Shocking...just Shocking??

kjwinston2019

🤷‍♂️ I charge my kindle and tablet before I board (and pre-download books and netflix shows) - Then these go on aeroplane mode and the charge lasts my whole trip 🙂

My phone gets charged overnight and my earbuds get charged during the day. 

If your devices don't need to be connected I highly recommend using aeroplane mode as much as possible, really does save your battery.

On 8/15/2022 at 12:24 PM, markeb said:

I'm curious, too. You're the only person on the thread that I remember actually saying what they were charging and I'd like to understand.

What are you using the 3 socket strip for? Everything you're carrying, except probably the laptop, will charge on one USB C/A hub without carrying the original charging adapters. There are plenty of portable hubs that will give you two high wattage (25-65W) USB C ports and 3-4 (and sometimes more) USB A ports. That should easily charge two phones and two kindles at the same time from one outlet. The Schuko (type E/F) adapter will give you an extra outlet in the cabin for any of your multivoltage electronics (they pretty much all are) like the laptop and save the space of a power strip. Most phone makers don't even supply adapters anymore. They assume you'll use your old one, or a hub. Even the cables, if supplied, will detach and work on a hub.

If it works for you, great, but I'd never do what you're doing. I just carry a USB hub and if travelling internationally, an adapter for the country I'm traveling to.

We, too, are amongst those who take perhaps more "charging stuff" than we need to. Redarding:

There are plenty of portable hubs that will give you two high wattage (25-65W) USB C ports and 3-4 (and sometimes more) USB A ports.

Would you be good to post an Amazon link to a device or two that you are describing in your post?

3 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

We, too, are amongst those who take perhaps more "charging stuff" than we need to. Redarding:

There are plenty of portable hubs that will give you two high wattage (25-65W) USB C ports and 3-4 (and sometimes more) USB A ports.

Would you be good to post an Amazon link to a device or two that you are describing in your post?

On an iPad or I’d post the link, but post 53 in this thread is an example. If you need fewer ports, there are some really compact versions as well. I’ll find one of those and post later. 

I’d go with a detachable cord. The foldable plugs look really nice, but they pull out of the outlets. 

I said I'd do this, then I'm probably going to consider this horse dead...

A couple of key concepts. The use of Gallium Nitride (GaN) in semiconductors appears to have revolutionized the use of small footprint chargers. Many companies make multiple output USB chargers. The ones I'm talking about will have 2-3 USB C/PD (power delivery) ports. Most will provide 65-100W total charging capacity, but use smart technology to split the available power. So a 100W hub probably won't let you charge two 45W devices. But most consumer electronics are in the 15-25W range. Samsung has a smart charging technology that I'm just not that familiar with, If you have a Samsung device and want to use the fast charge, you need to be sure the hub is compatible.

There are portable chargers with folding plugs that plug directly into the outlet. I would NOT buy one of these. They tend to pull out of the outlet once you plug in cords. The corded models use a standard removable electronics cord, just like most laptop bricks. They'll sit nicely on the counter in a cruise cabin, or most bedside stands in a hotel room. They're 110-240V, so you can use them worldwide with the right adapter. And they're two pronged, non-surge protected.

I have one similar to this:

61PJ2NP9muL._AC_SL1500_.jpghttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JZG32SW/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?pd_rd_i=B09JZG32SW&pd_rd_w=3hsro&content-id=amzn1.sym.999c0877-3704-4f0f-9726-eebf80846a35&pf_rd_p=999c0877-3704-4f0f-9726-eebf80846a35&pf_rd_r=GK4SQYZQZDKKHPTXTDGX&pd_rd_wg=n2bvu&pd_rd_r=812b7d8c-621b-4534-afcc-25a09122f6ff&s=wireless&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFPUzlFMTVXSlpXVUUmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAyNzQzNTRBR0ZMQ0FKMlpMRDcmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDAxNDU5NTFGNjgzM0VIRzVKVzMmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

It's about 3 inches long and 1.61 inches square on the end. You can charge an Apple and some Dell laptops that use USB C (PD) cables. It's perfect for an iPad Pro and and iPhone, and a Fitbit. You can get adapters like this:

61uW--XiIfL._AC_SL1500_.jpgfor charging your camera batteries by USB C (search Amazon for your battery type). You can charge your camera batteries while you're out and about with your iPhone or iPad. 

This hub will give you 3 USB C and 3 USB A ports for charging (I don't think it's a GaN charger). Not for laptops:

51nmb7Dk5EL._AC_SL1273_.jpg

71cKxI+DZML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Sacrack-Charging-Station-Portable/dp/B09GJXVHVK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=KPAESP9YYE25&keywords=usb%2Bc%2Bcharging%2Bhub%2Bfor%2Bmultiple%2Bdevices&qid=1660686951&s=electronics&sprefix=usb%2Bc%2Bcharging%2Bhub%2Celectronics%2C138&sr=1-4&th=1

There are plenty of others. Just search for USB C charging hubs on Amazon. I like Anker, but there are a number of good chargers on the market.

There are only a  handful of cables left on the market. If your device accepts USB C or came with a USB C adapter, then you're looking at USB C to USB C, USB C to Lightning (iPhone), and USB C to Micro USB. If it's a low wattage device, then it's probably USB A to Lightning (will be slow for newer iPhones) and USB A to Micro USB. I have a small USB C Qi charger (wireless charger) I use for my iPhone, but could just as easily use a USB C to Lightning cable. Newer iPads use USB C to USB C. Newer iPhones use USB C to Lightning.

Those will all allow you to charge 4-6 electronics with one outlet. With a Type E/F adapter, you can use them on the European 2-prong outlet in the cabin. I'd tend to say that GaN is nice, but not critical. It does allow for the really smaller chargers like the first one I linked. And it makes for small high wattage chargers that I didn't link.

That's one outlet and a gadget bag maybe 4 X 4 X 1. Maybe 4 cables. Maybe a Fitbit charger. No need for a power strip for charging electronics. I completely get the power strip for medical equipment, but would tend to request it from Celebrity, unless you're traveling on land before or after the cruise.

25 minutes ago, markeb said:

A couple of key concepts. The use of Gallium Nitride (GaN) in semiconductors appears to have revolutionized the use of small footprint chargers. Many companies make multiple output USB chargers. The ones I'm talking about will have 2-3 USB C/PD (power delivery) ports. Most will provide 65-100W total charging capacity, but use smart technology to split the available power. So a 100W hub probably won't let you charge two 45W devices. But most consumer electronics are in the 15-25W range. Samsung has a smart charging technology that I'm just not that familiar with, If you have a Samsung device and want to use the fast charge, you need to be sure the hub is compatible.

There are portable chargers with folding plugs that plug directly into the outlet. I would NOT buy one of these. They tend to pull out of the outlet once you plug in cords. The corded models use a standard removable electronics cord, just like most laptop bricks. They'll sit nicely on the counter in a cruise cabin, or most bedside stands in a hotel room. They're 110-240V, so you can use them worldwide with the right adapter. And they're two pronged, non-surge protected.

61PJ2NP9muL._AC_SL1500_.jpghttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JZG32SW/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?pd_rd_i=B09JZG32SW&pd_rd_w=3hsro&content-id=amzn1.sym.999c0877-3704-4f0f-9726-eebf80846a35&pf_rd_p=999c0877-3704-4f0f-9726-eebf80846a35&pf_rd_r=GK4SQYZQZDKKHPTXTDGX&pd_rd_wg=n2bvu&pd_rd_r=812b7d8c-621b-4534-afcc-25a09122f6ff&s=wireless&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFPUzlFMTVXSlpXVUUmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAyNzQzNTRBR0ZMQ0FKMlpMRDcmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDAxNDU5NTFGNjgzM0VIRzVKVzMmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

It's about 3 inches long and 1.61 inches square on the end. You can charge an Apple and some Dell laptops that use USB C (PD) cables. It's perfect for an iPad Pro and and iPhone, and a Fitbit. You can get adapters like this:

61uW--XiIfL._AC_SL1500_.jpgfor charging your camera batteries by USB C (search Amazon for your battery type). You can charge your camera batteries while you're out and about with your iPhone or iPad. 

This hub will give you 3 USB C and 3 USB A ports for charging (I don't think it's a GaN charger). Not for laptops:

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Sacrack-Charging-Station-Portable/dp/B09GJXVHVK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=KPAESP9YYE25&keywords=usb%2Bc%2Bcharging%2Bhub%2Bfor%2Bmultiple%2Bdevices&qid=1660686951&s=electronics&sprefix=usb%2Bc%2Bcharging%2Bhub%2Celectronics%2C138&sr=1-4&th=1

There are plenty of others. Just search for USB C charging hubs on Amazon. I like Anker, but there are a number of good chargers on the market.

There are only a  handful of cables left on the market. If your device accepts USB C or came with a USB C adapter, then you're looking at USB C to USB C, USB C to Lightning (iPhone), and USB C to Micro USB. If it's a low wattage device, then it's probably USB A to Lightning (will be slow for newer iPhones) and USB A to Micro USB. I have a small USB C Qi charger (wireless charger) I use for my iPhone, but could just as easily use a USB C to Lightning cable. Newer iPads use USB C to USB C. Newer iPhones use USB C to Lightning.

Those will all allow you to charge 4-6 electronics with one outlet. With a Type E/F adapter, you can use them on the European 2-prong outlet in the cabin. I'd tend to say that GaN is nice, but not critical. It does allow for the really smaller chargers like the first one I linked. And it makes for small high wattage chargers that I didn't link.

That's one outlet and a gadget bag maybe 4 X 4 X 1. Maybe 4 cables. Maybe a Fitbit charger. No need for a power strip for charging electronics. I completely get the power strip for medical equipment, but would tend to request it from Celebrity, unless you're traveling on land before or after the cruise.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

MUCH appreciated. 

9 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

Thanks, I understand what I should be doing now.

Dating myself, but that translates, roughly, to

Reddy Kilowatt says: "Live better electrically!"

(literally, "Live better on electricity!").  It's as close as I could get to the old advertising they did when I was a kid!

The advice regarding not trying to use most of the larger USB charging devices that plug directly into the AC without any intermediate cord are good.  The 'boxes' they are installing on the countertops of X ships these days hold cords OK but not large charging 'blocks'.  And outlets like the ones in the RS on the old M Class ships under the dressing table point down, and just ask for something to fall out of the socket (not a brilliant design, that), especially if whatever it is isn't feather light.  So some kind of cable extension is just about required in these circumstances.

5 hours ago, markeb said:

Just ordered one. Looking forward to simplifying and modernizing my charging gear

Thanks again. 

image.thumb.png.1db240a4b3c79285150667eac7ca15b0.png

On 8/14/2022 at 3:53 AM, KatieDub said:

I never understand the need for a power extender... How many devices are you guys charging 🤪

DH and I charge our phones, kindles, tablets, smart watches, wireless earphones. We bring a non surge protected, multi-port USB charger and plug it into the European outlet at the desk with an adapter. That frees up the 2 US outlets for other things. We tend to take longer cruises that are often combined with land vacations added before and/or after.