Latest on Skagway

Mikewa

16 minutes ago, Mikewa said:

Ovation August 5 - with a stop in Skagway.  Heard and read about possible itinerary changes due to potential rockslides at Skagway pier.  Anyone have any facts?

There was another rock slide?  The last I had seen, the pier was open again after the rock slide from a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

The pier Princess uses (Railroad Dock) is the most affected and so they are re-routing a lot of their cruises.  I understand that there is some concern that additional rocks could fall and so they putting additional precautions on the area most likely to be affected.  I am not familiar with which pier Royal uses assuming it is a different one than Princess, it may not be an issue.

3 minutes ago, prmssk said:

The pier Princess uses (Railroad Dock) is the most affected and so they are re-routing a lot of their cruises.  I understand that there is some concern that additional rocks could fall and so they putting additional precautions on the area most likely to be affected.  I am not familiar with which pier Royal uses assuming it is a different one than Princess, it may not be an issue.

It is not the same one, but it might still be affected if the entire hillside slips, as some engineers fear.  

skagway.jpg

Edited by flamingos

9 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

There was another rock slide?  The last I had seen, the pier was open again after the rock slide from a few weeks ago.

I've checked several local news sources and nothing about a new/current rockslide.  Only that there is real fear of another happening sometime in the (near?) future. 

6 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Quantum and Ovation use the Railroad Dock rear and Princess uses the forward berth.  

Edited by reallyitsmema

I’m on the Quantum now.  Had a great time in Skagway.  Our ship was a couple of hours delayed leaving port due to a rumored rockslide that blocked the (RCCL shore excursion) train from returning.  Again, only rumor, as I heard this from a local.  The first train made it out, but a rockslide occurred after that, cancelling all other trains.  

The actual ship port had no issues whatsoever.    

I think they should load the train up in town at the station.  We did that in 2010 and 2012.  Also the train can be boarded just before it gets into town which is on a different track that goes over by the dock.

It worrisome about unstable rocks and both docking areas.  Hope it gets resolved or the port will become like the Caymans and everyone has to tender in.

There was another rockslide yesterday.  This is from a Skagway News FB post posted August 3.

A landslide occurred on Railroad Dock at approximately 5 p.m. While there is significant debris, no injuries were reported. The passengers from the Norwegian Encore, around 1,800 still in town, are being tendered back to their ship from the Small Boat Harbor. Since this vessel has no tenders, they are being assisted by the Holland America Noordam. Borough Manager Brad Ryan reported that the security booth was hit by rocks. The slide is located at what is dubbed the North Slide area.

Edited by reallyitsmema

Seems to be a ship moored at the far end of the dock this morning, but I can't imagine they would let people walk by the active slide area on the way into town.

https://wpyr.com/caboose-webcam/  

PS: If you look at the webcam I don't see anyone on the dock and wonder if those two little objects to the right are tenders.

caboose_1.jpg

Edited by SeattleAl
New info

https://thepointsguy.com/news/skagway-port-rockslides/

Since then, there have been two additional slides — one last Wednesday and the most recent on Friday. Both caused damage to a dock used by a popular Skagway excursion — a mountain railroad.

Friday’s rockslide damaged a container that officials had put in place to act as a tunnel to protect cruise ship passengers from falling rocks. Fortunately, no one was injured in either of the most recent slides, but there are concerns that a much more significant landslide could be on the way.

https://khns.org/skagway-declares-state-of-emergency-readies-eoc-clinic-deal-with-searhc-gets-fresh-look

34 minutes ago, flamingos said:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/skagway-port-rockslides/

Since then, there have been two additional slides — one last Wednesday and the most recent on Friday. Both caused damage to a dock used by a popular Skagway excursion — a mountain railroad.

Friday’s rockslide damaged a container that officials had put in place to act as a tunnel to protect cruise ship passengers from falling rocks. Fortunately, no one was injured in either of the most recent slides, but there are concerns that a much more significant landslide could be on the way.

https://khns.org/skagway-declares-state-of-emergency-readies-eoc-clinic-deal-with-searhc-gets-fresh-look

That is really scary as we were in that tunnel of containers in line.  There were hundreds from the Quantum in line as we were waiting to board the train in May.  That area with the catch fence was not as bad as that picture on the link shows now.