Rental cars Fort Lauderdale

florence11

Hi,

We are hiring a car for a few days in Fort Lauderdale before we start our cruise. Is there a drop off place anywhere near the cruise terminal as we only seem to be able to choose  airport on web sites and is it possible to walk to the ship or do we have to have transport.

Thanks 😊 

59 minutes ago, florence11 said:

Hi,

We are hiring a car for a few days in Fort Lauderdale before we start our cruise. Is there a drop off place anywhere near the cruise terminal as we only seem to be able to choose  airport on web sites and is it possible to walk to the ship or do we have to have transport.

Thanks 😊 

I'm not aware of any car rental drop off points at Port Everglades, but others might.  Walking from the airport to the cruise port is NOT FEASIBLE.  You'd need a cab/UBER/shuttle bus to do it.

If you dropped off the rental car the morning of the cruise departure you could probably get a Princess airport transfer.  On my last departure from Port Everglades, I flew in two days early, rented a car for the middle day, returned it to the airport, took a shuttle from the airport to my hotel, and then a hotel shuttle to the cruise port on departure day.

We have a cruise in November '22, arriving a few days ahead of the voyage to ensure we get to FLL from BOS in case of air delays. Upon arrival in FLL, we are heading to the airport rental center to pick up our reserved Enterprise vehicle and then  to Hyatt House. At the present time, there isn't a return site by the port, so we'll return the car to the airport location the morning of the cruise and either taxi or Uber to the port. 

Darcy

If you drop your car at the airport you will have to take a taxi/uber to the ship. Way too far to walk. Cost is around $20/25 for two and it is around 15 minutes. I would not rely on a Princess shuttle. More expensive and you have to wait for a bus to fill.

• Like 1

One thought here. If you want to reduce the amount of bag schlepping, drive the rental to the cruise port and drop off your bags first. Spouse can stay at the port and start check-in if they wish. Take the car back to the agency and if you do choose a Princess shuttle, you only have to pay for one person. However, I kind of like the Avis option ... unless Avis is much more expensive than the other agencies.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

However, I kind of like the Avis option ... unless Avis is much more expensive than the other agencies.

Wouldn't you have to pick up the car at the cruise port too?  Avis might not want airport>cruise port rentals.

21 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Wouldn't you have to pick up the car at the cruise port too?  Avis might not want airport>cruise port rentals.

Not usually a problem with the airport so close to the cruiseport.

2 hours ago, DCThunder said:

No - I am picking the car up from MIA and returning it to the FortLauderdale Cruise Port Shuttle. I booked online and selected both pick up and drop off on their drop down menus.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alcairns said:

We are booking a car with Avis in March next year. They have a drop off point  at the Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Shuttle. 

https://www.avis.com/en/locations/us/fl/fort-lauderdale/qf1

Budget shares this location.  We picked up the car at FLL, returned it here and took their shuttle to the pier.  We went to the port first to drop the bags before returning the car.

• Thanks 1

There are no rental car locations directly at  Port Everglades. There are a few locations that are right outside of the Port. They include Alamo which has a location on Eller Drive. Normally I drop my family off at Port Everglades along with our luggage. I then return the rental at Hollywood Fort Lauderdale International Airport and take a car over to the Port. A cab usually costs between fifteen and twenty dollars for the short ten minute ride. When I arrive at the Port on the conclusion of my cruise we hop in a cab for the short ride over to the Rental Car Center.