Suites on Pacific Highway is 6 easy walked blocks away, has been, and would be my choice. There are other, nicer Hilton Family members a little further away.

Lifetime Diamond here, who has stayed in several Hiltons in San Diego over the years.

• Like 1

We have the Marriott Marquis booked for four nights in January because I liked the look of the place, the balconies and the pool area.  I know its a few more blocks away from the pier but any warnings to pass along?  Thanks. 

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, AnnieBelle said:

I ended up booking at the Hampton Inn downtown. It’s affordable and looks like I can walk to a few sights. My outgoing flight has switched to 6am so now I’ll need to spend the night near the airport (I live 3 hours away). It will all be worth it though!

You don't want to stay in the one on Pacific Highway. Stuck between the noisy rail and a busy street upfront.

I'm Hilton loyal and use to stay in SD frequently before we moved nearby.  As suggest the DT on Front street is a non-starter.  We like either the Hilton Gaslamp, Hilton Bay Side, or Embassy Suites; in that order.  The Hilton on Mission Island isn't bad, but no place nearby to walk to except a couple of fair places to eat.  The Residence Inn is OK, but not much around to walk to.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AnnieBelle said:

I want to stay with Hilton hotels so the Hilton Bayfront would be a decent choice?

Hilton Bayfront is a great hotel. You do have to walk into the Gaslamp for restaurants if you don't want to eat in the hotel.

For a Hilton hotel for a cruise I think I'd look at the Carte Hotel in Little Italy first.