Into the Midnight Sun: room + starboard/port side

THR

Hi all,

So we are planning our delayed trip from 2021 - and will be sailing in 2023 from London to Bergen. 

We originally had stateroom 4010, starboard side, but have booked a PV2 - room 5009. 

Unfortunately I think there isn’t a lot of choice now but does anyone have a view of the advantage of being on the starboard side for this itinerary or whether it really matters? I’m guessing it could be advantageous out of London and possibly when travelling south to Bergen (having travelled north)? 

Or equally, perhaps it doesn’t matter … 

Appreciate any thoughts. Also if anyone has had room 5009 before …

We did the Midnight Sun cruise in 2019 and we were in a PV on the port side (4017).  I don't know what the view from the other side was, but I remember being very happy with our view at every point in the journey.  There is a lot of amazing scenery in Norway but they are very good at letting you know when the scenic sailing will be taking place.  There were times when the Captain would pass a special sight (eg; the Seven Sisters waterfalls) and turn the ship around so it could be seen from the other side.  There is also great 'sight-seeing' from the Explorer's Lounge and the upper decks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molymoo said:

We did the Midnight Sun cruise in 2019 and we were in a PV on the port side (4017).  I don't know what the view from the other side was, but I remember being very happy with our view at every point in the journey.  There is a lot of amazing scenery in Norway but they are very good at letting you know when the scenic sailing will be taking place.  There were times when the Captain would pass a special sight (eg; the Seven Sisters waterfalls) and turn the ship around so it could be seen from the other side.  There is also great 'sight-seeing' from the Explorer's Lounge and the upper decks.

Even # = Port side : Odd # = Starboard side.   Just saying 😌 

We just returned from the Baltic / Midnight Sun (starting from London) cruise and found it doesn't really matter which side of the ship you are on. We were in 5109 at the rear of ship with views to both sides of the fjords. The fjords are narrow and beautiful on both sides. You will need to get up early though. Most of the transit through the fjords is very early. Of course, it is in day light exiting in the evenings. The captain did not do any 360's on our trip

Edited by BigBee51
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, THR said:

Hi all,

So we are planning our delayed trip from 2021 - and will be sailing in 2023 from London to Bergen. 

We originally had stateroom 4010, starboard side, but have booked a PV2 - room 5009. 

Unfortunately I think there isn’t a lot of choice now but does anyone have a view of the advantage of being on the starboard side for this itinerary or whether it really matters? I’m guessing it could be advantageous out of London and possibly when travelling south to Bergen (having travelled north)? 

Cabin 4010 was on the port side of the ship. Even numbers to port and odd numbers to stbd.

Personally, I've never found much difference in port/stbd side, as when cruising between ports the ship is so far offshore that you see little. When scenic cruising, I want to be up top, otherwise I miss 50% of the view.

Hi THR,

I agree with previous posts, doesn't really matter. We were in 5054, on the port side and had lovely views of the Norwegian coast on a sea day. Otherwise, don't remember having the feeling that we had missed something.

Regarding London, you want to be outside on the main deck when the ship leaves port. The passage through the locks is pretty amazing. Have a great trip !

• Like 1

We did Into the Midnight Sun this past June. We had a portside room. Going north, you are too far from land to see much of anything. Going south, we had many enjoyable views. In the fjords it doesn't matter since they are narrow.

9 hours ago, THR said:

Hi all,

We just got off the Midnight Sun from London to Bergen.  We were on the starboard side (6093). 

Personally I don't think it makes much difference on this or any cruises - because when you are sailing you are often quite a ways from land.  Also, for us, when you leave port and come into a port on approach, it is often so much better to be out on deck or up in the explorers lounge to view things.

Our favorite places were the 8th deck - fore and aft, as you can quickly walk from one side to the other.   This was especially worthwhile during the Fjord passages.

FYI - 4010 is port side, and 5009 is starboard.  We've been in both before and they are fine.

Couple other points:  the ships mostly dock on the starboard side.  Sometimes this is good as you can look out and see when the gangway is down and when people are exiting.  Laundry rooms are on the port side, so if on port side, less walking back and forth.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone! Not sure how I got the port/starboard mixed up. Must have misinterpreted the deck plan.

Glad it doesn’t really matter that much!

We will keep our room (5009). 

Also to answer a question - we are sailing June 2023. This is not only our first Viking cruise, but our first cruise!

Appreciate all your answers. 

6 hours ago, THR said:

Thank you everyone! Not sure how I got the port/starboard mixed up. Must have misinterpreted the deck plan.

Glad it doesn’t really matter that much!

We will keep our room (5009). 

Also to answer a question - we are sailing June 2023. This is not only our first Viking cruise, but our first cruise!

Appreciate all your answers. 

<fireworks>  You have chosen an absolutely FANTASTIC itinerary at the perfect time of the year for your  FIRST CRUISE EVER!!!

I hope that you have found the roll call for your sailing. If not, here's the link: Viking Venus Into the Midnight Sun 24 June 2023.

I am also chipping in with it doesn't matter.  And as to best side to dock, the Captain does not control that as much as the port.  It can change at the last minute and often does.  Face it, sometimes you get the mountain containing the views, other times you get a mountain of containers.  Still beats what you do in your day job......🥃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2022 at 7:33 PM, Peregrina651 said:

<fireworks>  You have chosen an absolutely FANTASTIC itinerary at the perfect time of the year for your  FIRST CRUISE EVER!!!

I hope that you have found the roll call for your sailing. If not, here's the link: Viking Venus Into the Midnight Sun 24 June 2023.

I am happy to read that as we are on that same cruise (although not our first)!

So while I was happy to stay with our original room, my partner really wanted to be on port side - so we switched to 8012 from 5009. While a lower category (there are no other PV rooms available on port side), seems we were a little lucky it was even available.

18 hours ago, THR said:

So while I was happy to stay with our original room, my partner really wanted to be on port side - so we switched to 8012 from 5009. While a lower category (there are no other PV rooms available on port side), seems we were a little lucky it was even available.

You’ve switched to an odd numbered room therefore you are now in a starboard room…. Do you mean so you can see the port when docked?