Covid testing and “in transit” passengers

Shrinkersgal

We are scheduled on an upcoming back to back on Dawn. The health information we received from Silversea indicates that “in transit” passengers will require Covid testing before boarding. Am I correct in assuming that back to back passengers are “in transit” and that when we return from our Silversea excursion we will be tested? Has anyone has experience with this issue? This process certainly seems to put back to back passengers at much greater risk of not being able to complete their cruise because you become positive while on board. If the same cruise was not considered b2b  a Covid positive test would result in quarantine on the ship.

Thanks for your assistance

I was tested (on the ship) the day before turnaround day back in March on the Spirit when I was on a B2B. I tested positive, was put in quarantine on the ship for one night then was disembarked on turnaround day and spent six nights in quarantine in a hotel. They do the testing the day before because, I presume, they are much too busy to handle any necessary arrangements for positive pax on turnaround day.

I was refunded the fare for the forfeited cruise but it was no fun.

BUT ... here I am again, doing B2B on the Dawn and expect to be tested the day before turnaround day (in 48hrs from now) and have fingers and toes crossed that lighting will not strike twice.

There was quite a lot of Covid on the Spirit in March; they claim there are no positive cases currently on the Dawn, and I am completely well with no hint of a symptom, so I am hopeful ... but it is weighing on my mind a bit, will be glad when it's done.

(PS Of course I will test myself the day before the ship's testing so I'll be fairly sure of my status and it won't be a surprise. There's no point testing myself any sooner as one's status can change so rapidly.)

• Like 2

On this Dawn cruise, in transit passengers were tested between 4.30pm and 5.30pm two days before the turnaround day (ie on Aug 2nd for turnaround today, Aug 4).

I suspect the exact timing depends on the port schedule.

It was quickly done, turn up to the Venetian lounge, be given a test tube with bar code scanned in, the test done by someone (ship nurse?), not ones self (very brief swab of anterior nares, rather cursory in my medical opinion) and that was all.

We were supposed to stay in our cabin till given the result but the call didn't come - I was subsequently told that if I hadn't heard in twenty minutes then I was negative - which thank goodness I was. Later that evening a proper test certificate from an external firm (not SS - Eurofins E clinical - presumably contracted by SS) arrived in my email.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

We were told it came from Monaco.

Our Captain and a few officers met them in Marseille. We were in port with the new Silver Endeavour which was officially handed 2 days ago.We were told of the change in policy 2 days ago. I believe it.Silversea is well known for not keeping all passengers up to date.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drron29 said:

I believe it.Silversea is well known for not keeping all passengers up to date.

No argument on that. They decided the day before our mid cruise antigen test on the moon in Jan would be scraped. Something I wasn't impressed with, particularly as the missing day 7 test was followed by my wife (self testing) positive on day 10. My thoughts at the time was that it could have been a contributing factor (ie caught from another guest who hadn't been tested and "caught"), but now as certain as can be it was while off the ship in Honduras the infection came from.

Goalposts move and suspect the delay in passing on decisions made is through the very poor communication from the top which as you've said, is very noticeable and could be improved with a little effort.

• Like 2