Island Explorer Bus to Acadia Ntl Park

bren61

We are planning on taking the Free Island Explorer Shuttle to Acadia Ntl Park & was wondering how far of a walk it is to where we need to catch the bus?

Do we board the #3 Route bus to get to Hulls visitor center & is the visitor center before the entrance of the park so I can buy my pass?

Do we have to keep switching route buses along the way?

Here are the places we would like to stop: Visitor Ctr, Otter Cliffs, Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, Jordon Pond, Bubble Pond, (would like to stop at Schoodic Point, but I doubt there will be time). What is the best order to do these in according to the bus routes?

For anyone who has used the IES and stopped at the places I listed, is it doable in 6 hours, including travel time, if we don't linger long at each stop?

I would appreciate any other helpful info that I may have forgot to ask. This is our 1st Canada/New England Cruise, so I'm sure I'll be on here asking more questions about other ports too.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bren61 said:

We are planning on taking the Free Island Explorer Shuttle to Acadia Ntl Park & was wondering how far of a walk it is to where we need to catch the bus?

I was in Bar Harbor in May & will return in September. I have yet to use Island Explorer but intended to next month.

In May the cruise ship tender left us at 'Town Pier', from there it is a 5-10 minute walk to the 'Village Green' (both appear on Google maps)

Bus 3 which begins & ends at the Village Green does not go to the Visitor Center in Acadia. From the IE website bus 1 does stop at the VC from VG. Both routes run every 30 minutes on the :00 & :30. Routes 4 & 5 begin/end at the VC.  Routes 3, 4 & 5 have a common stop at 'North Ridge'. Routes 3 & 4 have a common stop at 'Sand Beach'. From what I have read, IE will stop along the road to pick up riders not just at the specific locations their route lists.

Hopefully someone who has used IE will contribute.

You will need to fill out ArriveCan be it online or via the app. You can begin the process as of today but cannot be fully completed until 72 hours prior to your travel. At our Canadian port, no departing cruiser was asked to provide proof. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

I was in Bar Harbor in May & will return in September. I have yet to use Island Explorer but intended to next month.

In May the cruise ship tender left us at 'Town Pier', from there it is a 5-10 minute walk to the 'Village Green' (both appear on Google maps)

Bus 3 which begins & ends at the Village Green does not go to the Visitor Center in Acadia. From the IE website bus 1 does stop at the VC from VG. Both routes run every 30 minutes on the :00 & :30. Routes 4 & 5 begin/end at the VC.  Routes 3, 4 & 5 have a common stop at 'North Ridge'. Routes 3 & 4 have a common stop at 'Sand Beach'. From what I have read, IE will stop along the road to pick up riders not just at the specific locations their route lists.

You will need to fill out ArriveCan be it online or via the app. You can begin the process as of today but cannot be fully completed until 72 hours prior to your travel. At our Canadian port, no departing cruiser was asked to provide proof. 

12 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

Thanks Meadowlander! When is your cruise in September? Maybe when you get back you can get back to me & let me know how the IE worked out for you. So you are saying that I need to get on Bus 1 to the visitor center, then get another bus, say the loop bus? I thought I would just get my senior pass the day of just in case the weather is bad or we miss that port for some reason so that is the main reason for the visitor center. So for a first timer, do I have the main things on our list of must sees?

7 minutes ago, bren61 said:

Thanks Meadowlander! When is your cruise in September? Maybe when you get back you can get back to me & let me know how the IE worked out for you. So you are saying that I need to get on Bus 1 to the visitor center, then get another bus, say the loop bus? 

Will report back, assuming I remember as I have another cruise a week after the Canada/NE cruise. I only see bus 1 departing from the Village Green going to the Visitor Center at Acadia. You could take bus 3 from VG to Sand Beach, since you want to go there and Otter Cliffs, then take bus 4 to Jordan Pond.  Allow for transfer times especially if on the return you have to go to the VC to get to VG.

This is my first time at Acadia too. I already have a NP pass, thought I read you can buy a pass at the Village Green but not certain. If you can, you can bypass the VC leaving bus 3 as the only option from VG.

The tender in May took nearly an hour from the ship to setting foot on Bar Harbor. The ride itself was 12-15 minutes but there was waiting on the ship & on the tender which added to the total time. Tender tickets were distributed at 2 different times the night prior. The first distribution line was very long, I gave up waiting after 20 minutes and this was prior to giving out the tickets. The second distribution had no line, received a 9:30 tender time. If you want to be on the island early, go to the first distribution at least 30 minutes before tickets are given out.

Oli's Trolley offers Acadia tours as does Acadia National Park Tours.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bren61 said:

I thought I would just get my senior pass the day of just in case the weather is bad or we miss that port for some reason so that is the main reason for the visitor center. 

From the IE site, you must have a pass to board the IE bus. Passes are sold online and at the Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce (which is located prior to the Village Green).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

From the IE site, you must have a pass to board the IE bus. Passes are sold online and at the Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce (which is located prior to the Village Green).

So will this work if we walk from the ship to Bar Harbor Chamber of Congress to buy pass then onto Village Green to get on Bus #1 to go to the Visitor Center.

From there get on Bus 4 (Loop Road) that will hit Sand Beach, Otter Cliffs (I think you have to walk to that), & Jordon Pond. Is Thunder Hole near Sand Beach or do we have to be on bus 3 for that? If that is the case we may have to do bus 3 from the visitor center then 4 to Jordon Pond.

This is crazy confusing to me, but I'm sure once someone has done it, they would think it's easy.

Our port time is 8:00-5:00. So we are probably looking at only having from 9:30-3:30 for actual tour time, am I correct?

It would be nice to be with someone who has been there before, sure would make things easier. I guess we will just do what we have time to see and plan to go back another time if it's a place we want to go back to.

2 hours ago, bren61 said:

Thanks Meadowlander! When is your cruise in September? Maybe when you get back you can get back to me & let me know how the IE worked out for you. So you are saying that I need to get on Bus 1 to the visitor center, then get another bus, say the loop bus? I thought I would just get my senior pass the day of just in case the weather is bad or we miss that port for some reason so that is the main reason for the visitor center. So for a first timer, do I have the main things on our list of must sees?

There was a park office on the Village Green.  We always stopped in there to pay our entrance fee and pick up maps.  Last time my sister did get a park pass there.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bren61 said:

So will this work if we walk from the ship to Bar Harbor Chamber of Congress to buy pass then onto Village Green to get on Bus #1 to go to the Visitor Center.

From there get on Bus 4 (Loop Road) that will hit Sand Beach, Otter Cliffs (I think you have to walk to that), & Jordon Pond. Is Thunder Hole near Sand Beach or do we have to be on bus 3 for that? If that is the case we may have to do bus 3 from the visitor center then 4 to Jordon Pond.

That is an option though to save time I think the better choice is bus 3 (Sand Beach route) from Village Green to the Sand Beach stop. The Ocean Path trail at Sand Beach takes you to Thunder Hole & Otter Point....

https://www.nps.gov/thingstodo/hike-ocean-path-trail.htm

Then depending on how much time remaining take bus 4 to Jordan Pond or bus 3 back to the VG. If you take bus 4 you will need to transfer at some point to return to VG.

I originally planned to do both but now based on time constraints will go only to Sand Beach for Thunder Hole & Otter Point and then return to Bar Harbor.

You are correct about the actual limited touring hours. In May the cruise ship indicated we should return 60 minutes not the usual 30 minutes prior to sail away.

Tenders were running past that 60 minute deadline & all were aboard when we departed Bar Harbor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

That is an option though to save time I think the better choice is bus 3 (Sand Beach route) from Village Green to the Sand Beach stop. The Ocean Path trail at Sand Beach takes you to Thunder Hole & Otter Point....

https://www.nps.gov/thingstodo/hike-ocean-path-trail.htm

Then depending on how much time remaining take bus 4 to Jordan Pond or bus 3 back to the VG. If you take bus 4 you will need to transfer at some point to return to VG.

I originally planned to do both but now based on time constraints will go only to Sand Beach for Thunder Hole & Otter Point and then return to Bar Harbor.

You are correct about the actual limited touring hours. In May the cruise ship indicated we should return 60 minutes not the usual 30 minutes prior to sail away.

Tenders were running past that 60 minute deadline & all were aboard when we departed Bar Harbor.

Thank you for the ocean path trail link. As much as I would love to do it, I don't think my husband can do the 4.4mile trek up & back, if there was a way to just hike there and be picked up and not have to hike back, I would consider it, but he has lung issues and will have his portable O2 with him. We were always very active but this past 2 years has been hard on him. You have been very helpful & will look forward to hearing how you make out. We aren't cruising till Sept 30th and our visit in Bar Harbor is on Sunday, October 3rd, so I hope to hear from you before then. Being there on a Sunday may be an issue also & more crowded, cruise ship plus locals off on the weekend may make it harder to get seating on the buses. Have a great cruise, what cruise line are you going on?

On 8/8/2022 at 11:12 PM, bren61 said:

We are planning on taking the Free Island Explorer Shuttle to Acadia Ntl Park & was wondering how far of a walk it is to where we need to catch the bus? Do we board the #3 Route bus to get to Hulls visitor center & is the visitor center before the entrance of the park so I can buy my pass? Do we have to keep switching route buses along the way?

Here are the places we would like to stop: Visitor Ctr, Otter Cliffs, Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, Jordon Pond, Bubble Pond, (would like to stop at Schoodic Point, but I doubt there will be time). What is the best order to do these in according to the bus routes?

In effect, there are two distinct starting points for Island Explorer bus routes. Routes 4 and 5 both begin at the Hulls Cove Visitor Center, which is convenient for motorists but rather distant from the center of Bar Harbor where most cruise passengers will begin their explorations. Route 4 operates very frequently, and completely circumnavigates the park road; route 5 provides a quick service to and from Jordan Pond. While you may eventually on one or both of these routes at some point in time, they're not really set up to be of much convenience to cruise passengers. Routes 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 9, 10, and 12 all begin at the Village Green, and are much more conveniently located for the cruise passenger. Routes 2 and 12 primarily serve the area hotels, and are unlikely to be of much use to cruise passengers. Routes 1, 6, 7, and 9 are longer-distance routes that serve surrounding communities, rather than the park itself, but may be an interesting diversion for cruise passengers. Routes 3 and 10 serve the park itself.

Several of your desired locations are accessible from the Village Green using route 3, which travels along the main park road: Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, and Otter Cliffs. This main park road is one-way, so you'll want to visit these locations in the order I have listed them in the prior sentence. Once at Sand Beach, both routes 3 and 4 continue onward to Thunder Hole and Otter Cliffs, so you can simply take whichever bus comes first indifferently. Continuing onward to Jordan Pond, only route 4 will provide that service. Then, from Jordan Pond, you can continue onward to Bubble Pond and the Hulls Cove Visitor Center by either of routes 4 and 5. Finally, use route 1 from the Hulls Cove Visitor Center to return to the Village Green.

While this is the most efficient order to visit the various points of interest, it does mean that the Visitor Center itself is the last stop. Were you to make the Visitor Center your first stop, then you would begin on route 1, from the Village Green to the Hulls Cove Visitor Center. Then continue on route 4 to Sand Beach and all the remaining stops as enumerated above. It also means that you would conclude at the Hulls Cove Visitor Center, using route 1 to travel back to the Village Green. Overall, this is a bit less efficient than the plan in the paragraph above, so follow this plan only if stopping at the visitor center first is important.

Schoodic Point is on the other side of Frenchman Bay, and you would need to travel by ferry from Bar Harbor to Winter Harbor. Once on the other side you could use route 8 to get around the point. The ferry operates every two hours (you'll find the ferry schedule incorporated into the route 8 bus timetable). Unless the time you have at Bar Harbor is lengthy, it will likely be a challenge to schedule in a ferry trip in addition to the main park travel.

If you desire to purchase a park pass, then you can do so from the National Park Service building on the Village Green.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

What is at the visitor center that it would be important for us to stop there at the beginning as opposed to the end? I would like to get our National Park stamp and I am assuming that is where I would get that. 

If I am getting my Senior pass to enter the park is there 2 places that sell the pass, Bar Harbor Chamber of Congress & National Park Building in Village Green. Not sure if the are the same or 2 separate places & if they are, which one is more convenient to go to from the cruise ship?

After reading all of the comments, I think our best plan would be to go to get our pass then catch Bus #3 to Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, & Otter Cliffs. If there is enough time, catch Bus #4 and go to Jordon Pond, Bubble Pond & the Visitor Center. Then Bus #1 back to Village Green.

We would have liked to tried the Lunch at West Street Cafe, but I don't think there will be time. (Oh well, just another reason to go back at some point)

I

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2022 at 11:02 PM, bren61 said:

Thank you for the ocean path trail link. As much as I would love to do it, I don't think my husband can do the 4.4mile trek up & back, if there was a way to just hike there and be picked up and not have to hike back, I would consider it, but he has lung issues and will have his portable O2 with him. We were always very active but this past 2 years has been hard on him. You have been very helpful & will look forward to hearing how you make out. We aren't cruising till Sept 30th and our visit in Bar Harbor is on Sunday, October 3rd, so I hope to hear from you before then. Being there on a Sunday may be an issue also & more crowded, cruise ship plus locals off on the weekend may make it harder to get seating on the buses. Have a great cruise, what cruise line are you going on?

Perhaps your husband can make it to Thunder Hole which is .07 mile from the start of the Ocean Path trail. Bus 3 stops at Thunder Hole, so you would not have to hike back. From reading, the Ocean Path is an easy trail with only 17 feet change in elevation which is why I chose it. I will ask if it is possible to board the bus close to Otter Point, it will benefit me too if it is possible.

In September, I will be on the same ship as your"s in October the same ship as in May, the ship that posted a 60 minute back on board time (that was not enforced) the same ship that distributed tender tickers twice the night prior. The day we arrive, the town will be more crowded than on a Sunday. I should be able to give you an update when I return.

Edited by meadowlander
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, bren61 said:

After reading all of the comments, I think our best plan would be to go to get our pass then catch Bus #3 to Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, & Otter Cliffs. If there is enough time, catch Bus #4 and go to Jordon Pond, Bubble Pond & the Visitor Center. Then Bus #1 back to Village Green.

Yes, the order of sites enumerated is practicable and most efficient. But with the caveats that, (1) between Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, and Otter Cliffs, both routes 3 and 4 provide service, and you can board whichever bus route comes first, and (2) between Jordan Pond, Bubble Pond, and the visitor center, both routes 4 and 5 provide service, and you can board whichever bus route comes first.

Whether or not you will actually have time to complete the full loop as desired depends, of course, on the amount of time available in Bar Harbor, the amount time allocated to each stop, and timeliness and capacity of the buses themselves. Whether it is more important to devote maximum visiting time to the park itself, or to cut back on park time so as to be able to devote some time to an in-town restaurant, is a personal decision. It would be easy for me to decide for myself because (1) I view the park as individually unique, while restaurants are fairly commonplace, and (2) I despise seafood, which seems to be the specialty of the West Street Café (merely viewing its menu posted online started making me queasy). Your perceptions may differ from mine.

I cannot advise on the benefit, if any, in stopping in at the visitor center before, as opposed to after visiting the other park sites. Some people really like viewing exhibits and talking with park rangers, prior to visiting the park itself, in order to enhance their interpretation of the park. The park service itself explains that the Hulls Cove Visitor Center allows one to "purchase your entrance pass, speak with a ranger about planning your visit, use self-service maps, enjoy art from our Artist-In-Residence program, and shop at the Park Store." To the extent that any additional in-person advice is required before visiting, you should be able to receive that from the park service information center at the Village Green. I cannot say at what locations park stamps (presumably for your park "passport") are available.

The chamber of commerce has an information center in the heart of the commercial area of Bar Harbor, at the intersection of Main Street and Cottage Street. The park service has an information center at the Village Green, on Firefly Lane between Main Street and Kennebec Street. Whether you decide to purchase a park pass or not is, of course, a personal decision. Note that park visitors who travel by automobile display their pass on a hangtag within their vehicle when parking within the park, and do not have a park pass with them personally when visiting park sites or using park buses. It is virtually impossible to distinguish among inviduals visiting the park who had traveled by automobile and have left their park pass within their vehicle, from those visiting the park who had not traveled by automobile and are carrying their park pass on their person. As one person explained on another board: "If you, or your child, is asked if they have purchased a park pass, just explain. Does this make it possible to cheat? Yes, but please don't."

• Like 1

We used the Island Explorer buses several years ago while on a cruise.  

Walk up Main St. to the Village Green.  Check in at the visitors booth where you can buy the Park Entrance Pass.  Or, if you have one, bring a National Park Pass. Take Island Explorer Bus #3 (leaves every half hour beginning at 9 am from the Village Green) to Thunder Hole.  Hike the Ocean Path back to Sand Beach, visiting Thunder Hole on the way.   From Sand Beach take Bus # 4 (leaves every 20 minutes beginning at 9:35 am) to Jordan Pond.  Have lunch here by the lake.  Very good chowder and popovers.  Return to town on bus # 4 or 5 and check out the shops.

The Island Explorer free bus website is at https://www.exploreacadia.com/index.html

You can find maps and bus schedules there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, GTJ said:

Yes, the order of sites enumerated is practicable and most efficient. But with the caveats that, (1) between Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, and Otter Cliffs, both routes 3 and 4 provide service, and you can board whichever bus route comes first, and (2) between Jordan Pond, Bubble Pond, and the visitor center, both routes 4 and 5 provide service, and you can board whichever bus route comes first.

Whether or not you will actually have time to complete the full loop as desired depends, of course, on the amount of time available in Bar Harbor, the amount time allocated to each stop, and timeliness and capacity of the buses themselves. Whether it is more important to devote maximum visiting time to the park itself, or to cut back on park time so as to be able to devote some time to an in-town restaurant, is a personal decision. It would be easy for me to decide for myself because (1) I view the park as individually unique, while restaurants are fairly commonplace, and (2) I despise seafood, which seems to be the specialty of the West Street Café (merely viewing its menu posted online started making me queasy). Your perceptions may differ from mine.

I cannot advise on the benefit, if any, in stopping in at the visitor center before, as opposed to after visiting the other park sites. Some people really like viewing exhibits and talking with park rangers, prior to visiting the park itself, in order to enhance their interpretation of the park. The park service itself explains that the Hulls Cove Visitor Center allows one to "purchase your entrance pass, speak with a ranger about planning your visit, use self-service maps, enjoy art from our Artist-In-Residence program, and shop at the Park Store." To the extent that any additional in-person advice is required before visiting, you should be able to receive that from the park service information center at the Village Green. I cannot say at what locations park stamps (presumably for your park "passport") are available.

The chamber of commerce has an information center in the heart of the commercial area of Bar Harbor, at the intersection of Main Street and Cottage Street. The park service has an information center at the Village Green, on Firefly Lane between Main Street and Kennebec Street. Whether you decide to purchase a park pass or not is, of course, a personal decision. Note that park visitors who travel by automobile display their pass on a hangtag within their vehicle when parking within the park, and do not have a park pass with them personally when visiting park sites or using park buses. It is virtually impossible to distinguish among inviduals visiting the park who had traveled by automobile and have left their park pass within their vehicle, from those visiting the park who had not traveled by automobile and are carrying their park pass on their person. As one person explained on another board: "If you, or your child, is asked if they have purchased a park pass, just explain. Does this make it possible to cheat? Yes, but please don't."

GTJ,

Thank you! You have been very informative and helpful. Visiting the sites is definitely our priority over a restaurant. We will take a some snacks with us to hold us over just in case we don't have enough time to stop to eat, as that can take up an hour of our time just for that.

Even though my husband has a Lifetime pass, I will be sure to stop and get a pass for me to board the bus, I wouldn't think of trying to cheat, lol! I know if we were in our own car I would be included on his pass, but since we are taking the bus, I know I am not included. We will stop at the Village Green at the info center to get our pass as that seems like it will be more convenient. 

I do have another question about Thunder Hole & Otter Cliff. Will the bus drop us at each stop? I know some are saying about walking from Sand beach to TH & OC, but my husband will have his portable O2 with him and although he can do some walking, I don't want to wear him out on a long walk. I just wasn't sure if the bus stops at each place individually or they drop you off at Sand Beach and the only way you can get to the others is by walking.

1 hour ago, bren61 said:

Even though my husband has a Lifetime pass, I will be sure to stop and get a pass for me to board the bus, I wouldn't think of trying to cheat, lol! I know if we were in our own car I would be included on his pass, but since we are taking the bus, I know I am not included.

You may want to re-visit your assumption. From the National Park Service: "The Senior Passes admit pass owner/s and passengers in a noncommercial vehicle at per-vehicle fee areas and pass owner plus three adults, not to exceed four adults, where per-person fees are charged." http://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/senior-pass-changes.htm There is nothing stopping persons accompanying a senior pass holder from paying additional fees--the government appreciates all the money its citizens voluntarily donate to it--but there is neither a legal nor a moral obligation to do so.

From a public policy perspective, the National Park Service has taken the correct position. Would it make any sense to allow all occupants of a motor vehicle, where a senior pass holder is among the occupants, but to demand fees to be paid if those same individuals were not in an automobile? Obviously, persons using motor vehicles impose greater impacts on a park environment than those same persons not using motor vehicles. The non-use of motor vehicles ought to be encouraged, or at least not penalized by the imposition of additional fees. The National Park Service has not always done this well, but at least in this case, of senior pass usage, it has done so correctly by not demanding additional fees from persons accompanying on foot a senior pass holder.

1 hour ago, bren61 said:

I do have another question about Thunder Hole & Otter Cliff. Will the bus drop us at each stop? * * * I just wasn't sure if the bus stops at each place individually or they drop you off at Sand Beach and the only way you can get to the others is by walking.

From Island Explorer: "Our buses will stop anywhere along the route that the driver deems safe. Please choose a spot with a good shoulder and good sight lines. Flag the bus with two hands. If you are on a bus and want to get off at a place other than a designated stop, please inform the driver when you board the bus. They will stop at the nearest safe place." http://www.exploreacadia.com/questions.html That is to say, Island Explorer is a typical public transportation system, and you can travel from any point to any other point, whether there is a marked bus stop or not. Walk if you feel fit; ride if you do not want to, or cannot, walk.

Edited by GTJ
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 11:57 PM, GTJ said:

If you desire to purchase a park pass, then you can do so from the National Park Service building on the Village Green.

In 2021, this building was closed. The nps.gov website does not list the village green as a purchase location. You can purchase at the Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce on Cottage Street (Third party seller).

You can also buy a pass online at:

https://www.nps.gov/acad/planyourvisit/fees.htm

According to NPS.gov you can also buy at the Jordan Pond Gift Shop (third party), which is a little bit out of order, but as long as you buy your pass, they don't care when during the day you do so. The old practice was to ticket cars without a pass and allow the driver to buy a pass to cancel the ticket. The IE bus driver doesn't check because most everyone leaves their pass in their car.

As stated by others above, I also don't recommend taking the #1 bus to the Visitor Center from the Village Green as that is in the wrong direction of the main loop. It's mainly a hub for people driving cars onto the island who need a place to park.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2022 at 5:39 PM, Orsino said:

According to NPS.gov you can also buy at the Jordan Pond Gift Shop (third party), which is a little bit out of order, but as long as you buy your pass, they don't care when during the day you do so. The old practice was to ticket cars without a pass and allow the driver to buy a pass to cancel the ticket. The IE bus driver doesn't check because most everyone leaves their pass in their car.

Most everyone leaves their pass in their automobile because there is an obligation to do so, if the automobile is parked within the park, and a ticket might issue to the parked automobile otherwise. For park visitors not using an automobile, it really amounts to an honor system. Visitors choose or not to comply with the requirement, perhaps influenced by the amount of effort needed to do so. It seems to me that it would be a case of the tail wagging the dog if persons in the center of Bar Harbor felt compelled to go out of their way to find a pass seller and pay for a park pass before boarding the bus. Enforcement is likely hampered by Fourth Amendment considerations (it seems likely that police would not be able to just randomly stop individuals demanding park passes absent probable cause . . . there have been several recent cases on this subject involving the inspection transit fare payment receipts). In sum, the National Park Service does not have a very good system in effect, though it is hard to imagine any system that could be any more reasonably effective.

On 8/19/2022 at 5:39 PM, Orsino said:

As stated by others above, I also don't recommend taking the #1 bus to the Visitor Center from the Village Green as that is in the wrong direction of the main loop. It's mainly a hub for people driving cars onto the island who need a place to park.

The raison d'être is parking for visitors not needing to go into the center of Bar Harbor itself. An intercept lot to reduce traffic congestion in Bar Harbor. But it has had the effect of having the main park bus routes--routes 4 and 5--oriented to the motorists parking at the visitor center, leaving visitors in the center Bar Harbor itself with relatively poor bus service into the park (routes 3 and 10). Reliance on route 1 to reach the visitor center is an inefficient time-waster, since it goes in the "wrong direction." Again, this is the the National Park Service at work, which generally caters to automobilists, with pedestrians and users of public transportation (including persons traveling by cruise vessel) as afterthought.

I think the NPS does a decent job with the Acadia park pass, especially given the "openness" of Acadia National Park compared to other parks. Because Acadia was granted land, the roads and access points can't all be gated as there are far too many of them. This results in being able to drive into the park without going through a manned gate. I also think they are reasonable in issuing parking tickets with instructions on how to buy a park pass and cancel the ticket.

I do agree that communication of what pedestrians are supposed to do could be better. The fact that a pedestrian pass exists always confused me as we buy a vehicle pass, but sometimes opt to leave our car in Bar Harbor. (We are not required to buy both, but it feels weird not having anything when walking into the park since the vehicle pass is in Bar Harbor)

As for Island Explorer, the routes were terrific until Covid. Now, for Bar Harbor, the main thing "missing" is direct service between the Village Green and Jordan Pond House. (We tourists need our popovers). But, you know, covid.

Also Island Explorer is not associated with the NPS. In other words, park pass payment doesn't pay for the Island Explorer. Its funding comes from elsewhere. It's a free service, so I don't complain. Imagine everyone in Bar Harbor having to drive or hire a taxi. eeek!

The other great thing about Island Explorer, is you can plan an open ended hike. That's what we are planning to do for our Bar Harbor port day. (if it doesn't rain)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Orsino said:

Also Island Explorer is not associated with the NPS. In other words, park pass payment doesn't pay for the Island Explorer. Its funding comes from elsewhere.

Are you certain about that? The report from the Federal Transit Administration several years ago, http://www.transit.dot.gov/sites/fta.dot.gov/files/2021-03/Downeast.pdf, states that funding for Island Explorer service comes from the National Park Service, as well as from FTA rural funds (section 5311), FTA jobs access funds (section 5316), local businesses (local L.L. Bean), and municipalities. The National Park Service states on its website, http://www.nps.gov/acad/planyourvisit/island-explorer.htm. that "[i]n 2022, proceeds from the sale of the Acadia annual pass and seven-day entrance passes covered 60 percent of the cost of operating the Island Explorer bus system." I have not reviewed the relevant National Transit Database filings for the Island Explorer service (which might not be especially useful anyway if the Island Explorer service is combined in the reporting with other Downeast Transportation routes and services), but it would be remarkable if both the FTA and the NPS were wrong in their general reporting of funding sources.

No. I'm not sure. The Island Explorer webpage makes no mention of it and specifically states "The Island Explorer is not Acadia National Park."

I suppose it would make sense that NPS supports the Island Explorer, but they certainly make efforts to keep them separate.

On 8/22/2022 at 5:32 PM, Orsino said:

The Island Explorer webpage makes no mention of it and specifically states "The Island Explorer is not Acadia National Park." I suppose it would make sense that NPS supports the Island Explorer, but they certainly make efforts to keep them separate.

There are many public transportation systems where certain services receive financial support from the business(es) served. And in those situations, the sponsoring businesses are separate from the public transportation system, even though the buses used may highlight or promote the businesses served. There are very few places where the NPS, itself, operates the public transportation system. (One such example is Isle Royale National Park, where the NPS itself operates the Ranger III, a vessel that provides transportation between the park and Houghton, Michigan.)

That sponsorship arrangement  seems to be what is going on here. I looked up the most recent annual agency profile for Downeast Transportation, Inc., from the National Transit Database, http://www.transit.dot.gov/sites/fta.dot.gov/files/transit_agency_profile_doc/2020/1R03-10175.pdf, and it shows that for the fiscal year 2020, of the $3 million annual operating expenses, just over one-half of the operating funds (nearly $1.6 million) come from "local funds." About 40 percent comes from federal (FTA) assistance, and the remainder from fares collected and a tiny amount (1 percent) from the state.Of those local funds, I cannot image that Hancock County or the Town of Bar Harbor would would be able to provide that much funding from the public trough . . . most certainly this is where financial support from the NPS and local businesses gets accounted (alas, the NTD does not collect more specific data here).

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 10:57 PM, GTJ said:

".......In effect, there are two distinct starting points for Island Explorer bus routes. .... Routes 1, 6, 7, and 9 are longer-distance routes that serve surrounding communities, rather than the park itself, but may be an interesting diversion for cruise passengers. Routes 3 and 10 serve the park itself....."

GTJ, I am interested in your comment about routes 1/6/7/9.....we have a tour of Acadia National Park already booked on one day, and on a second day, are interested in using the public bus to do some other exploring.  Can you make suggestions on what bus route might be the best to take? We are two seniors, hubby doesn't walk distances very well.  We'd like to ride the bus for some more exploration, and overall are on the NCL Breakaway in late September. We'd be happy to get off and wander a little, then take the bus to return to port.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, M5M said:

I am interested in your comment about routes 1/6/7/9.....we have a tour of Acadia National Park already booked on one day, and on a second day, are interested in using the public bus to do some other exploring.

I cannot give too much good qualitative advice as to specific destinations--others might better respond to those concerns--but I can give some logistical advice. An important consideration is whether mobility issues require using the bus itself as the sole sightseeing venue; or if you're able to alight from the bus in an interesting community, walk around a little bit (not too much), and then re-board later on. Easiest to comment on is route 9: labor shortages have caused the bus company to suspend service along this route. Route 1 likely has less of interest to see. Routes 6 and 7 are likely to be of greatest interest.

Route 7 will take you from the Village Green out to Southwest Harbor, a pleasant small New England community. Smaller than Bar Harbor, but a pleasant ride there. You could alight on Main Street, at Clark Point Road (there's a flashing signal at the intersection), stroll around a bit, and return from the across the street at a later time. This bus route operates hourly, leaving the Village Green on the hour, and the ride to and from Southwest Harbor takes about 30 to 40 minutes each way. Generally, you would have 30 minutes, 1 hour 30 minutes, 2 hours 30 minutes, etc., from the time of arrival at Southwest Harbor before a bus leaves for the return to the Village Green. Also, while in Southwest Harbor, there is a shuttle service, route 11, that makes a loop throughout the area, via the community of Bernard, that could provide some additional sightseeing. It is a 40-minute bus loop, departing Southwest Harbor hourly at 20 minutes past the hour in the morning, through 11:20 a.m., and at 50 minutes past the hour in the afternoon from 12:50 p.m. onward.

Route 6 offers interesting options because it goes from the Village Green to the community of Northeast Harbor, and then it continues onward to Jordan Pond within the park itself. This bus route also operates hourly, leaving the Village Green at 15 minutes past each hour in the morning, up until 12:15 p.m., then resuming at 1:45 p.m. at 45 minutes past each hour. It is about 30 minutes to Northeast Harbor. You could stop off for an hour or two at Northeast Village (or just remain on the bus without alighting) and continue onward to Jordan Pond . . . that trip is another 15 minutes. This would be particularly attractive if you will not have seen Jordan Pond on the prior day, or if you did see it the prior day then to return at your own leisure and not as part of a tour. From Jordan Pond you could either (1) return to the Village Green on route 6, or (2) continue onward using either route 4 or route 5 to the visitor center at Hulls Cove (these routes operate frequently, on average about every 12 minutes for the 20-minute ride), then change to route 1 from the visitor center back to the Village Green (this route is hourly, departing the visitor center at 10 minutes past the hour, for the 10 minute trip to the Village Green).

What option(s) you choose, it would likely be best to print out copies of the full timetables to bring with you.