First time MSC - dining question

cricket200

Hi,

This is our first time on MSC - we are sailing out of Barcelona on the Grandiosa and I am meeting other family members on board. We have all chosen early dining but can I request that we all sit together? Would I do that before the cruise or when on-board?

Does it matter that my DH and I have the EasyPlus drinks package and they don't?

Thanks!

If only two people have a drink package and you want to dine with friends, doesn’t MSC require everyone dining together in a linked booking to have a drink package? I believe the rule is covered in the Terms & Conditions page for drink packages. Not sure if the rule is enforced?

34 minutes ago, eagletwo said:

If only two people have a drink package and you want to dine with friends, doesn’t MSC require everyone dining together in a linked booking to have a drink package? I believe the rule is covered in the Terms & Conditions page for drink packages. Not sure if the rule is enforced?

OP didn't mention the drinks angle. I know what you are saying is correct, but as we all know, MSC is not uniform in enforcement.  In the OP's case I would try ahead of boarding to get the seating I wanted.  It may or may not be solved.  Nothing ventured nothing gained.  If it doesn't work, then it's off to see the Maitre 'd right after boarding.

2 hours ago, hamrag said:

Actually, they did. 😉

Thank you.

Hi,

This is our first time on MSC - we are sailing out of Barcelona on the Grandiosa and I am meeting other family members on board. We have all chosen early dining but can I request that we all sit together? Would I do that before the cruise or when on-board?

Does it matter that my DH and I have the EasyPlus drinks package and they don't?

2 hours ago, eagletwo said:

Thank you.

Hi,

Is piling on ever appropriate?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eagletwo said:

Thank you.

Hi,

I really don't see why that would be a problem. The waiters will know that it is you has the package and the others don't!

20 hours ago, cricket200 said:

Hi,

Thanks!

Yes; they're usually flexible enough to permit those arrangements. I suggest you come early on boarding day and solve it onboard, once the website and their land services are not that great to deal with (actually their website and land services are their weakest points, IMHO). Regarding the drinks packages; official statement is that in order to link a reservation for same dining table you all need to have same packages, though for quite a while from now; word is that they're being more flexible on that, especially with the Brits and the Americans alike... So; why not?... 

Edited by Nunagoras

17 hours ago, hamrag said:

Actually, they did. 😉

Oops!  I have got to learn how to read to the end of a post!  Thanks for the gentle reprimand!

Edited by JAGR
  • Haha 1

Hey OP - under the T&Cs, as you have the drink package and your family don't, it's likely over the phone they won't. I had this issue with booking Aurea and friends booked Fantastica. I emailed them and they linked the booking - we want to be able to eat with with them and not just use the anytime dining.

If you have time, I would drop them an email. It appears to be more experienced / staff with more authority who answer emails. In my experience in the UK at least. Failing that, pop to the main dining room and they should be able to assist. 

Thank you all! I will email ahead and then face-to-face with a smile will be my back-up 🙂

Difficulty in the booking is I booked through the US site and my mom and sisters through the UK and Ireland sites so it wasn't possible to book all 5 cabins on the same booking.

If we can't link the dining then I guess it will be buffet😉

38 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Does anyone know why?  

I believe that is a safety measure in the side of the company to avoid abuses. Surely for the sake of some abusers, the ones who pay are one or the other way the vast majority of the honest costumers. TBHH: I understand those measures and tend to agree with them.

23 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

I believe that is a safety measure in the side of the company to avoid abuses. Surely for the sake of some abusers, the ones who pay are one or the other way the vast majority of the honest costumers. TBHH: I understand those measures and tend to agree with them.

I assume that passengers without linked reservations can sit at the same table without the same package, right?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I assume that passengers without linked reservations can sit at the same table without the same package, right?

As per my experience in Europe they use to join people in tables according to their drinks packages selection, though I read that they're more relaxed in the US.

9 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

As per my experience in Europe they use to join people in tables according to their drinks packages selection, though I read that they're more relaxed in the US.

Does that mean that if a couple buy the package onboard thier table assignement will be changed?

6 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Does that mean that if a couple buy the package onboard thier table assignement will be changed?

Probably, unless there is no option than to retain said couple on their original table. I don't know how things are being managed now, but a few years ago, after purchasing the package onboard you should go guest services to obtain a new cruise card, possibly with new table if available.

On 8/8/2022 at 4:19 PM, sverigecruiser said:

Does anyone know why?  

If one person uses their package to get a bottle of wine discount and that wine is then shared with people not entitled to the discount, MSC’s financials will be devastated. Not to mention if god forbid an evil cruisers gets a free cocktail with their package and it somehow ends up in the hands of a diner without a package. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, wcook said:

If one person uses their package to get a bottle of wine discount and that wine is then shared with people not entitled to the discount, MSC’s financials will be devastated.....

Devastated......really??!!