Silver Spirit

flare3192

We are not experienced cruisers. Did an AMA Waterways river cruise 5 years ago. We would like to see Greece and Turkey and have been looking at the May 9 Athens to Venice 24 day trip. I like the trip but when I look at reviews it seems Silver Seas has slipped in reputation. But it appears that way with most lines and I think Covid has had a lot to do with it. So I am wondering if I can get feedback on whether or not they are getting better and this cruise would be a good option. I have looked at Windstar and Seaborn and Variety and various other ships. It has been very confusing. If there is another line we should look at, please let me know. We do not want to be on a larger ship. I have, however, considered Viking but they do have 1,000 passengers. My husband would prefer 600 or less. 

Thanks for your input

All industries are struggling with service delivery these days but, based on a recent trip, SS employees are all truly outstanding, show a genuine concern for guests and appear to love what they do. You will say thank you hundreds of times a day.  My young kids even notice how amazing they are.  I read the reviews too and for the most part I feel that many of those people are just impossible to please. 

• Like 2

SS has some beautiful new ships in the size your husband may prefer.  I would think all the lines are getting mixed reviews right now mostly due to Covid staffing shortages, lighter loads and supply chain issues.  There are a lot of new staff on ships right now, too.  Some cruisers are bothered by this more than others and their reviews sometimes reflect it.  

You might consider Explora, a newer line that seems to be in the luxury category and small ship.  Regent ships are under 1000 pax and are considered in the same category as SS and Seabourn.  Ritz Carlton may finally have their first ship up and running by then and looks lovely but proceed with caution after all the delays. There are also Ponant and Hapag-Lloyd, French and German lines that are premium/luxury and smaller ships.  

So there are more than one ship in the sea!  Every line has their fervent cheerleaders here on CC but there’s lots of info to help you make a decision.  Your travel agent should be able to help guide you as well if they book a lot of cruises.

We went ,on Silver Spirit inApril and June and loved it.   Service and food very good.  I suggest to find out more about this ship go to You Tube and type Visit with us Silver Spirit.   They do really good reviews and ship tours and have actually

done seven on this ship - 4 blogs of their cruise, one tour of ship, one of their cabin and one on food and eating places.

In March we went on Seabourn Encore and did not rate it highly.

Happy sailing

We were on the Spirit in July in Greece and Turkey. We had a wondrful time and I can't say I have any complaints. I'd consider some in our group a little high maintainance, but the crew never batted an eye and were always wonderful. Though we've been on SS several times, this was our first time on the Spirit and it didn't disappoint. With the exception of masks and COVID testing, I'm honestly not sure I saw a real difference in experience from pre-COVID to COVID era.

If the itinerary is what you want and it's in the right budget, go for it. I don't think you'll be disappointed unless you go into it looking for faults. I hope you enjoy whatever you choose to do!

Now that the Silver Wind has gone to Silversea’s expedition fleet the Silver Spirit is our favorite of the classic fleet.  Been on her three times and loved every cruise.   Perfect is a high standard to reach but all three cruises have been close to that.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

Now that the Silver Wind has gone to Silversea’s expedition fleet the Silver Spirit is our favorite of the classic fleet.  Been on her three times and loved every cruise.   Perfect is a high standard to reach but all three cruises have been close to that.   

Randyk47, that's encouraging to hear your thoughts on the Spirit.  We are currently booked on the 2024 Grand South America on the new Nova, but have decided to do a voyage swap over to the 2024 Grand Africa/Arabia on the Spirit (Cape Town to Athens) and are really looking forward to this itinerary.  We'll save the trip to South America for later on down the road when we don't feel like spending 18+ hours on a plane.

Edited by CruzinFeraBruzin

19 hours ago, flare3192 said:

We are not experienced cruisers. Did an AMA Waterways river cruise 5 years ago. We would like to see Greece and Turkey and have been looking at the May 9 Athens to Venice 24 day trip. I like the trip but when I look at reviews it seems Silver Seas has slipped in reputation. But it appears that way with most lines and I think Covid has had a lot to do with it. So I am wondering if I can get feedback on whether or not they are getting better and this cruise would be a good option. I have looked at Windstar and Seaborn and Variety and various other ships. It has been very confusing. If there is another line we should look at, please let me know. We do not want to be on a larger ship. I have, however, considered Viking but they do have 1,000 passengers. My husband would prefer 600 or less. 

Thanks for your input

flare3192, we took our first Silversea cruise this past April and early May onboard the Moon which included many countries in the Mediterranean, including Greece, Turkey and Italy.  Unlike many on this forum who have sailed with Silversea in the past, we couldn't compare it to the service they provided to guests pre Covid or even going back to before they were acquired by Royal Caribbean.  We felt they did an outstanding job overall, given the challenges they faced with supply shortages and individual countries' Covid mandates that changed on a regular basis.   Their air department continues to be a source of irritation to many, including us, but if you can get past that, or just book your own air, then you won't be disappointed choosing Silversea. 

• Like 1

Just want you to know that I appreciate all your answers. I really like the Athens to Venice itinerary in May 2023. Its a long time to be on a ship -- 24 days -- but the places it goes are really interesting to me. Doing my own air ups the cost about $5,000 which is not a small amount so the fact that people have been unhappy with their air is important to me -- we do want to fly business and if they can do what we want that would help a lot.

• Like 1

@flare3192 That is a good-looking itinerary.  If as you say you are new to cruising, and you are planning to arrange your own air travel, always add a night or two at your port of embarkation, just in case of slip-ups en route.  Two or three nights in Athens seems like a good thing to do anyway.