Queen Anne outdoor spaces

ballroom-cruisers

Looking at the K'dam picture then it's so narrow, then using promenade deck for exercise, by which I don't mean running but not dawdling along will be impossible unless you get up at 6am. Especially as there will be 3000 people on board.

Might as well not have it.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 2:15 PM, ballroom-cruisers said:

I just got an email from Cunard advertising the wonderful outdoor spaces on Queen Anne - when I looked at the pictures I was horrified - there is pretty much no shade at all - it is fine for those who want to boil to a cinder in the sun, but what about those of us who like being on deck but not in the direct sun?

At the end of the day these are 'Only Renderings', once we experience this onboard concept it  probably won't look anything like this as there will be plenty of space to shade out of the Sun.  😎

• 8 months later...

Having just cruised on the Koningsdam, I can confirm there is non/no proper promenade deck. There is a narrow passage way completely isolated from sea views by the life boats. To me enough reason not to sail Queen Anne.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 9:37 AM, exlondoner said:

Even on QM2, there is really not room for strolling along the prom deck hand in hand, unless, of course, you don't care about holding up those unfortunate to be behind you. 

Hello:  I am sorry to disagree.  I have sailed on QM2 over 40 times since 2006 and there is plenty of room for strolling hand in hand. I observed numerous lovebirds over the years on theuropetripQM220132364.thumb.jpg.07946ba2fe3f8ff63c12263791404745.jpgeuropetripQM22013022.thumb.jpg.f2c321c150c751ad6dc62c122df621d1.jpgis wonderful deck. Yes, on occasion faster walkers or joggers do have to go around these strollers but it is hardly an issue.  The so-called promenade deck on QA is going to be a huge disappointment.  europetripQM220132364.thumb.jpg.07946ba2fe3f8ff63c12263791404745.jpgeuropetripQM22013022.thumb.jpg.f2c321c150c751ad6dc62c122df621d1.jpgeuropetripQM22013100.thumb.jpg.33538dec25caf152001aee930b5fe4d2.jpgeuropetripQM22013096.thumb.jpg.c71a7561271fae44b25b7707d994af86.jpgeuropetripQM22013193.thumb.jpg.c74035dd67aea0b73b8c731983e41b75.jpg

• Like 1

I posted this on another topic, but unless I’m wrong, QA has a full Prom wrap-around on Deck Three with lifeboats on Deck Four:

https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/inventory-assets/ships/QA/0/decks/QA_accessible_deckplan_apr2022a.pdf

I’m not sure why there is a comparison of QA to the Koningsdam; QA plans show most familiar Cunard venues while not showing any HA unique venues like their Music Walk and their speciality restaurants. 

Unless there is differing information about the QA, outside of the published deck plans, QA looks very much of a Cunard ship. 
The bigger change I see is that Cunard is certainly marketing to the younger demographic with QA offering more “wellness” areas and a larger outdoor pool party venue with a giant video screen. The outside Grills area also looks larger and looks to offer more full-service. 

Edited by NE John

NE John,

you are correct that the deck plans do not make clear the the life boats are on the so-called promenade deck. Unfortunately, this is the case. You are correct also the the interior arrangements are quite different but the basic structure is indeed similar to the Koningsdam which can be confirmed by comparing the deck plans for both ships. Having seen by myself how unpleasant the very narrow and obstructed Deck 3 'corridor' on Koningsdam, it is quite clear that Cunard guest who enjoy walking around and reading on an open deck will be very disappointed.   

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Simon Doyon said:

NE John,

you are correct that the deck plans do not make clear the the life boats are on the so-called promenade deck. Unfortunately, this is the case. You are correct also the the interior arrangements are quite different but the basic structure is indeed similar to the Koningsdam which can be confirmed by comparing the deck plans for both ships. Having seen by myself how unpleasant the very narrow and obstructed Deck 3 'corridor' on Koningsdam, it is quite clear that Cunard guest who enjoy walking around and reading on an open deck will be very disappointed.   

I'm a walker.

There is a Promanade deck.

I will be walking.

I'm not anticipating disappointment.

I'm anticipating 'different', but will wait and until I see the whole product before being disappointed.

I don't anticipate being disappointed. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are a few choke points currently on current Cunard Prom decks that are tight to walk through without yielding way to others -  so it’s hard to find total bliss. 
QA will be different but Cunard is still offering a new (delayed) ship, a new investment in tough times, and an outreach to new/younger pax with nicer outdoor l/wellness amenities. To me, that is optimism. 
We just hope no poolside bellyflop or tattoo contests on QA…
I still believe that many potential passengers under 40 years old like the idea of getting spruced up for a Cunard voyage. Younger colleagues in my office seem envious of my upcoming TA with Gala nights (even if they can’t get dressed properly for a NYC office). 

8 hours ago, Simon Doyon said:

Good attitude. I am a walker like you, and only express my disppointment because I have lived it that way. I hope your experience will be different

I was very disappointed in K'dam's "promenade" deck. It's hard to have a pleasant stroll when you're turning so many corners and walking though narrow industrial-looking passages. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SilverHengroen
On 5/7/2023 at 5:40 PM, NE John said:

There are a few choke points currently on current Cunard Prom decks that are tight to walk through without yielding way to others -  so it’s hard to find total bliss. 
QA will be different but Cunard is still offering a new (delayed) ship, a new investment in tough times, and an outreach to new/younger pax with nicer outdoor l/wellness amenities. To me, that is optimism. 
We just hope no poolside bellyflop or tattoo contests on QA…
I still believe that many potential passengers under 40 years old like the idea of getting spruced up for a Cunard voyage. Younger colleagues in my office seem envious of my upcoming TA with Gala nights (even if they can’t get dressed properly for a NYC office). 

While I’m a little disappointed with the lack of promenade deck chair offerings, hopefully it will still serve as a walking route, and I can enjoy the open spaces topside for sitting out. I think Queen Victoria will remain the ship of choice for warm weather sailings, but it’s nice to have a choice of 3 different ships from a convenient port. Variety is of course the spice of life 🙂