MSC Bait and Switch-Click Bait

AnA4ever

So I went on to the MSC Cruise USA website and looked at booking a week long cruise next February. When you get to the Select your Offer" part of the booking it says you can get the free Drinks and Wifi package... but its $250 more per person to select it. The rest of the booking process is exactly the same. I can get the same room number and everything. So in short it is NOT a free drink package, so why even advertise it as such? The cost for room without the free drink package is $1400 and $2200 with it.  

This is typical marketing shenanigans that is throughout the cruise industry and beyond. It means that the drinks and wifi are free (up to a limit) if you buy that option. It doesn't mean that option is free.

For reference see Celebrity's commitment that drinks, wifi, and tips are "Always Included" in "every booking, every sailing, every time" which actually means that if you pay additional cruise fare you get them but if you don't, you don't. And it certainly doesn't mean they are always included, and certainly doesn't mean it applies to every booking, every sailing, or every time.

That said, getting wifi and the Easy Plus drinks package for $250 per pax is actually a pretty good deal.

• Like 2

Cruise lines offer different fares with different inclusions.  Even with NCL's F(r)ee at Sea, there are fares without the inclusions which are lower (and less exposed to NCLs extra fees).  Now, the offers I'm getting are less than $50pp/day to upgrade to include drinks and wifi over the lowest fare (the credit is a joke for me as a solo traveler.) 

9 minutes ago, phissy said:

Just like NCL offer of Free Open Bar and Speciality Dining,

The required gratuities for these are added to your cruise fare. 

The great thing about MSC is they do not add any more for the service charges on the drink package when you book the offer that includes the free drinks.

• Like 3

I was lied to by RCL when I went to Coco Cay and it was not a perfect day. It was cold(upper 60s Fahrenheit) and rainy. Was that bait and switch?

The included drinks and Wi-Fi fare isn’t on par with other rates, but it is less than paying the lower prices and then separately purchasing the packages.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Perhaps MSC should say, "Almost Free."   And perhaps we should give credit to Bill Clinton for explaining what "is" "is."  Words and grammar have meaning but I suspect that not much of either is taught in today's schools where dealing with pronouns is the main priority.   But a "free drink" package does get you "free drinks" only if you pay big bucks.  

Hank

• Like 1

The main issue I have found with MSC is their Kids sail free marketing. My son has booked 2 cruises and had to pay for his child. Evidently, this program is not available on all cruises or there is a limited number available.