Hotels - Mind Blown!

RTR 21-0

Planning our first trip to Europe next year, looking at hotels in Rome.  A look at Google Maps and my mind blew at all of the hotels available.  I have looked through the many posts on hotels on this site and they have been very helpful.  We are staying two nights but technically a day and a half and will try to visit as many of the must-see sites as possible.  Looking for one central location to be able to walk to the major sites.  I think (and please correct me if I'm wrong) a good place to centrally stay would be the following areas:  Piazza Navona; Panthenon; or Spanish Steps (although this seems to be a bit further out).  So, for those who have traveled to Rome and had a short amount of time, which did you all find to be the most convenient?  TIA! 

1 hour ago, RTR 21-0 said:

Planning our first trip to Europe next year, looking at hotels in Rome.  A look at Google Maps and my mind blew at all of the hotels available.  I have looked through the many posts on hotels on this site and they have been very helpful.  We are staying two nights but technically a day and a half and will try to visit as many of the must-see sites as possible.  Looking for one central location to be able to walk to the major sites.  I think (and please correct me if I'm wrong) a good place to centrally stay would be the following areas:  Piazza Navona; Panthenon; or Spanish Steps (although this seems to be a bit further out).  So, for those who have traveled to Rome and had a short amount of time, which did you all find to be the most convenient?  TIA! 

The Pantheon and the Piazza Navona are two short blocks from each other.  (You walk in front of Armando al Pantheon to go from one to the other.)  It is basically the same area.  IMO, it is the most conveniently located for walking to attractions and restaurants.  Taxis to other attractions are all under or about 10 euros.  For example, the walk to the Colosseum is about 20 minutes, but there is a lot of traffic and a taxi is more convenient. Taxi to the Vatican is about 12 euros.  There is a taxi line alongside the Pantheon.

The Spanish  steps are further out but it still convenient for walking to a few places.    

Rome is a very big city and the major sites are not all in one small area. Why don't you also plot the places you want to see in the map and use that to help you pick a hotel?  You can use the walk feature in Google maps to check out the distances.  And do the street view to see the area.

Edited by marazul
  • Thanks 1

@Marazul, thank you for the info.   Decided to go with a room that overlooks the Piazza Navona square from the room and also a terrace for breakfast or cocktails in the evening.  Feel pretty good about our selection.  I do have a question for you.  We'll be staying one night after our cruise, flying out of FCO.  Would you suggest staying that last night in Civi or going back to Rome?  I've done the cost comparison on transfers and they're all about what and what.  Our flight is at 10:00 a.m. so we'll need to be at airport at least by 7:00.  TIA

• Like 1

I would never miss the opportunity to have an afternoon and dinner in Rome, even more so if the alternatives were Civitavecchia or the airport.

Some folks here like staying in the town of Fiumicino and having dinner at/near the sea, that's another option.

• Like 2

You have to get up at the same time to go to the airport whether at Civi or Rome. Don't stay in Civi.  Go back to Rome and enjoy the city. You will have extra time to go sightseeing in the afternoon and have a nice dinner. 

As euro cruiser said, staying in Fiumicino is also an option. You can visit Ostia Antica in the afternoon and enjoy the town and seaside later. There are some very nice restaurants there.  It will be a much shorter ride (10 minutes) to FCO in the morning. Just note that Ostia Antica is closed on Mondays. 

But it is your first trip to Europe.  Go back to Rome.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 8:53 AM, RTR 21-0 said:

@Marazul, thank you for the info.   Decided to go with a room that overlooks the Piazza Navona square from the room and also a terrace for breakfast or cocktails in the evening.  Feel pretty good about our selection.  I do have a question for you.  We'll be staying one night after our cruise, flying out of FCO.  Would you suggest staying that last night in Civi or going back to Rome?  I've done the cost comparison on transfers and they're all about what and what.  Our flight is at 10:00 a.m. so we'll need to be at airport at least by 7:00.  TIA

We are in the middle of researching Rome hotels for next May. Would you mind sharing the hotel that you found.   Thank you in advance. 

On 8/5/2022 at 7:47 PM, marazul said:

You have to get up at the same time to go to the airport whether at Civi or Rome. Don't stay in Civi.  Go back to Rome and enjoy the city. You will have extra time to go sightseeing in the afternoon and have a nice dinner. 

As euro cruiser said, staying in Fiumicino is also an option. You can visit Ostia Antica in the afternoon and enjoy the town and seaside later. There are some very nice restaurants there.  It will be a much shorter ride (10 minutes) to FCO in the morning. Just note that Ostia Antica is closed on Mondays. 

But it is your first trip to Europe.  Go back to Rome.

It is true.  You are kicked off the ship so early that you have the whole day ahead of you.    Go back to central Rome and see some more of the sights that you have missed (and there will be many).  You will probably want to be able to drop off your bags at your hotel so you will need to be central.   Maybe there is a bag store in the train station, I did not need to use it so I cannot recall.  

I just want to remind you that you have a huge amount of time in Rome - more than those of us who have only ever visited on a day trip from Civitavecchia.  I am longing to one day eat a pizza in Rome at dusk when the day trippers have gone.  I am retiring in 21 days time so  things like tthat are on the cards.  🙂 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mauimary said:

We are in the middle of researching Rome hotels for next May. Would you mind sharing the hotel that you found.   Thank you in advance. 

Navona 49.  I emailed quite a few hotels wanting to find out certain information and they were the only ones who answered each email and timely. We'll be using them for pickup from the airport and they do offer transportation to the port as well.  Breakfast included in rate.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I just want to remind you that you have a huge amount of time in Rome - more than those of us who have only ever visited on a day trip from Civitavecchia.  I am longing to one day eat a pizza in Rome at dusk when the day trippers have gone.  I am retiring in 21 days time so  things like tthat are on the cards.  🙂 

Thanks for the info and congrats on your retirement 🍾 Thinking of staying close to the airport, dropping our luggage off then taking the train to Rome.  I don't think we'll be using the train pre-cruise so it will be an adventure for us.  And should we get off at the wrong location we'll have enough time to figure out how to get back where we started.  Well hopefully 😄

• Like 1

There aren't a lot of choices that are both close to the airport and near a train station.

The obvious choice is the Hilton right at the airport.

The local train line between the airport and downtown Rome has stops near the airport at Parco Leonardo and Fiera di Roma.  There are a few small hotels and B&Bs within walking distance of each station, but not a lot to choose from.

There is also the Roma-Lido local train line but that's not right at the airport and a stay somewhere along that line would require a taxi to the airport in the morning.

Map of the Rome train lines here:  mappa ferro e tram (giu 2022) (atac.roma.it)

• Thanks 1

At the moment, the Hilton hotel site has the following message under shuttle notice:  Please note, the hotel shuttle to the center of Rome is suspended. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

However, it's an easy walk to the airport train station from the hotel.

Rome Airport Hotels | Hilton Rome Airport Hotel | Fiumicino Airport

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 3:56 PM, RTR 21-0 said:

Navona 49.  I emailed quite a few hotels wanting to find out certain information and they were the only ones who answered each email and timely. We'll be using them for pickup from the airport and they do offer transportation to the port as well.  Breakfast included in rate.  

My husband and I are also staying at Navona 49 for two nights before our cruise. We are then staying at TMark right across from the Vatican museum for one night post-cruise before heading to the airport the next morning. We've never been to Italy and wanted to spend as much time as possible exploring Rome. When is your cruise? Ours is this October.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bftcruiser said:

My husband and I are also staying at Navona 49 for two nights before our cruise. We are then staying at TMark right across from the Vatican museum for one night post-cruise before heading to the airport the next morning. We've never been to Italy and wanted to spend as much time as possible exploring Rome. When is your cruise? Ours is this October.

May 2023.  Staying two nights pre-cruise.  Still tossing around what we want to do post-cruise, whether to stay in Fiumicino the last night and take train into Rome for some last day exploring or stay somewhere nearby to experience a smaller city.  Please let me know your thoughts on Navona when you return.  

17 hours ago, RTR 21-0 said:

May 2023.  Staying two nights pre-cruise.  Still tossing around what we want to do post-cruise, whether to stay in Fiumicino the last night and take train into Rome for some last day exploring or stay somewhere nearby to experience a smaller city.  Please let me know your thoughts on Navona when you return.  

I certainly will.

• Thanks 1