SITKA on a Sunday - bus or taxi

Lorey2007

21 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

We will be in Sitka on a Sunday later this month.  After we take the shuttle bus will we be able to get a taxi or city bus to take us to the Fortress of the Bears?

I was wondering the same. Found an small two hour tour from the visitor center I am considering. Not certain where we dock or if we dock in Sitka. Last time I thought we were close to the town. Following.

39 minutes ago, renroc13 said:

I was wondering the same. Found an small two hour tour from the visitor center I am considering. Not certain where we dock or if we dock in Sitka. Last time I thought we were close to the town. Following.

I found out if you are in Sitka on a Sunday there is NO City bus and limited (4) taxi service. The shuttle from the ship to town does run. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, renroc13 said:

Cruise ships have been docking at the Sitka Sound Cruise Terminal which is several miles north-ish of downtown Sitka.  The dock owners provide a shuttle service (free to passengers) which runs continuously from the dock to the Harrigan Centennial Center (which also houses the visitor center).  Check the Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska website to learn the number of other ships which may also be calling at Sitka the same day you visit.

What I was going to do was, if I spotted a bus, I was going to take advantage of it and go to Fortress of the Bear.  In the end, though, we ended up running out of time; in spite of having a long port stop.  The Raptor Center, the Historical Park south of there, watching the salmon, and the city museum near there pretty much took all of our time.  We walked every step of the way, except for the shuttle into/out of town; we logged something like 20,000 steps that day.

While we didn't see any bears, we sure as heck did run across some very fresh bear skat on the hiking trail in the historical park.  Guess who had a panicking wife.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 9:10 PM, Lorey2007 said:

I guess it's called Sitka Ride bus. Blue line, red line etc. It doesn't run on Sundays.

We ended up renting a car through Turo. They will deliver to the post. It is the air bnb of cars. Great reviews we shall see.

karen